♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 169 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Is Music To Make Boys Cry this rate's Maybe?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2021

[​IMG]

Disparate Youth
    Master Of My Make-Believe 1/6
    11 @elektroxx | 10 (26) @DJHazey soratami @An Insider @sfmartin @Phonetics Girl @Crisp X @fatyoshi @Sleet @Dijah. @Ana Raquel @klow @No hay banda @pop3blow2 @Pinky25 @Pineapple @aux @Trouble in Paradise @Stradiwhovius @KingBruno @Alphableat @vague @berserkboi @Music Is Death @Remorque @Cutlery @LTG | 9.5 (3) @Lost In Japan. @Aester @eatyourself
    5 (2) @saviodxl @Ugly Beauty | 5.5 @londonrain

#40 - #27 - #13 - #9 - #11 - #12 - #16

Here's another disgraceful elimination of another song that should have made the top 10. I blame the Lorde stans. Santigold becomes the ninth artist to be eliminated from the rate, and so we're down to seven. A slightly worse result than in the debuts rate, where L.E.S. Artistes made it to #9. Disparate Youth has the most 10s so far (and so did Only If For A Night in the previous elimination, I forgot to mention that), and is one of the only nine songs in the rate to have received more than twenty-five 10s, and we'll have to wait until #11 to see what the next one is.

Disparate Youth was written by Santigold, Ricardo Johnson and Nick Zinner of Yeah Yeah Yeahs fame, who also plays the guitar in the song, and it was produced by Ricky Blaze. It was released in February 2012 as the lead single from Master Of Make-Believe, charting at #96 in the UK and at Bubbling Under #9 in the US, but doing better in other territories, namely going top 40 in a bunch of European countries. Despite not being a huge smash, Disparate Youth went on to be used on a lot of different ads, tv shows, videogames, etc, and is Santigold's most streamed song by a pretty big margin (something which I found pretty surprising, I'd always assumed L.E.S. Artistes was her biggest song). Speaking about the event that served as inspiration for the song, Santigold reminisced: "We were going really fast on this speedboat, and I was just holding on, sitting cross-legged on the very front of the boat, and my body was just, like, flying, like I could have been thrown off at any minute. And this guy was playing this old reggae through these little speakers, and it was blown out and distorted, and it was such a visual memory that stayed with me, and this song kind of felt like that." And as for lyrics, which apparantely quite a long as three months to get just right - "Lyrically, I was trying to talk about what I want for the world and what I want people to be. The youth are the hope of the future, and I want people to have the courage to trust their own vision and instincts and make up the truth for themselves and question what's told to them." Disparate Youth is an absolute anthem and a perfect sequel to the iconic L.E.S. Artistes, and it was a really, really strong 11 contender for me. As mentioned above, it missing the top 10 is a disgrace and the people who rated it below 8 should be ashamed of themselves.

@OspreyQueen (7) “Apparently this was on the soundtracks for both Forza Horizon and NBA 2K16 which…yeah of course it would be” I don't really play those kinds of games but they occasionally have some great songs in their soundtracks, so this really isn't that big of a drag.

@godspeed (8) “I was really happy when I first heard this song because it felt to me like a continuation of “L.E.S. Artistes”, which is probably my favorite Santigold song. I actually don’t have much to say about “Disparate Youth”, it’s just a very good and beautifully produced and performed pop song and that’s why I love it.”

@Runawaywithme (8) “I feel like I’ve definitely heard this before despite not recognising it initially. I really like it, I love the guitar riffs in the song and the synths that build in the background. This is the sort of song I’d strut down the street to when I need to feel like a supermodel. It has a certain swagger to it that's hard to explain. I really like this, glad I have discovered it properly.”

@livefrommelbs (8.5) "This alt-rock sensibility Santigold really doubled-down on for album #2 really works for me."

@BubblegumBoy (8.5) “A song by Santigold I actually really like, the power of this rate!”

@ohnostalgia (9) “It’s amazing what a simple guitar riff can add to a track.”

@Untouchable Ace (9.4) “I get what she's about now. This is her legacy.”

@DJHazey (10) “Reminds me of Fletcher’s “Wasted Youth” because of its brand of beautiful melancholy. It presents a somber world but with a nod towards the possible triumph that awaits, against all odds.”

@Phonetics Girl (10) "the very definition of cool"

@Dijah. (10) “Wait a fucking minute, this is incredible! I can’t believe this is my first time hearing this song but it WILL be playing every day for the rest of my life to make up for it.”

@Ana Raquel (10) “A contender for my 11. No wonder it's her most scrobbled song. It's ART. I hope that it does better than her first album at least (which was ROBBED).”

@Pinky25 (10) “This sounds like the soundtrack to a million early 10’s teen dramas.”

@Pineapple (10) “A very special song that has timeless classic written all over it.”

@Alphableat (10) “Layered, beautiful melancholia. Santi’s moment.”

@berserkboi (10) “Another one I knew - just how much Santigold have I known my whole life without knowing it was her??” Her songs did tend to pop up in a bunch of ads, soundtracks, etc.

@Cutlery (10) "She spoke her generational truth and created somewhat of a template with it that still resonates today. Unforgettable production."

3. Santigold's first album isn't available on Spotify for me; not sure if that's the case in other territories, but it may be part of the reason for those numbers being the way they are. I wonder if it's anything to do with the Santigold/Santogold saga.

4. Wow! I can’t believe something else I wrote is the thread header again! As for the song it does really sound like a montage on a teen drama. It’s the kind of melancholy alternative sound that was very popular on tumbler when I was in my late teens.

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  5. Leaving before the top 15 while my Lorde 6 is still in.........

Aester, MilesAngel and soratami like this.
  6. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Music to Make Boys Cry obviously isn't the one I'd have chosen for Diana's final song, but I'm living for it still hanging on. Cry harder babies.

7. I regret not writing any commentary for "Disparate Youth," but surely given my write-up for Master Of My Make-Believe, it was obvious that "Disparate Youth" would be my eleven. It genuinely is one of my favorite (and most played) songs of all time. I should've seen this coming after y'all did Santi dirty throughout this rate, but given how well "L.E.S. Artistes" performed in the Debut rate, I was hopeful that "Disparate Youth" had a chance at Top 10 as well. Oh, how naive I was. This deserved better. Santi deserved better.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
  8. Yeah double check the scores were entered right for Music to Make Boys Cry or something because this is utter nonsense at this point.

9. Some of the girls thought you had to give at least one ten to every album and it is showing.

And I knew y'all would do Santi dirty again but not this dirty.

soratami, Sprockrooster and elektroxx like this.
  10. PJ being so bothered by Music to Make Boys Cry is a kii because if it was a Carly song you'd make it win Song of the Decade and put it in your Tinder bio but maybe that's a conversation y'all never be able to have x

Out of the 15 songs left, the ones in red are definitely weaker than the rest for me.

Shake It Out
    What The Water Gave Me
    Primadonna
    Radioactive

Q.U.E.E.N. (feat. Erykah Badu)
    Electric Lady (feat. Solange)
    Music to Make Boys Cry
    5 AM
    Crying for No Reason
    Body Talk
    Green Light
    Sober
    The Louvre
    Supercut
    Perfect Places

11. Music To Make Boys Cry desvere's the top ten. It really desveres to be number one since it's the best song in the rate but some of you aren't ready for that conversation.

12. @Verandi's consistent drive-by draggings of Carly...is there some history of this hatred toward her music or is it just in the context of this rate and her B-Sides placement within it? Otherwise the hate is confusing.

Untouchable Ace, soratami and Verandi like this.
  13. I listen to the lil Canadian pixie quite often but the Ultimate Albums and Songs' rates' results still haunt me. I guess it's an involuntary reaction x

14. He just has questionable taste, as a lot of us have witnessed across several rates nn

15. Today:

No-one will be eliminated from the rate for a change. Two different artists with multiple songs left will lose one each.

16. Will the Lorde cull begin?

17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hopefully Primadonna and Sober, though I'm concerned for Janelle. I've been re-enjoying The Electric Lady the past few days, she just never misses.

soratami likes this.
  18. Music To Make Boys Cry haters staying pressed for another day

20. I don't remember anyone mentioning anything about that in the first rate, so I assume it's either something recent or not happening in a lot of countries? It's an odd situation given both her debut and sophomore were released through the same labels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.