♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 136 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. The forum slowing to a crawl. It did that to stop this.

2. The forum going down while I'm finishing the next elimination

[​IMG]

The reason the forum went down being that the speed issues were being fixed

[​IMG]

3. That would have been too obvious dd

I still hate that the result of the collaboration between Florence and FF was just this super lame cover

4. Then you clearly need to listen to more.

5. R27

R27

There are two original tracks as well! "Too Much is Never Enough" and "I Will Be."

6. I... somehow either completely forgot about those or had no idea they even existed (though Too Much Is Never Enough is apparently the FFXV credits song, so I must've listened to it at least once)

I just had a listen to them and I Will Be is actually really beautiful

londonrain, Blond, slaybellz and 3 others like this.
  7. The way I thought I'd take care of the elimination early and I'd be done for the day, but now it turns out I have no reason not to do a second one today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teen Idle
    Electra Heart 4/6
    10 (17) soratami @Dijah. @Ana Raquel @Pinky25 @Remyky22 @Pineapple @Robsolete @Trouble in Paradise @eatyourself @ufint @Island @Music Is Death @ohnostalgia @unnameable @Cutlery @Oleander @Butterfly | 9.5 (3) @Sleet @M24 @swim
    3.5 @j267 | 4.5 @klow | 5 @KingBruno

#78 - #67 - #52 - #50 - #47 - #43 - #38

Despite losing no songs until #54, Marina is now down to half her selection, which means that, aside from Florence and Lorde, every artist in the rate is now down to three or less songs. Teen Idle received the second most 10s so far, and, Florence/Lorde aside, it's the second best performing non-single, after Boy In Paris.

Teen Idle was written by Marina and produced by Liam Howe and was released in April 2012 as the ninth track on Electra Heart. According to Marina, the Electra Heart persona represents four different female pop culture archetypes - House Wife, Beauty Queen, Homewrecker and Idle Teen ("magnifications of certain parts of me and of every woman"), and Teen Idle, which focuses on the former, is the "Story of my suicidal cheerleader youth! This song was like my last hurrah of adolescence." Despite being only an album track, Teen Idle remains one of Marina's most popular songs, which isn't surprising as it's not only an immaculately produced song but also features some of Marina's best, most hard-hitting lyrics, with the theme of feeling like you're wasting or have wasted your youth resonating with a lot of people, and especially LGBTQ+ people. Personally, the bridge is my favourite part of the song:

I wish I wasn't such a narcissist
    I wish I didn't really kiss the mirror when I’m on my own
    Oh God, I’m gonna die alone
    Adolescence didn’t make sense
    A little loss of innocence
    The ugly years of being a fool
    Ain't youth meant to be beautiful?

[​IMG]

@saviodxl (7.1) “But isn't she a Teen Idle? Is she calling her fan base old?” During the Electra Heart era Marina was definitely a teen idol, but she was singing about her teenage self here, who was just an idle teen.

@Phonetics Girl (8) "never a fave but TBQH she said more on social issues and mental health here than with anything she served in the last 2 years"

@berserkboi (8.5) “Not 100% into it but very good!”

@Maki (8.5) “Another one of those fan favorites, which totally makes sense. The lyrics are amazing, as well as the most of the song. I always wanted something even more sad melodically from it, in order to fit those lyrics even more. The delivery juxtaposition in the 'feeling super, super, super...' bit is great and so clever, though. Since it nearly reached top 5 in Marina's rate, I presume it will do really well here, too.”

@pop3blow2 (8.9) “The only score I am changing from my Marina rate ballot. It was an 8.5 there. I almost want to push this to an A-, but have settled on B+. Seeing her live made me think of this song differently & really shines in that environment.”

@DJHazey (9) ““Feeling super super super suicidal” combined with Marina’s unique delivery never fails to astonish me. Fly on a wall when every great songwriter at the time heard that for the first time. “Oh God, I’m gonna die alone” - Thanks Mom, no lies detected though.”

@livefrommelbs (9) "Electra Heart is one of my best friend's fave albums (the taste!), and whenever I hear this I think of him flogging it to the point I was entirely sick of it. Still, have a 9."

@Alphableat (9) “Devastating lyrics, sublime production.” Perfect way to sum up the song in four words really.

@Runawaywithme (9) "I think the drama works here, oh to be a suicidal sixteen-year-old listening to this while scrolling Tumblr again dddd. (just kidding, kinda)"

@Untouchable Ace (9.1) “Only here because it demonstrates an archetype.” It's here because it's one of Marina's best and most well-liked songs.

@Dijah. (10) “The way I discovered this song during my first ever depressive episode and kept listening to it instead of getting a therapist… Queen! (I’m gonna go off myself now.)”

@Pinky25 (10) “This came out when I had been out of high school for at least a year and I remember really feeling “old” like I had missed out on my youth. It was almost my 11.”

@Pineapple (10) “She didn’t let the Tumblr girls breathe with this one.”

@ohnostalgia (10) “Despite my trio of co-morbid mental illnesses, I never personally relate to songs about horrible teenage years. Teen Idle is simultaneously a song that drives at very real experiences, but also shines a spotlight on how society stereotypically portrays suicide and mental illness in girls and women. As I know that a lot of Electra Heart is built on personas, I’m giving Marina the win here for subtly challenging stereotypes while honouring those who lived the experience.”

@Cutlery (10) "This song got me through a lot in angsty times. It's part of me now."

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Fixing the forum was a mistake.

10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This Florence and Lorde slayage - we love to see it!!

11. The way two of my biggest faves in the rate got eliminated back to back like that... I hate it here.

To be honest, both could have lost at least one song by now. That said, Florence got one of the highest averages from me so I'm not mad she's doing this well, her song selection really is nearly bulletproof.

12. 'Motorway' scraping into the top 40 seems on brand for Little Boots. Still, a bit of a downer. I know her discography rate was several years ago, but I believe it won.... and it could only muster #39 here.

I loved your write-up @soratami. It really is some of her best lyrics (maybe up there with 'Help Too' or 'Business Pleasure' off of Working Girl. 'Business Pleasure' is very much the sister song to 'Motorway' to me.) Motorway really does paint such great picture as a song. The words. The production. Just perfection.

13. Marina singing that to a classroom full of primary age kids. An actual cultural reset.

14. Primadonna and Power & Control are definitely not better than this but ok

15. R.I.P Aaliyah (Feat. Jessie Ware)

soratami likes this.
  16. Finally my commentary not getting dragged by you!

17. "Teen Idle" is so dark lyrically and some parts are very hopeful sonically. Such a clever song. I might've underscored it a tiny bit, though my score didn't count anyways.

Even though I didn't expect it to be outlasted by three songs by Marina, it's a bit comforting knowing it's my lowest out of the scores for her remaining songs.

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  18. Teen Idle being out at #38 is ridiculous.

19. That's what you get when you're not one of the lowest scorers for a change dd

Aaliyah wasn't a proper single, but it was a standalone release quite a long time before the album came out, so I don't quite consider it just an album track in the same way as Teen Idle or Boy In Paris are.

20. I cannot at these results!! Teen Idle before Boy in Paris? Cruel by foxes?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.