♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 152 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Kyle., j267, BubblegumBoy and 3 others like this.
  2. "Boom Clap" is pretty good and bops for a bit, though I've never really been drawn to it that much. Pretty sure it's my lowest remaining score out of the songs I rated in the main rate.

j267 and soratami like this.
  3. You monsters. This was, is, and will be a total bop for the years.

Also, ft; Charli XCX is one of the greatest artists of all time.

4. The next elimination will be coming in a bit, but since I haven't actually posted a hint about it:

One of the main rate artists with two or three songs left will be losing one.

5. Boom Clap is kinda enjoyable? Like, it's basic as hell and very dumb but miss XCX at least tried to sing on this one and the intro is a bitsy iconic.

Having said that...

@XCXselection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And by work I mean make my daily call for Power & Control's head. That corpse is already rotten and the Top 25 is not a place for ha.

6. [​IMG]

7. Might've gotten some of the details wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Power & Control
    Electra Heart 3/6
    11 @londonrain | 10 (18) @Reboot @DJHazey soratami @sfmartin @MilesAngel @dontkillmyvibe @Pinky25 @Untouchable Ace @Pineapple @Ugly Beauty @elektroxx @swim @Island @OspreyQueen @Music Is Death @Runawaywithme @Butterfly | 9.5 (7) @saviodxl @BubblegumBoy @Dijah. @m_dimitrov @ufint @unnameable @sapnu puas
    4 @j267 | 5 (4) @Phonetics Girl @klow @Verandi @Stradiwhovius

#44 - #39 - #32 - #24 - #29 - #31 - #26

Aside from Florence and Lorde, Marina was the only artist in the rate to have three or more songs left and, well, not anymore. Now all but those two have either two or one (or zero) songs left, while Florence and Lorde are still at five and six respectively, and take up 44% of the top 25. We love a balanced rate.

Power & Control was written by Marina and Steve Angello and produced by Greg Kurstin, and it was released in July 2012 as the second single from Electra Heart. Despite Primadonna's success, Power & Control was a big flop, barely making the top 200 in the UK and not charting anywhere else. I'm not sure why this happened, maybe the label just didn't push it properly since they'd already used the campaign's budget on recording fifteen different music videos (Marina did go on to say she bankrupted her label during this era, even if she wasn't being totally serious nn), or maybe it was because it was a post-album single and everyone who cared about Marina had already bought the album? At least How To Be A Heartbreaker, which was released a few months later, was a semi-hit I guess. Power & Control was likely written back in 2010, and was initially meant to be included in die Life, the original version of Marina's sophomore album, before she adopted the whole Electra Heart concept. According to Marina "Power & Control is a song about relationships and how there’s always a power struggle. In the relationships that I’ve had, one person or the other wants the upper hand and I find that interesting, how in any relationship really, it’s quite rare for both people to feel equal. I guess that’s when it’s right, when both people don’t feel that one’s the weak one or the strong one." Although it was never confirmed, it's possible the song might have been inspired by Marina's relationship with Hurts lead singer Theo Hutchcraft, as they were dating around the time it was written. Power & Control is an excellent bop, but it doesn't quite feel like a top 20 kind of girl, so much like the last couple of cuts, it feels like it's getting eliminated at the right time (which is not to say certain other songs still left shouldn't have been eliminated first nn).

@Phonetics Girl (5) "kinda bare bones and reductive."

@Alphableat (6) ““You may be good looking but you’re not a piece of art” is a great line. The constituent parts of this are all great, but it doesn’t quite hang together for me. Disjointed.” I find that line a little corny if I'm being honest nn

@godspeed (7.5) “I never really cared for this song but, thanks to this rate, I now do!”

@berserkboi (8) “Great chorus!”

@ohnostalgia (8.5) “Murder is in the air.” "I don't care, I love the smell of it."

@Cutlery (8.5) "The piano is so so mesmerizing, the chorus bangs and The Artist Formerly Known as Marina and the Diamonds sings about beating a narcissist at his own game like she's in a telenovela with such drama that it drowns out any meaningful criticism I may have for the song."

@BubblegumBoy (9.5) “The ultimate bondage bop ddd”

@Maki (9.75) “Great choice for a single, even though it did almost nothing chart-wise (undeservingly, of course). That chorus is pure joy. Special mention for the brilliant production, especially those synths in the chorus (you know what I'm talking about, right?). The switch-up after the second chorus is another amazing moment, as well as the final chorus, where she alters the lyrics. The only thing that made me not give it a 10 is that, when comparing it to "Primadonna" and "Bubblegum Bitch", it misses that something extra special, but definitely remains one of the album highs.”

@DJHazey (10) “I wavered on making my Marina scores more ‘varied’ but come on this has always been a 10/10 too and always will be.”

@livefrommelbs (10) "The best song on Electra Heart - and arguably Marina's best PERIOD'T."

@Pinky25 (10) “This was more in line with TFJ but with a more polished sound.”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “I love this song but Marina needed to keep showing the world fun with her singles 'Bubblegum Bitch' before this.”

@Runawaywithme (10) "I love how dark this is, but also how much it goes off, the squelching synths that build and build, creating that foreboding atmosphere until that amazing climax are *chef's kiss*. Also "You may be good lookin' but you're not a piece of art" - possibly one of my favourite lyrics featured in this whole rate.”

@londonrain (11) “One of my top 20 songs of all time, and my favourite song of the 2010s. The riff, the video, the lyrics… Marina really did THAT with this song. It really didn’t deserve to be the flop single that derailed her chart career.”

Last edited: May 4, 2021

9. One of the dumbest single choices in the history of pop music. Imagine killing an album campaign like that when multiple potential smashes were left to rot.

10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You’ve pinpointed exactly why I love Boom Clap so much, thanks! Also the image of Charli diligently writing this for Hillary Duff just makes it even more charming to me now.

11. Charlotte being the next artist eliminated was not something that I saw coming, but y'all did her dirty throughout this rate, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Although neither should have made it as far as they did, "Primadonna" should've been eliminated before "Power & Control," imo.

Pinky25 and soratami like this.
  12. As much as I love power and control; I agree. It’s more like a fourth single choice but I loved it because it sounded more in line with TFJ’s but a bit more expensive. Starring Role or Lonely hearts club would have been better single choices.

Boom Clap is one of the best pop songs ever created. The feelings it evokes makes it so good.

13. I absolutely love the verses of Power & Control, but the chorus is just too nothingy for me that it really brings the song down.

And given that the whole point of the Electra Heart era was about ''selling out'' in order to get more commercial success, releasing that as the second single was a fucking bizarre choice... There were plenty of single worthy tracks left on the album (whether they'd have done well is another matter) but whoever chose that to release shouldn't be working in the music industry.

Verandi and soratami like this.
  14. Power & Control did so badly in the charts, there must've been more to it than it simply being the wrong single choice. I don't think you really go from a #11 single to a #193 single simply based on the second song's supposed lack of quality/single-worthiness, the label probably just really didn't push it properly/at all.

15. As they should!

16. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Me and my 30 likes remain unbothered
    [​IMG]

17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

As if any other Electra Heart songs would’ve performed much better in the charts teebs, maybe if it had been Primadonna - Radioactive it would have been a different story though.

londonrain, Pinky25 and soratami like this.
  18. @soratami I gave this a 9.5 but I'm not in the list, just to make sure! I loved Electra Heart at the time it came out but I feel I've disconnected with it over the years. I ate up all the videos/visuals at the time, including Power & Control.

Also, I'm amazed my 11 is still hanging in there.

19. Yes you did and it's in the spreadsheet, I just missed it but it's been added to the elimination post now.

20. Today:

Two Side B cuts, one from the first half of the decade and the other from the second.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.