QUIRKY POP RATE: THE DEBUTS | #51: "our girl whose favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla" | Page 99 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: THE DEBUTS | #51: "our girl whose favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Under the Sheets or Starry Eyed would've been much better first eliminations for Ellie. I gave them decent scores but honestly they're so dull in comparison to The Writer. Then again my list of all-time favorite Ellie Goulding songs is the biggest 'random dice roll' you'll ever see since it's immediately Atlantis, Lost & Found, Burn, and Outside. With random collab Wonderman being somewhere in the outer reaches of the Top 10. So what the hell do I know?

Runawaywithme and soratami like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The Writer is so cute - a lot of her ballads end up being covers (Your Song/River) or MOR horrors (How Long Will I Love You) so this is a success!

Phonetics Boy and soratami like this.
  3. Speaking of which, Ellie literally just released a new song

It's cute. And the timing is admirable.

Untouchable Ace and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. Personally, I disagree, but if you were to say it's one of the quirkiest songs in the rate, I'd have to strongly agree with you.

Also, I love quoting that @Maki post.

Maki and soratami like this.
  5. That's true too. On the other hand, The Writer is probably one of the least quirky songs in the rate.

6. I like "The Writer," but it's one of two songs by Ellie that I didn't give a ten, so I'm not too sad to see it go.

7. The Writer is one of my favorites so I'm biased ddd. It was one of my gateways into her music after Lights was smashing in the US. Between its gorgeous intro and the brilliant melody, it's one of my favorites from Ellie. So I would've axed This Love first.

8. Correct first elimination, but incorrect placing.

Way too many duds still in that could have gone before this.

Untouchable Ace, soratami and Crisp X like this.
  9. Ya'll...
    LEAVE. MARINA. ALONE!

That said, bye Ellie.

10. aux

aux

*sigh*

The way I keep losing my 11s today...

The Writer is a song that I really hold dear to my heart. As @godspeed mentioned in their commentary, "I am aware the lyrics don't paint a very optimistic portrait of love and relationships - it's about letting another person define you, trying to change everything about yourself in order to appeal to that person." To me, I've always read it a song about how two naive people intertwine in their first relationship, as seen through the eyes of a young woman. The production is gorgeous, it's exactly that kind of folktronica I live for.

The reason I hold it dear to my heart is because I sadly related to it when it came to my first experiences with love. It meant a lot to me back in 2010 when I first heard it. Then the song took a whole new meaning later on in my life. On my third date with my boyfriend, we were driving back from a concert and this song came on shuffle. I don't know why, but the song hit me like a truck full of bricks - realising that I wasn't in the position I was back then when I first heard this song. To make matters more emotional, turns out he knew the song by heart too, and we found ourselves singing along to this track. A moment that is most pleasing to me and I get a bit teary eyed thinking about it.

I adore the song and I'm obviously a bit gutted, but unlike some people in this rate, I'm not here to throw a tantrum about the song's placements but rather celebrate its existence.

11. [​IMG]

Fundamentally wrong.

I'm bored of laying into Nicola, so I'll just say that I'm thrown as to how songs as joyless and monotone as Youth and Paris Is Burning can still be in at this point.

The depths of disgust I feel about this elimination are uncharted but I suppose it's a little much over a song I'd rank around #15, so let me save that for later and quietly seethe.

A wonderful 11 choice, though @aux!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

oop [​IMG]

12. [​IMG]

Excuse me, Paris Is Burning is a masterpiece.

13. I'm sorry, but what's GP? ddddd

Thank you @Kyle.

soratami and Kyle. like this.
  14. The #1 enemy of any PJ flop fave - the general public!

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Poor Gail Porter ":("

(a joke for the UK hunties fjsksksl)

soratami likes this.
  16. ah yeah, straight people with terrible or no taste at all

soratami and Untouchable Ace like this.
  17. And bored housewives

Edit: I thought said men, which is why I went the female counterpart, but somehow I added that myself. Hmm

soratami and saviodxl like this.
  18. Not this thread title making me think Pip had lost another song! EVIL!!!!!

19. I'm still mad and sad Mathematics leaving SO early [​IMG]

20. I actually can't believe I've just had to read someone trying to say that Nicola Roberts is better than Janelle MonĂ¡e...

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.