♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 166 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Perfect, thank you so much!

2. Today:

An artist will be losing their last song. Will it be Diana, Foxes, Jessie or Santigold, or Janelle, Katy or Marina losing both their remaining songs back to back?

3. Diana is out of her depth at this point. I can't believe she made it into the Top 20 at all, tbh.

4. I sense it is Diana or Santigold, but surprise me not with Foxes.

5. She was the second artist to lose all her songs in the debuts rate after Nicola Roberts, with Once leaving at #36, so making the top 20 this time around is pretty iconic if you ask me.

6. Something cool I meant to mention in the Saturday Night elimination but totally forgot about - Danielle Haim plays the guitar in that song!

[​IMG]

Champagne Kisses
    Tough Love 1/6
    10 (23) @Cotton Park @An Insider @j267 @2014 @boombazookajoe @klow @Pinky25 @Sail On @Untouchable Ace @Trinu 3.0 @Robsolete @Conan @Trouble in Paradise @slaybellz @elektroxx @Alphableat @Blond @R27 @vague @Runawaywithme @ohnostalgia @Oleander | 9.5 (8) @Kyle. @livefrommelbs @swim @ufint @berserkboi @Music Is Death @Cutlery @sapnu puas
    4 @londonrain | 5 @dontkillmyvibe | 5.75 @junkos

#25 - #28 - #29 - #20 - #22 - #16 - #19

Jessie Ware becomes the ninth artist to be eliminated from the rate, meaning we're now down to half the roster: Diana, Florence, Foxes, Janelle, Katy, Lorde, Marina and Santigold. Katy ended up being the most successful of the three newcomers in the rate, as while Halsey and Jessie are now out of the rate, she still has two songs left. Speaking of Halsey, Champagne Kisses is tied with Strangers for the most 10s so far.

Champagne Kisses was written by Jessie and BenZel (Benny Blanco and Ben Ash), and produced by the latter. It was released in April 2015 as the fourth and final single from Tough Love. Jessie described the song as "unashamedly romantic, verging on fist-pumping Bee Gees vocals. I'm like the Bee Gees' sad sister on that one. I let rip a bit more." Somewhat surprisingly for a song so smooth and elegant, Champagne Kisses is accompanied by one of the quirkiest and most out there videos in the rate, a video which seems like somewhat of an evolution of Marina's Mowgli's Road video to me, which makes sense as both share the same director - Chris Sweeney. Similar to the last elimination (Saturday Night), Champagne Kisses is great, but I not a song I consider one of my favourites from its parent album, and one I certainly didn't expect it to do as well as it did, but good for her!

@DJHazey (6) “Not a fan of the style nor am I loving her tone on the chorus. Pas pour moi.”

@Phonetics Girl (6) “would appreciate had she decided against singing in dolphin register” Do you have something against dolphins?

@OspreyQueen (8) “This production DESERVES a more developed chorus.”

@pop3blow2 (9) “Just an exquisitely produced track. I wish the actual song was a bit stronger, but still very nice to listen to.”

@livefrommelbs (9.5) "The highpoint of the Jessie songs here. Lush, emotive, beautifully-sung. A strong finish"

@berserkboi (9.5) “This was the one that sounded familiar in her section, wonder why? Hit in AUS?” No, it wasn't a hit anywhere actually. I can't find any information about it being used in any soundtracks either, so not sure where you know it from.

@Pinky25 (10) “Very romantic. It’s grown up without being boring.”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “Sublime. As sweet as a strawberry sitting in rosé.”

@Runawaywithme (10) “This is a monster of a song. That chorus is still an incredible lightning-in-a-bottle moment that is as great as it was on the day I first heard it. That middle eight is amazing and when it mixes in with the build-up to that epic high note and the last chorus, it’s just heaven.”

@ohnostalgia (10) “*swoon*”

8. Champagne Kisses. Champagne Kisses for me. Champagne Kisses. Champagne Kisses for me.

9. Absolutely homophobic and misogynist to do this to a pregnant woman the day after she didn’t win any awards at the Brits. Shame on you all.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I see you haven’t reached the point when we cancelled dolphins in the KSOTY rate.

11. R27

R27

Not two tens back to back. I’m feeling drained right now and I’m too lazy to go into depth about why I love both songs so much, but I’ll try to keep it classy and not drag the disappointing misjudgment some people have decided to display in their scoring. Both deserved top 10.

12. No, not "Champagne Kisses." This is Top 10 material, tbh.
    There is something really familiar about "Champagne Kisses."
    Perhaps it's because she is the only artist in both rates that I'd never listened to until I participated in either of these rates, thus I have no emotional connection with her as an artist, but I'm going to need her to vacate soon, tbh.

13. The production on Champagne Kisses is phenomenal.

14. Champagne Kisses is phenomenal.

15. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE FAULT is this...

[​IMG]

that I'm crazy about you

(Can't fathom a reality where I don't hear that and immediately liquidate into a puddle from swooning)

16. Getting to the next page would be phenomenal.

17. Here's a local hit titled "Phenomenal", played exclusively on occasions when there's a lot of drunken people:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.