♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 165 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. B #3

[​IMG]

On A Mission
    Gabriella Cilmi
    11 (4) @BubblegumBoy @Remorque @Island @londonrain | 10 (15) soratami @sfmartin @elektroxx @livefrommelbs @Crisp X @Sprockrooster @Ana Raquel @Pinky25 @Pineapple @Aester @Conan @swim @Verandi @Robsolete @Cutlery | 9.5 (4) @berserkboi @Music Is Death @ohnostalgia @sapnu puas
    3 (2) @j267 @Hurricane Drunk | 4 @Trinu 3.0

#8 - #14 - #12 - #11 - #3

On A Mission was released in February 2010 as the lead single from Australian singer-songwriter Gabriella Cilmi's sophomore album Ten. It was written by Gabriella and The Invisible Men, who also produced it.

@Stradiwhovius (7.5) "as a man who will happily give up I struggle to relate to this"

@Maki (7.75) “PJ00s winner vibes. A great bop - I especially like the chorus and outro here.”

@saviodxl (8) “The remix tho…”

@Trouble in Paradise (8) “I'll give it a 8 even if it's a bit much, I can't help but love how much she commits. I'll always be about "There's Nothing Sweet About Me"”

@OspreyQueen (8) “Dumb fun but sounds like a half-hearted attempt at emulating Xenomania, which is odd given that Xenomania themselves produced another song on this album along with the entirety of her debut.”

@DJHazey (8.5) “Still good, but possibly an unpopular opinion here: I think “Hearts Don’t Lie” has aged a little better as far as this retro-disco sound she went for. She’ll never touch “Sweet About Me” though.”

@Phonetics Girl (9) “pretty indifferent towards it but it is a bop”

@Untouchable Ace (9.3) “It's a great song except for the middle-8. It didn't suit Gabriella as a comeback. This song should have gone to Ricki-Lee.”

@berserkboi (9.5) "The first time I thought Gabrielle could offer me something I’d stan. Was never truly into the fake swagger of Sweet About Me!”

@ohnostalgia (9.5) “@Island”

@livefrommelbs (10) "I still listen to this weekly on my running playlist and it still pops all the way off. An incredible, sugar-rush of synth-soaked superwoman realness."

@Sprockrooster (10) "This is an absolute knock-out. Lessons to be learned was a very solid album and the next single was going to be essential to create a standom. Imagine releasing something like this then. She delivered like a true queen. Wish she would release more music nowadays cause despite getting fed by Ten and the debut I need more. In this rate my runner-up for the 11."

@Ana Raquel (10) "The only other contender for my 11. It would have got my 11 in the main rate. Sadly, one of my favorite songs is here as well, so not this time.”

@Pineapple (10) “Oh we’re really bringing out the old bops with this one. Love.”

@BubblegumBoy (11) “Makes me feel so nostalgic listening to this, I remember the video coming out and being obsessed with it. A timeless bop.”

@londonrain (11) “Easily the best song in the whole of Side B. The absolutely ENORMOUS bop we never knew Gabriella had in her. The way she indicates her chest in the video when singing ‘I am a woman’ will never not be a kii, though.”

+ Gabriella Cilmi

Her second single and most well-know song, released in 2008:

The third single from her debut album Lessons To Be Learned:

The second single from Ten:

The lead single from her third and latest album, also named The Sting, released in 2013:

2. I thought me losing my two 11s with just one song in between was bad, but @BubblegumBoy just lost both of his back to back. Sorry about that nn

3. REAL WINNER

go christine i guess

4. I'm prepared to be dragged to hell for my score. But I absolutely stick by it.

I just tried to give it another listen to see if I'd missed the point, but no.
    Still shouty and irritating. She just doesn't sound good.

soratami likes this.
  5. I second this opinion. I don't understand how it underperformed as badly as it did after the moderate success of "On A Mission."

soratami and Untouchable Ace like this.
  6. NUMBER ONE FAN HAS TO WIN THIS NOW.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Raise your hand if @Island made you listen to On A Mission in a plug.dj session.

Music Is Death, Maki, Verandi and 4 others like this.
  8. I see @londonrain got the Gabrielle subliminals like I did, but went full stan mode and 11ed!

ThatsMyBabyAndIAmProud.gif

9. A bit of Side B tea:

Although the song at #3 changed (it was '71 Charger at first, then This Kiss for a long time, only for On A Mission to take it at the end), Girlfriend and Number One Fan were the top 2 songs through the whole voting period, and they were always quite a bit ahead of the rest too. Both took the #1 spot at different times, and in the end the average difference between the two was really small. I had no idea which would take the crown until the very last ballot, as they just kept swapping places.

You're going to have to wait a bit until the Side B winner is revealed though, because there are quite a few main rate songs being eliminated first.

10. Christina Andthequeensa for the win s'il te plaît.

11. ATTN: I'm still missing a Little Red write-up, and as it turns out the person who was originally going to do it won't able to after all, I'd really appreciate if it someone else could do it. It's a bit on short notice as the rate should be done in less than three weeks, but it doesn't have to be anything very long, just a couple of paragraphs would do. If anyone's up for it, please let me know!

12. Christine needs to pull through!

13. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I can do it.

14. Waking up to this was just painful! I mean, I am actually quite proud Saturday Night made it this far. @DJHazey your write up brought a tear to my eye. I know that song means a lot to many people. Natalia really bared it all on that song.
    On A Mission going out is a bit of a shock. I thought it was a guaranteed winner for Side B truth be told. The video really is iconic.

15. On A Mission was not what I wanted from Gabriella at that point but with the passage of time I came to recognise it as A Very Good Song.

It's so cool how the Side B top 2 turned out to be a face-off between artists from 20Gay/BiTeen rates!

16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Christine and Muna is a perfect top2!!

And yas at the evil is defeated 2.0 with Natalia’s exit!!

17. Oh yes, one of many songs. 'Have a song played by @Island multiple times in plug.dj' is a Popjustice Bingo space for sure.

18. Oh and the 'the evil is defeated' being attached to Saturday Night...

D:

R27 and soratami like this.
  19. "On a Mission" is a great bop and my favourite out of the songs in the top 5.

Well, I guess between the final two sub-7 scores I'm left with for side B rate finalists, my preference would be "Number One Fan". At least this will be my record for the lowest score that I've given out to a rate winner, whichever song wins.

20. An actual masterpiece that made way for Natalia Kills to give Lorde one of her first accolades in New Zealand dddd. One of the more random artist crossovers of the roster.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Crisp X, R27 and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.