♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 162 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

[​IMG]

Never Let Me Go
    Ceremonials 5/6
    11 (2) @An Insider @berserkboi | 10 (22) soratami @sfmartin @livefrommelbs @BubblegumBoy @Sleet @Hurricane Drunk @Dijah. @dontkillmyvibe @Remyky22 @Untouchable Ace @M24 @Conan @Trouble in Paradise @eatyourself @godspeed @slaybellz @elektroxx @Blond @vague @Runawaywithme @unnameable @Oleander | 9.5 (2) @Phonetics Girl @Robsolete
    3.5 @Stradiwhovius | 4.5 @j267 | 5.3 @saviodxl

#3 - #21 - #22 - #21 - #25 - #21 - #21

Just missing the top 20 is Florence's Never Let Me Go, which is one of the only five songs eliminated so far to have received multiple 11s, is tied for My Blood for the second most 10s so far, and is also the first song eliminated to have been in the top 3 at one point, as you can see above, even though it was swiftly kicked out of the top 20 and never managed to climb back in through the rest of the voting period. I said "just missing", but it wasn't actually that close, the song at #20 received 3.75 more points, which might not seem like a lot, but is actually nearly the same as the point difference as between #21 and #25.

Never Let Me Go was written by Florence, Paul Epworth and Kid Harpoon and produced by Paul Epworth, and it was released in March 2012 as the third single from Ceremonials. The song charted at #82 in the UK, but it did a lot better in a few other countries, namely Australia, where it was a huge hit. With its lyrics about the sea and drowning, the song is a sort of continuation of What The Water Gave Me, which comes before it in the Ceremonials tracklist, and going by the commentary some really couldn't handle so many songs about water, which seems like a bit of an odd thing to have issues with, but to each their own I guess. According to Florence, the song's gospel element "comes from my obsession with hymns. I'm drawn to anything that has a hymnal quality, be it Spiritualized or dusty old albums by Georgian choirs." The music video was directed by Tabitha Denholm, who also did most of the Lungs videos, and described it as "a flipside of the sun-drenched Rabbit Heart video. In our mind it was the spirit of the drowned girl who had achieved some kind of reprieve for the night. She is drawn to the ice. There she dreams about a lover but she is inevitably reclaimed by the dark water." I've always liked Never Let Me Go but it was never really a song I returned to a whole lot, but this rate actually helped it become my third favourite Ceremonials song, it really could have made the top 20.

@Stradiwhovius (3.5) "I promise to only punish one song for half the album constantly bleating about water and drowning"

@ohnostalgia (7.5) “I know water is Florence’s thing, but there’s only so much I can take.”

@DJHazey (7.75) “The sound of the battle-hardened hero who had to make a lot of questionable decisions along the way, now collapses inside the church and offers their confessions and asks for forgiveness. It’s not about what we did to get here, but more about where our heart was and always has been.”

@OspreyQueen (8) “Probably one of my least listened-to Florence songs, hence me tanking it with *gasp* an 8.”

@Cutlery (8) "Not to sound like an anti-ballad gal which, rest assured, I'm not, but this would be my pick for the least strong Flo cut. It's just that the tight songwriting strength I can hear in most of the other cuts has never worked perfectly here for me. The theme is beautiful, still, as is her undying devotion to the ocean."

@pop3blow2 (8.4) “I guess my love for Lungs was so high that many of the songs here just always felt like they were slightly lesser songs straining to reach levels that felt natural on her debut. This is one of those for me.”

@Kyle. (9) “We love the Titanic don't we girls?” The director pitching the concept for the We're Good music video.

@Alphableat (9) “Sorry Celine, THIS is my sinking ship anthem xoxo”

@Phonetics Girl (9.5) "a MOMENT in her discography. i don't go near water but the way she expressed the relief of letting it take you - i believe her i believe her"

@livefrommelbs (10) "This has always been my fave on Ceremonials. It's fragile and powerful all at once, a poem delivered beautifully".

@BubblegumBoy (10) “I always wanted her to do some deep sea themed video for this instead we got some ice skating thing which I think was a metaphor to global warming?”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “She looks like Morgana at some points.”

@godspeed (10) “I really loved this song, I feel like although some might dismiss it as another powerhouse ballad, I’ve always found it very striking and captivating. I always use expressions such as “musical landscape” or “atmosphere” and “mood” when I talk about Florence + The Machine’s music, and here that’s once again what makes a difference and turns this impressively orchestrated song into something more than this. To me, it really feels like a dive into someone’s story and personal storm. Florence takes you in and it sort of feels like you’re witnessing everything that she sings about in real time, as if you were standing right next to her and you were a quiet observer of the scene. The dreamy qualities of the production – especially the first few seconds of the song that feel like the reflection of the moonlight on water to me – and Florence’s visual songwriting (“And it's peaceful in the deep/Cathedral where you cannot breathe”) paint a surrealist picture and turn this emotionally powerful song into something truly splendid and captivating, the kind of music you get lost in because it’s so ingeniously crafted and offers a very complete atmosphere and experience. I feel like, because it’s one of Florence + The Machine’s most accessible songs, “Never Let Me Go” rarely gets the love or the praise that it deserves when it’s in reality, to me, a genuinely spectacular piece of music and one of her finest.”

@Runawaywithme (10) "It’s no secret on here that I’ve had some pretty intense mental health struggles over the years. I remember discovering this song when I was in the absolute worst place I have ever been in my whole entire life. Extremely depressed, suicidal and completely and utterly consumed by grief. I would listen to this song on repeat and fantasize about what it would feel like to actually drown. It gave me such a sense of relief and catharsis. And in a very strange way, hope. I don't feel like that anymore, but this song has changed its meaning for me to now become a triumphant anthem that reminds me how far I've come"

@An Insider (11) "I award this song my 11. Sonically overwhelming and ambitious with its magnificent use of drums and backing vocals, it creates an atmosphere that is both ethereal and intimate. It conjures an image of being stuck in the middle of the Arctic island, pulling a blanket over you and your loved one, hoping it keeps both of you warm enough to stay alive."

@berserkboi (11) “One of my absolute favourites from Florence!”

2. One of my all time favourite songs.

3. Top 20

Ceremonials
    Only If For A Night
    Shake It Out
    What The Water Gave Me
    Never Let Me Go
    No Light, No Light

Spectrum
    4/6

Master of My Make-Believe
    GO! (feat. Karen O)
    Disparate Youth
    God from the Machine
    The Riot's Gone
    The Keepers
    Big Mouth

1/6

Electra Heart
    Bubblegum Bitch
    Primadonna
    Power & Control
    Fear and Loathing
    Teen Idle

Radioactive
    2/6

Anxiety
    Girl Like Me
    Sunday Drive
    Black White & Blue
    Vaccine
    Blue Eyes
    Anxiety

0/6

Halcyon (Days)
    My Blood
    Anything Could Happen
    Figure 8
    Hanging On
    Burn
    Goodness Gracious

0/6

Nocturnes
    Motorway
    Broken Record
    Shake
    Every Night I Say a Prayer
    Satellite
    Headphones

0/6

Trouble
    Problem
    Stop Me
    Boys Don't Cry

Saturday Night
    Devils Don't Fly
    Trouble

1/6

The Electric Lady
    Givin' 'Em What They Love (feat. Prince)
    Q.U.E.E.N. (feat. Erykah Badu)
    Electric Lady (feat. Solange)
    Primetime (feat. Miguel)
    Dance Apocalyptic
    Ghetto Woman

2/6

Music To Make The Boys Cry
    Music to Make Boys Cry
    Cinderella
    Boy in Paris
    Smoke
    Better in French
    Blame Game

1/6

Little Red
    5 AM
    Aaliyah (feat. Jessie Ware)
    Crying for No Reason
    Everything
    Still
    Sky's the Limit

2/6

Trouble In Paradise
    Uptight Downtown
    Kiss And Not Tell
    Cruel Sexuality
    Sexotheque
    Tropical Chancer
    Let Me Down Gently

0/6

Tough Love
    Tough Love
    You & I (Forever)
    Cruel
    Kind Of...Sometimes...Maybe
    Want Your Feeling

Champagne Kisses
    1/6

Sucker
    Sucker
    Break the Rules
    Boom Clap
    Doing It (feat. Rita Ora)
    Body of My Own
    Famous

0/6

All I Need
    Better Love
    Body Talk
    Cruel
    Amazing
    Feet Don't Fail Me Now
    Shoot Me Down

1/6

Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    100 Letters
    Eyes Closed
    Alone
    Now Or Never
    Bad At Love
    Strangers

0/6

Melodrama
    Green Light
    Sober
    Homemade Dynamite
    The Louvre
    Supercut
    Perfect Places
    5/6

Bonus Track
    Just Desserts
    0/1

4. Taste babe <3

Also #21 of my Favourite Songs Of the Decade (2010-2019) as I recall it being my final cut when submitting my Ultimate Song Top 20!

5. Well I got one wish. I'm glad we didn't lose an artist. And if we had to lose a Florence, I'm glad it's not one of my 4 10's, and instead a 9.5.

londonrain and soratami like this.
  6. Titanic-related excellence?

7. No, not "Never Let Me Go." I didn't realize that this wasn't a favorite.

8. Never Let Me Go at #21??? This was my backup 11!!!

9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Very pleasantly surprised Disparate Youth is still here, that top 20 is mostly right.

10. I've always been g̶r̶o̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t confused at this forum's lukewarm reaction to Never Let Me Go, EASILY the best song on Ceremonials and a career highlight. Among all of Florence's bombastic moments, and that album alone contains so many of them, hardly ANY come close to the final chorus of Never Let Me Go. Maybe Cosmic Love and How Big, only these two could actually legitimately compete with conveying such an overwhelming feeling. Maybe cause I'm quite a bit of a romantic, but I really love Flo's songs about falling in love, so I was always fascinated by How Big and Never Let Me Go sound so different in portraying different shades of the same feeling. While HBHBHB sounds liberating, majestic and free, Never Let Me Go almost sounds suffocating in exploring the depth of the feeling. Like air and water, like flying and drowning respectively. Anyway, Never Let Me Go is just gorgeous, those choral chants make it, and deserved to stay in over everything that's left from Ceremonials.

11. Jinxin, but my ideal top 10 would look something like this:
    1. Supercut
    2. The Louvre
    3. Q.U.E.E.N.
    4. Radioactive
    5. Crying for No Reason
    6. Shake It Out
    7. Saturday Night
    8. Body Talk
    9. Green Light
    10. Disparate Youth

I'd be happy with any of these + Electric Lady, Sober or Perfect Places winning the entire thing, teebs.

soratami and berserkboi like this.
  12. I've always had a soft spot for this remix.

godspeed, MilesAngel and soratami like this.
  13. Never Let Me Go is far more poignant in an album that goes so loud and hard. It was the last thing on her setlist at her Alexandra Palace gig and it was such a strangely haunting way to end the set. It's something that would far and away be the highlight of another artists discography but for her it fits comfortably alongside the rest of her material for me. The way she can always bring it to the table is like nothing else.

14. Well the Top 5 B-Sides could've been better:

Luckily I'm okay with both main rate songs going at this point.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    soratami and Untouchable Ace like this.
  15. I wonder if @soratami rigged the results after my dig at his 11 choice, because how on earth did Allie X and CHVRCHES scammed their way into the top 5?

Lykke Li deserved top 3 placement at the very least, since it's far and away the best song in the entire top 10. I was about to ask where's my comment for the song, but looks like it's the only B side rate song I didn't write any commentary for, so I'm the fool here. Anyways, "I Follow Rivers" such a monumental song with brilliant production, unique vocals and enchanting melody - I've loved it since forever, to the point I consider it a classic.
    At least there are four tasteful voters who gave it their 11, too.

My remaining scores for B side rate are... quite tragic:

16. Today...

We reach the Side B top 3! Can't really give any hints at this point, so you'll just have to wait and see.

17. My remaining Side B scores are

Could be better, since I gave twenty of the Side B songs 9+ scores, and only rated six below 8.

18. I guess hitting the top 20 is a good time to have a little survey again:
    1. What song will be eliminated next?
    2. What song should be eliminated next?
    3. What song should still be here?
    4. What's your ideal top 10?

And since it's been a while since I brought this up - don't forget to vote in the Favourite Songs Not In The Rate poll!

19. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  20. 1. Saturday Night
    2. The Louvre
    3. Boy In Paris
    4. See Below

10. Perfect Places (I've accepted that a Lorde song will be Top 10, and this is my favoruite.
    Although realistically it will be Green Light)
    9. Primadonna
    8. What The Water Gave Me
    7. Radioactive
    6. Only If For A Night
    5. 5AM
    4. Body Talk
    3. Music to Make Boys Cry
    2. Spectrum
    1. Shake It Out

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.