QUIRKY POP RATE: THE DEBUTS | #57: "Oh, this is QUIRKY quirky…" | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: THE DEBUTS | #57: "Oh, this is QUIRKY quirky…"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Apr 3, 2020.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I don't know if this is the right take so sorry in advance but I think as it's their debuts that were released a good 10 or so years ago I'm fine with them being included? Whereas I think it was right to delete Lana's latest from the Alt Girl rate. I don't know but I'd understand if other people had a different opinion on it.

2. Okay, so full disclosure: I haven't slept yet (it's 9:30 A.M.) so Take My Hand's message of "Don't go to sleep" is really hitting me right now.

Rem, Crisp X, Untouchable Ace and 6 others like this.
  3. The run of True Romance - Pure Heroine - Night Time, My Time is pretty wild. The exellence. The nostalgia. The tens.

4. My averages based on the selections of the rate:

#1 - 8,583 - Lana Del Rey - Born to Die ( 10 x 2 , 7 x 1 )
    #1 - 8,583 - Nicola Roberts - Cinderella’s Eyes ( 10 x 2 , 6 x 1 )
    #3 - 8,500 - Natalia Kills - Perfectionist ( 10 x 2 , 4 x 1 )
    #4 - 8,417 - Florence + the Machine - Lungs ( 10 x 2 , 6 x 1 )
    #5 - 8,250 - Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time ( 10 x 2 , 6 x 1 )
    #6 - 8,167 - Marina & the Diamonds - The Family Jewels ( 10 x 2 , 6 x 1 )
    #6 - 8,167 - Foxes - Glorious ( 10 x 2 , 6 x 1 )
    #8 - 8,000 - Diana Vickers - Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree ( 10 x 2 , 5 x 1 )
    #8 - 8,000 - Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid ( 10 x 1 , 5 x 1 )

#10 - 7,833 - Little Boots - Hands ( 10 x 2 , 3 x 1 )
    #10 - 7,833 - Ellie Goulding - Lights ( 10 x 2 , 4 x 1 )
    #12 - 7,417 - Lorde - Pure Heroine ( 9 x 1 , 6 x 1 )
    #13 - 7,333 - Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke ( 8 x 1 , 7 x 3 )

#14 - 6,417 - La Roux - La Roux ( 9,5 x 2 , 4 x 2 )
    #15 - 6,083 - Charli XCX - True Romance ( 8,5 x 1 , 1 x 1 )

#16 - 5,500 - Santigold - Santogold ( 10 x 1 , 2 x 1 )

I didn't use zeroes cause I'm an angel. I'm surprised that out of 16 albums, 10 of them got two 10s each. Consistency!

How I'd actually rank the full albums today, more or less (rate number between brackets):

#1 ( #4 ) - Florence + the Machine - Lungs
    #2 ( #1 ) - Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
    #3 ( #6 ) - Marina & the Diamonds - The Family Jewels
    #4 ( #1 ) - Nicola Roberts - Cinderella’s Eyes
    #5 ( #3 ) - Natalia Kills - Perfectionist
    #6 ( #8 ) - Diana Vickers - Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree
    #7 ( #10 ) - Ellie Goulding - Lights
    #8 ( #8 ) - Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
    #9 ( #5 ) - Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
    #10 ( #10 ) - Little Boots - Hands
    #11 ( #6 ) - Foxes - Glorious
    #12 ( #12 ) - Lorde - Pure Heroine
    #13 ( #14 ) - La Roux - La Roux
    #14 ( #13 ) - Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
    #15 ( #15 ) - Charli XCX - True Romance
    #16 ( #16 ) - Santigold - Santogold

Lights would rank higher if we consider Bright Lights. Same if we add Paradise to Born To Die and the deluxe tracks to Pure Heroine and Hands.

Rem, DJHazey, Sprockrooster and 7 others like this.
  5. Also forgot to reply to this and I really just want to say: we love to see it don't we girls xx?

6. I low-key love that because my averages are so high, it's unlikely that anyone would be able to guess which artist received a much deserved 0.

7. I wish I could say I would never give a 0, but it just isn't true anymore. Oh well. I can't imagine giving any of these songs a 0 though.

8. In regards to the Lana stuff, I think the ultimate decision should come down to how you feel @soratami cause if it gives you a no good feeling in your stomach then running this rate isn’t gonna be as much fun for you. Running rates is hard work so I don’t want to make it harder for you. I know I went back and forth in my Lana scores but ultimately kept what I had given the debut focus here but I’m also a white gay guy.

9. Taking a break from my final rating to go to the grocery store, mostly cause I'm hoping we're going to stop and get some food. It means I'll have to deal with my insufferable grandmother, but hopefully it'll be worth it. I've been really hammering the playlist the past few hours, in a way I haven't before cause I'm very into more alt-leaning stuff lately, so I'll probably be living in this thread today haha.

10. I'm just completing my Foxes commentary, then all I'll have to do is tidy it up a bit then I'll be ready the send them off! This has honestly been a bit of a rollercoaster, but I've really enjoyed looking back at all these albums, and made some nice new and re-discoveries along the way.

11. Aaand in less than 24 hours since she discovered this rate, she's done and submitted her scores.

[​IMG]

constantino, RUNAWAY, Rem and 17 others like this.
  12. This was me but on the first week of the rate dd. I don't even know my scores anymore.

13. Thanks a lot for the input on the Lana thing so far everyone. I'm only making a decision after voting closes, so feel free to continue sharing your thoughts until then.

14. Some leaderboard tea:
    • Things are very close both at the top and at the bottom. Even at this point there's no clear winner (or loser) at all. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
    • Every artist in the rate has received at least one 11, which is fantastic. Those 11s are spread across thirty different songs, so nearly one third of the songs in the rate have received at least one 11.
    • At the moment the first 11 to be eliminated is at #77, which, all things considered, isn't that bad.

15. I know she won't win but I hope my girl Natalia doesn't end up last.
    I really wanted to give her my 11 but I couldn't with that song right there.

16. It was literally just toooooo hard to pick an 11 the whole way through.
    I just went with something obvious.

17. Some people mentioning certain songs being too quirky in their commentary is a bit of a scream. I do get what you mean but this is literally the Quirky Pop Rate ddd

18. Finally submitted! I would post my averages but it's so late in the game now and I quite frankly can't be bothered to work them all out. I'm really looking forward to this commencing!

19. Marina ha impact.

Currently jumbling up my scores/commentary for the songs I'm familiar with (which won't officially count, but still), and therefore decline this offer:

20. Yeah, the idea of singling Lana out while Elly gets let off the hook doesn't sit right with me, and if the same principle is applied to them both then that's...1/8 of the entire song list ringfenced away?

Like...we're all informed and intelligent enough to know that Lana's inclusion is a case of unfortunate timing rather than any deliberate attempt to endorse her as a person, as well as the fact that Elly's inclusion was never an endorsement of her current views (or even apparently her views at the time the album was released). I really think the best thing to do is eliminate them as normal, because the only thing separating Lana from Elly and every other artist here who's done/said questionable thing is that the Lana discourse is still going on now, and I don't think that's a big enough qualifier to justify treating Lana any differently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.