♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 172 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I’m no Marina fan, but this might be the meanest thing someone’s said about her.

2. Remember what happened when people were surprised Figure 8 was Ellie's #1 song?

[​IMG]

Electric Lady (feat. Solange)
    The Electric Lady 1/6
    10 (24) @Reboot @Sprockrooster soratami @Kyle. @An Insider @j267 @Phonetics Girl @fatyoshi @Dijah. @Pinky25 @Trinu 3.0 @aux @Trouble in Paradise @Stradiwhovius @ufint @OspreyQueen @vague @Music Is Death @Remorque @ohnostalgia @Cutlery @Oleander @junkos @Butterfly | 9.5 (3) @BubblegumBoy @Sail On @LTG
    5.5 @Hurricane Drunk | 6 (3) @saviodxl @swim @Verandi

#11 - #19 - #12 - #15 - #16 - #17 - #12

If you thought Electric Lady being the #1 Janelle song in the rate was surprising (I know I did), well, there you go. Q.U.E.E.N. was actually ahead through nearly the whole voting period, only being surpassed at the very end, and even then Electric Lady only beat it by 0.8 points, so it was very close. Electric Lady is the top song with a featured artist in the rate, which is funny given you can barely hear Solange on it, and with this elimination, there are now only six artists left: Diana, Florence, Foxes, Katy, Lorde and Marina.

Electric Lady was written and produced by Janelle, Roman GianArthur and Deep Cotton and was released in July 2014 as the fourth and final single from the album. The concept of "the electric lady" came from a painting of an imaginary woman Janelle would work on daily while touring The ArchAndroid, and it stands for "Someone who cares for the community, who has her own perspective on making love and what love is." Like Q.U.E.E.N., which precedes it in the album's tracklist, Electric lady is also a female empowerment song, and it's also the second song in the top 15 to reference Joan of Arc, after What The Water Gave Me. The song's sorority house party-themed video features cameos by T.I., T-Boz, Monica, Esperanza Spalding, Estelle, Joi (an R&B/Soul singer), and potential Side B artist Kimbra and even Janelle's mother, but funnily enough, not Solange.

@DJHazey (7) “Yes, the transition is definitely seamless between these two, for damn sure, but I’m also finding this to be considerably less interesting beyond a mildly catchy hook.” Funny they'd end up getting eliminated one after the other too, just like in the album's tracklist.

@livefrommelbs (8) "Great chorus on this one."

@Alphableat (8) “A gentle breeze that rips your wig off. This is what Beyonce would have sounded like if she’d gone solo in the 90s, and I’m here for it.”

@godspeed (8.5) “Each time I’m listening to this song, I am bopping while wondering where the hell is Solange and why I don’t hear her!” Same nn

@Maki (8.5) “I was familiar with this one since I listened to Solange's full discography and it's a great re-discovery, actually. The retro influences are great, and I adore the verses. The only thing I'm not keen on is the rap middle-8.”

@pop3blow2 (8.6) “I used to like this one a bit more. It’s still solid, though feels a bit less ‘oomphier’ than it used to.”

@berserkboi (9) “Another pretty big bop!”

@Sprockrooster (10) "I wish Solange was a bit more prominent (still a bit of a kii I added it to the Solange rate), but nonetheless a top-tier track that holds up very well."

@Kyle. (10) “I can feel the Serotonin thumping through my body throughout every single second of this track. It's a masterpiece.”

@Phonetics Girl (10) "vivacious and soothing"

@Dijah. (10) “Literally the perfect song.”

@OspreyQueen (10) “Something I really adore about Janelle’s songwriting is that she knows exactly how to pace her songs. If a song seems a bit too long or short, there’ll be some valid reason for that, be it narrative or compositional. And this song’s final minute, despite mostly just being riffs on stuff that appeared earlier in its runtime, turns an already joyous song into something even more fucking ecstatic.”

@ohnostalgia (10) “Royalty.”

@Cutlery (10) "Whew what a single to end the era on. It's complete, unfiltered joy and energy."

4. Y'all calling for "Radioactive" when "Primadonna" is still here?!

5. I would've never expected Janelle to be the next artist out, especially considering there are artists who have had only one track left for like the past twenty eliminations. I genuinely expected at least one Top 10 track from Janelle. Y'all are wilin'.

6. This time around, I'm unfortunately not surprised. The Electric Lady is a stunning body of work but I knew "Q.U.E.E.N." would be Janelle Monáe's only chance to appear in the top 10... so when that song was eliminated I knew it wouldn't be along until she was out of the rate. The Electric Lady actually had a better run than I expected since this album is mainly rooted in traditional R&B, soul and funk. Still, the lack of taste is too obvious but I'd rather look on the bright side.

That being said, Marina & The Diamonds and Diana Vickers are way out of their depth at this point and I'd love to see them vacate as soon as possible.

7. Looks like we all love the Lorde.

londonrain, slaybellz and soratami like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Lorde’s averages must be insane across the board. Sad about Janelle being out but didn’t expect her to last this long so that’s a win at least!!

9. When it comes to Janelle's tracks, I thought Dance Apocalyptic was gonna do well. But what do I know?

I guess it's those kinda tracks that were not 11ed by many people, but got many 9+ scores.

Now watch Green Light getting 4000 11s.

londonrain, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  10. Disparate Youth and Florence and have been done wrong as of late. I'd definitely bump my scores of the two Janelle songs up today, not sure how much as I'd still say neither are 10's to me but they're enjoyable.

11. No hints today, instead I ask:

What will miss the top 10?
    And what should miss the top 10?

12. I fear for Primadonna and Music To Make Boys Cry

A Lorde track to balance it out ffs

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  13. Will - Body Talk or Primadonna

Should - Music to Make Boys Cry or The Louvre

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  14. Lorde have mercy upon us and lose a song at #11

Will - One of my 10's the way the rate's been going.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  15. I think Sober will fall at 11 but it should be The Louvre. It's popularity has always mystified me.

16. Both really should have been eliminated already in my opinion. Maybe I should have just tampered with the spreadsheet so the results were more to my liking.

17. Okay Lorde might have disproportionately dominated the rate, but the holy trinity of Green Light, The Louvre and Supercut legit deserves to be the top 3 of the rate and should not be touched by yalls tasteless hands until then.

18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Hmm I don’t really care now that Janelle is gone. Dominate that Top 10, Lorde!

19. Well, whether she gets 4 or 5 songs there, she already is dd

20. Just trying to reach the

*page

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.