♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 148 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. B #11

[​IMG]

Cool Girl
    Tove Lo
    11 (3) @saviodxl @Pineapple @ufint | 10 (10) @elektroxx @boombazookajoe @Conan @swim @eatyourself @Music Is Death @Remorque @Sail On @OspreyQueen @ohnostalgia | 9.25 (2) @DJHazey @Dijah.
    3 @Sprockrooster | 6 @berserkboi | 6.5 (2) @Verandi @Maki
    Host's score: 7

#7 - #17 - #13 - #12 - #11

Cool Girl was written by Swedish singer-songwriter Tove Lo and The Struts, who also produced it. It was released in August 2016 as the lead single from her sophomore album Lady Wood.

@Sprockrooster (3) "Christ. I am so over and done with this boring tracks that rely on a dated drop. No idea what the message is from the song, but DAMN I can't look past it being such a racket."

@berserkboi (6) "Pretty good for the production elements, don’t actually love how repetitive it is or the lyrics all that much!”

@Maki (6.5) "The production is great and the song is fine, but this H&M-lite sound isn't really for me.”

@londonrain (8) “Does this hit the same if you haven’t seen Gone Girl?”

@Phonetics Girl (8.5) "so many layers. not an immediate fave but a solid track that never gets old"

@livefrommelbs (9) "Not the best Lady Wood song to represent our queen of the clouds, but a bop all the same"

@DJHazey (9.25) “Gotta support the queen of the clouds when I can even if my love for Lady Wood has grown lukewarm over the years. This and True Disaster will always go off though.”

@ohnostalgia (10) “Habits (Stay High) is one of the first songs I think of when it comes to quirky pop that made it to radio. I guess what I’m saying is Tove Lo should’ve made the debut rate. But Cool Girl is a great choice from her sophomore era.”

@saviodxl (11) “I love the "I like you, but make it casual" ironic vibe here. And of course, the dancing chorus! Tove is a pop genius and knows audiences (mainly her audience) crave female veracity and vulnerability, and well, she delivers. In her own brilliant way. A shame that regarding charts Cool Girl wasn't really successful. But it makes the song even cooler for future generations somehow.”

@Pinky25 (11) “I’m assuming I’m supposed to give an 11 in this part too?”

@ufint (11) “I will never not stan Tove. I saw her at a festival with a bunch of drunk 18-year-olds a year and a half ago. Her timeslot was 5:30 and no one really gave a shit. Lucky for me, unlucky for her and an asshole move from all those little shitheads. I was front row and got to see her up close. She truly is the very definition of a cool girl.”

+ Tove Lo

Her second single and biggest hit, released in 2013:

Another hit from her debut album Queen Of The Clubs:

The fantastic second single from Lady Wood:

One of the singles from her fourth and latest album Sunshine Kitty, released in 2019:

2. Not Cool Girls

Were we in the same festival? Mighty Hoopla?

3. Side B
    Top 10

Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission

Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
    Oh Land - Sun Of A Gun

Carly Rae Jepsen - This Kiss
    Paloma Faith - 30 Minute Love Affair
    The xx - Angels

Austra - Home
    Lissie - Further Away (Romance Police)
    V V Brown - The Apple

Alexandra Stan - Give Me Your Everything
    Kyla La Grange - Cut Your Teeth

CHRVCHES - Leave A Trace
    Tove Styrke - Borderline

AlunaGeorge - I’m In Control
    BANKS - Gemini Feed
    Broods - Free
    Clare Maguire - Elizabeth Taylor
    Laura Mvula - Phenomenal Woman
    Niki & The Dove - You Want The Sun
    Tinashe - Company
    Tove Lo - Cool Girl

Allie X - Paper Love
    HAIM - Want You Back
    London Grammar - Oh Woman Oh Man
    Loreen - ‘71 Charger
    Vera Blue - Lady Powers

Christine and the Queens - Girlfriend
    Let’s Eat Grandma - Falling Into Me
    Say Lou Lou - Golden Child

FKA twigs - holy terrain
    MUNA - Number One Fan
    Shura - religion (u can lay your hands on me)

4. I forgot that "Cool Girl" was still in, which kinda speaks for itself. Re-listening to it, it's really nice, but I still wouldn't score it higher than a 7. It definitely doesn't benefit from sounding stereotypically 2016.

However, "Habits (Stay High)" is properly great, always loved that song.
    And that Kylie collab is pretty good, too - I remember it did surprisingly well in Kylie's rate.

Looking at the top 10 of side B rate, I'm really going to be among the lowest scorers for most of the songs...

5. We love a collection of excellent, unique, quirky songs.

And This Kiss.

6. Hadn't noticed before posting this, but it's pretty cool how, @2014 aside, every year in the decade is represented in the top 10.

7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Out of Side B I think I'd rank them;

1 Number One Fan
    2 Girlfriend
    3 This Kiss
    4 Religion
    5 Gemini Feed
    6 I Follow Rivers
    7 Further Away
    8 On A Mission
    9 Leave A Trace
    10 Paper Love

Love them all though (Paper Love....not so much)

8. In the B-Side Top 10 I have 2 7.5's, 2 8's, 2 8.5's, 3 9's and 1 10 (watch my 10 go next).

9. My 3 is alive and well - yeaaaaaaah!!!

Forgot I gave Tove a Lo score!

10. I have one 7, one 8, one 9, six 10s and my 11. And speaking of 11s, only twenty-three Side B ones remain. After the Cool Girl elimination, half the Side B voters have lost theirs. But 11s were bound to be spread out given the variety of artists in Side B.

11. It’s a great Top 10 (I mean it’s Pj so I knew Carly would be in contention for the win) but I’m still burned Laura Mvula didn’t make it! Still wish I gave Lissie a 10 cause that song is easily my rate discovery

12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The “cool girl” monologue I mentioned in my commentary. This is what inspired the lyrics of the song.

13. If only the song were as good as what inspired it.

14. My side B 11 is still in. But after sitting with these tracks for months now, there's a track left that I'd rather see outlast it.

15. Good cuts. Glad my other contender for my 11 in side B managed to get a top 10 there. Silver linings!!

soratami, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  16. If we ventured into third album territory, Disco Tits would be a legitimate contender for my 11. I love it so much.

17. I Follow Rivers, Number One Fan, Girlfriend, Religion, and Gemini Feed should be top 5.

Sail On, soratami and Untouchable Ace like this.
  18. NOOOOOO!!! Well she had a good run. I would have liked to have seen What The Water Gave Me be her first song to go but judging by ya'lls comments it will probably be one of her last standing songs. All her other songs are 10+ though and deserve Top 20 at the very least!

And Cool Girl is a cute girl, but it was the right time for her to go.

19. I have lost so many 10s already I only have 2 left now. Here is my personal ranking:

10 Shura - religion
    09 Muna - Number One Fan
    08 CHRVCHES - Leave A Trace

07 Allie X - Paper Love
    06 Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
    05 BANKS - Gemini Feed
    04 Lissie - Further Away (Romance Police)
    03 Christine and the Queens - Girlfriend
    02 Carly Rae Jepsen - This Kiss
    01 Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission

20. ddd, but yeah. I do think True Disaster would've done better had it been included instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.