♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 171 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. If Florence gets annihilated before the top ten, I’ll console myself that it at least the rate has shined a light on her consistency.

2. I... thought What The Water Gave Me was one of the few songs having a chance of winning? Shocked.

Also the fact y'all booted it before fucking Primadonna omg gays were a mistake.

3. Florence was the first concert I ever attended and she opened with this song. That moment and that song sound to this day like a revelation, like something changed in me.

[​IMG]

And I stan Radioactive, but it being better than anything on Ceremonials? It's just not realistic.

4. Omg twinsies! The How Big Tour was my first ever concert and she opened with it.

soratami and eatyourself like this.
  5. Florence going untouched for 68 eliminations only for her to lose practically all her songs before the Top 10 is a travesty! Shake It Out better be fucking Top 5 then! Top 10 at the very least or I swear to god!

6. If Shake It Out misses the top 10 someone's getting shanked.

7. Since Eurovision is happening this week and I'll be busy watching the semi-finals and final on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evening, exactly at the time I usually prepare/post eliminations, I won't be doing eliminations on those three days (or I might do just one instead of the usual two if I have the chance, but no promises). To make up for it, I'll post a couple of eliminations today even if it's Sunday, which is the usual rate break day.

Today's eliminations...

aren't Lorde songs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q.U.E.E.N. (feat. Erykah Badu)
    The Electric Lady 2/6
    11 (2) @Sprockrooster @ohnostalgia | 10 (20) @Reboot soratami @Kyle. @An Insider @Phonetics Girl @fatyoshi @boombazookajoe @Dijah. @Ana Raquel @klow @Pinky25 @Remyky22 @Sail On @Trouble in Paradise @godspeed @elektroxx @OspreyQueen @Music Is Death @Cutlery @sapnu puas | 9.75 @aux
    6 (3) @dontkillmyvibe @swim @Alphableat | 6.7 @Untouchable Ace

#5 - #10 - #5 - #10 - #13 - #15 - #13

The assault on my 11 contenders continues, and this time it's Q.U.E.E.N.'s turn to fall before its time. Looking at the leaderboard trajectory, maybe I should have closed voting after the first 30 people voted, because it was all downhill from there. At least, aside from the four tasteless individuals listed above, everyone gave it a 7+ score, which isn't bad at all. In fact, Q.U.E.E.N. is one of the three songs in the rate with the highest lowest average, 6. This elimination means Lorde and Marina are now the only two artists with multiple songs left.

Q.U.E.E.N. was written by Janelle, Kellis Parker Jr., Roman GianArthur and Deep Cotton and produced by Janelle, Roman GianArthur and Deep Cotton, and it was released in April 2013 as the lead single from Janelle's sophomore album The Electric Lady. It was the first song Janelle released after a certain profile-boosting collaboration we don't acknowledge, but it didn't do a whole lot commercially, though then again it's a pretty clear case of "for the art, not the charts". Not only a female empowerment song, according to Janelle, Q.U.E.E.N. is also a song "for those who are marginalized. The "Q" represents the queer community, the "U" for the untouchables, the "E" for emigrants, the second "E" for the excommunicated and the "N" for those labeled as negroid. It's for everyone who's felt ostracized. I wanted to create something for people who feel like they want to give up because they're not accepted by society." The song was inspired by "private conversations Erykah Badu and I have had and continue to have. She's a great friend to me; she's like a big sister and it's a song about private dialogue that she and I have had." (it's a real shame they haven't worked together again, here's hoping for a collab in Janelle's fourth album) and "is meant to make you jam, dance, funk out and dialogue later." As with most of the music in Janelle first two albums, Q.U.E.E.N. works both in the context of the Metropolis saga and in talking about real issues - "I feel like there are constant parallels with me as a woman, being an African-American woman, to what it means for the community that people consider to be queer, the community of immigrants and the Negroid-the combination between the 'N' and the android. All of us have very similar fights with society and oppressors, with those who are not about love, who are more about judging. There are two different types of people: Some people come into this world to judge, some people come into this world to jam. Which one are you? It's a question we should all ask ourselves. My job is to create art that starts a dialogue, to create songs and lyrics that ask society these questions, by using myself as a sacrificial lamb."

@Alphableat (6) “Slinky, sexy, a bit too long. But the rap at the end is worth the wait so what do I know.”

@DJHazey (8) “I’m not really sure I know how to access my enjoyment of this yet, teebs, but I also feel like it should stay in my life. This is probably a prime example of a song that needs more time than I can give it before are ballots due, before I can truly appreciate every nook and cranny.”

@londonrain (8.5) “Issa vibe. What a great song for this pairing.”

@BubblegumBoy (9) “Janelle’s rap at the end of this song is everything”

@berserkboi (9) “A little of a softer tempo than I’d go for but very polished!”

@Runawaywithme (9) “This is the definition of a bop. I love the soul/funky vibes here. I love how powerful and empowering a lot of Janelle’s music is. The rap at the end with those strings feels like the victorious battle cry from the underdogs in a film just at the moment fate changes”

@pop3blow2 (9.2) “Feels as vital & relevant as ever.”

@Kyle. (10) “Absolute perfection from start to finish. The rapping is just glorious and the way it slides so effortlessly into Electric Lady? OUTSTANDING. Janelle's musical range is just *chefs kisses*”

@Phonetics Girl (10) “I’m hearing this for the first time for this rate and oh my… it almost dwarves Dirty Computer” It absolutely is better than anything on Dirty Computer, though some people might not be ready for that conversation.

@Pinky25 (10) “This was another favorite of the retail place I worked at all those years ago. I loved the video!” That retail place had a pretty iconic soundtrack it would seem.

@godspeed (10) “The proof that Janelle Monáe has mastered the art of the anthem.”

@OspreyQueen (10) “It happily cruises along at like an 8 or 9 and then that goddamned rap hits and BAM, instant 10.”

@Cutlery (10) "Pure classic and perfect song-video combo that needs to keep on being celebrated! The contrast from the first part leading into Erykah Badu's part and then right into Janelle's rap also enhances its impact and reach. Janelle invites us to take look on a different world right here."

@Sprockrooster (11) "Erykah Badu is a legend. Janelle is a modern day hero. So this divine unison of Q.U.E.E.N.S. has me served from the day of the release and almost 10 years later I am still fed. The absolute mellow and late night feel of this track makes this for me contemporary."

@ohnostalgia (11) “With its celebration of joyous sexuality, Q.U.E.E.N. was a major step forward in my bisexual journey. I mean, that video. If you didn’t watch it, pause this elimination and head to YouTube. “Straight” @ohnostalgia wasn’t prepared, no ma’am.

Q.U.E.E.N. also features one my favourite Janelle verses: “You can take my wings but I'm still gonna fly, and even when you edit me the booty don't lie. Yeah, I'ma keep sangin', I'mma keep writin' songs I'm tired of Marvin asking me "What's Going On?" March through the streets 'cuz I'm willing and I'm able. Categorize me, I defy every label. And while you're selling dope, we're gonna keep selling hope. We rising up now, you gotta deal you gotta cope. Will you be electric sheep? Electric ladies, will you sleep? Or will you preach?"”

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Luck, pop3blow2, OspreyQueen and 27 others like this.
  9. I never knew this exactly though I always felt like it meant something like this. Knowing it now makes me love the song even more and I already gave it my 11.

Also, why I am screaming that after that has happened in this rate in vote difference between me and @ohnostalgia it turns out we are 11-sisters. We love a twist.

10. "The Electric Lady" being the last remaining track from its eponymous album was not a result that I saw coming.

11. These last couple of eliminations have been a mess. Diana Vickers is going to somehow make the Top 10, isn't she? I am so confused, tbh.

Phonetics Girl and soratami like this.
  12. I didn't know myself before this rate, it's pretty cool. I read that the song was originally going to be named Q.U.E.E.R. too, but I can't find confirmation about whether that's actually true or not, so I didn't include it in the elimination.

13. Then WHY did you only give it a 6? @Alphableat

14. "The Electric Lady" being the last one standing from the album is wrong!

15. One of the best things about my retail job was the fact that so much great music got played constantly. I would find so many great songs from that job.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Even though I know it’s probably going top three, y’all really think Radioactive is better than Q.U.E.E.N. Or any of the last twenty songs we dropped? Tragique.

17. Turns out we ARE a lost generation of our people.

18. Radioactive is Marina's most overrated song.

19. Because in all honesty I didn’t like it that much. I’m sorry.

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  20. Sorry.

elektroxx and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.