♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 167 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. That note deserves Top 10 alone!

Cotton Park, MilesAngel and soratami like this.

[​IMG]

Spectrum
    Ceremonials 4/6
    11 (2) @Pinky25 @slaybellz | 10 (19) @Reboot @DJHazey @MilesAngel @Sleet @dontkillmyvibe @No hay banda @Untouchable Ace @aux @Trouble in Paradise @eatyourself @elektroxx @Lapras @vague @berserkboi @Runawaywithme @Remorque @Cutlery @LTG @sapnu puas | 9.8 @saviodxl
    5 (3) @fatyoshi @Aester @unnameable | 5.5 @klow

#43 - #43 - #38 - #34 - #21 - #22 - #18

Despite not losing a single song before the top 30, Florence's lead over the other non-Lorde artists in the rate is much smaller now, as she is down to half her selection. As you can see above, Spectrum wasn't in the top 20 for nearly the whole voting period, and in fact if it weren't for some of the last handful of voters giving low/mediocre scores to Champagne Kisses, Saturday Night and Never Let Me Go, it wouldn't have made it at all.

Spectrum was written by Florence and Paul Epworth, who also produced it. Originally released in October 2011 as the tenth track on Ceremonials, Spectrum received a music video in May 2012, and in July 2012 a Calvin Harris remix of the song, dubbed Spectrum (Say My Name), was released as the album's fourth single to huge success, becoming Florence's first #1 hit in the UK and in a few other countries, and in the top 10 in a bunch more. As a sort of thank you for the remix, Florence collaborated again with Calvin on his song Sweet Nothing, which would become Florence's second UK #1 later that year. I actually thought the regular version of Spectrum had been the single, not the remix, since that's what got the video, but guess I got that wrong. Maybe the remix should have been included in the rate instead, it might've done better, given the amount of praise it received in the commentary. Spectrum is one of the most positive songs on Ceremonials and it's one of the songs that marks the transition from Lungs's “gothic horror toward something that’s slightly more chemical” in the sophomore album - "There’s a song called Spectrum which has a lot to do with rainbows and prisms – so it has taken on a lot more of a crystal theme". The song basically uses a spectrum of colours as a metaphor for the various feelings and emotions associated with a relationship. Speaking about the remix, Florence said "It's nice, you get to listen to a song and actually appreciate it, instead of analyzing it. You end up liking it so much more, because it's out of your hands a bit, you can appreciate it, instead of being like, "Aw, I should have done this or that."" Much like the last two eliminations, Spectrum is also an 8 for me, so also not an album favourite (it was nice to take a break from losing fave after fave for a change), but this time I'm definitely not surprised by it doing it this well. Still, the three remaining Florence are all superior (and so was Never Let Me Go, which really should have made the top 20 instead, but anyway) so this seems like a good time for it to be eliminated.

@Sprockrooster (6) "The way I know I am disgusting filth to somehow feel like this original version to be lifeless compared to the Calvin Harris remix aside from the middle-8. And now I am even going further to prove me being trash as I have been craving for that middle-8 to make its way to the Calvin Harris remix so I do not have to listen to this version anymore. The Calvin Harris remix in my world is such a 11/10."

@Phonetics Girl (6) "even when I played the album daily that was the song i felt the need to skip. well, that and Remain Nameless. just too fucking much"

@Ana Raquel (6.5) “What do you mean this song isn't called Say My Name my life is a lie”

@Alphableat (8) “A brilliant point of continuity and evolution from the first album, and still stands up against the Calvin Harris remix.”

@Maki (8) “It's good that I listened to the snippets of her songs, since I was sure there was one I already knew. And this is kind of a revelation - I've known this song for quite some time, but never knew the artist. What a great chorus, though the verses will have to grow on me.”

@R27 (8.5) “The bridge, particularly the way she sings “and when we come back we’ll be dressed in black” always gives me a thrill in a song full of excitement. Also, probably an unpopular opinion around these parts, but the Calvin Harris remix is just as good and an utter tune.”

@livefrommelbs (9) "I'm a basic bitch who prefers the Calvin Harris remix, but this is still lush AF".

@godspeed (9) “Witnessing this song live at Hyde Park a few weeks after the Pulse shooting with my friends from Orlando was a powerful moment and one I still get kind of emotional about. Florence turned this upbeat track into a haunting and poignant song of strength and resilience. I’m very rarely moved whenever artists hold a rainbow flag and make big speeches about the LGBTQIA+ community, but this time, without Florence having to say a word actually, it deeply touched me.”

@OspreyQueen (9.5) “I don’t wanna see ANYONE dragging the Calvin Harris version. The original is a flavourful, nuanced main course, and the remix is a slightly simpler but still delicious dessert.”

@ohnostalgia (9.5) “Spectrum features some of my favourite Florence vocals. The way her voice becomes one with the orchestra gives me shivers.”

@saviodxl (9.8) “A brilliant track and explosive chorus. It would've been a 10 if it was the Calvin Harris remix…”

@DJHazey (10) “SAY MY FUCKING NAME. Like the demands of a queen while her subjects bow.”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “I really was yearning for a Florence x Calvin part 3 at the time. Their creations were what i think future Nicola songs could have been like.” If only.

@berserkboi (10) “I cannot tell you how often this has gotten stuck in my head in the past! Ddd EDIT - Realising it’s a Remix version I know, keep the 10 anyway!”

@Runawaywithme (10) “I like how this song is a little bit more hopeful than a lot of Florence’s other works. It makes me want to start a riot when I listen to it, but in a good way.”

@Cutlery (10) "When she shouted at you to say her name she meant it! Somehow amidst the beauty of the whole project, the harp sounds especially divine here."

@Pinky25 (11) “It was hard to pick an 11. Most of these songs have special memories for me but honestly spectrum didn’t really. It’s a song I enjoyed the first time but I remember not listening to this second CD as much as the first. Replaying it now as an older adult I can’t believe this song escaped me. It’s a real experience! It’s beautiful. I instantly feel swept up every time I listen to it.”

3. Losing a potential 11 and my 11 in the same day... And all before the Top 15...

[​IMG]

4. Cancel the Rate!

Spectrum is one of the best songs of the last ten years (with two or three other Florence tracks).

EDIT - I've just listened to it 20 times in a row, and almost elevated to the Heavens

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  5. Speaking of 11s, I was just checking and the only three people who still have both their 11s in the rate are @Hurricane Drunk, @Sail On and @ohnostalgia. The only two others who still have their Side B 11 are @Cotton Park and @2014, but they already lost their main rate ones.

6. And them both will be included in my UK Ladies #1s of the 2010s Rate, starting June 7th! #Promo

7. I gave this version of Spectrum a 10. The Calvin Harris version will probably get a 9.

berserkboi, saviodxl and soratami like this.
  8. Nice! I'm curious what other songs by artists featured in this rate will be included. Off the top of my head I know Once, Burn and River were all #1s

9. Well, if you search for the list of #1s in the UK you can easily find out, but since you asked
    Once
    Spectrum (Say My Name)
    Sweet Nothing
    I Love It (feat. Charli XCX)
    Burn
    Changing (feat. Paloma Faith)
    Love Me Like You Do
    Turn The Music Louder (Rumble) (feat. Katy B)

10. R27

R27

I remember being at my first musical festival the summer of 2012 basically just to see Florence perform. It was a sweltering day and they were spraying the audience with a hose which kept narrowly missing my friends and I. Then, finally, as Florence belted out "Spectrum," we were sprayed by the hose and given some temporary relief from the heat. What a moment.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  11. I miss being sprayed by the hose

12. I actually don't want to listen to this remix because the original is glorious enough of a discovery for me.

13. Today...

I will be losing two 10s

14. Primadonna could probs piss off now.

BubblegumBoy, Verandi and soratami like this.
  15. I'd like to bid "Music To Make Boys Cry" and "Primadonna" au revoir.

Trouble in Paradise and soratami like this.
  16. Ive come to accept that 'Primadonna' is one of the most immaculate pop songs in existence.

17. Me after hearing Primadonna once. The hate for it is homophobic.

18. Objectively, "Primadonna" is one of the most well crafted pop songs to ever exist, so everyone who disagrees is wrong.

19. "It's too basic for this rate, it's not quirky enough, blah blah blah!" *ducks from the snapbacks*

londonrain, soratami and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.