R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | #22: He stalks you while you sleep at night | PART II deadline: 31/01 | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | #22: He stalks you while you sleep at night | PART II deadline: 31/01

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Sep 13, 2019.

1. My commentary says it all. This deserved top 40.

2. None of the other girls in this rate ever had the balls to release something like Young Fresh n New. Sorry America I just state facts.

KingBruno, GimmeWork, Aester and 5 others like this.
  3. 'Fresh' is a cool song, but I knew it was going to be the first Kelis song to bite it.

And I like Jerk Ribs.

vague, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  4. Problematic lyrics aside, Good Good is amazing & one of the songs I've been returning to most after discovering it in this rate.

5. I always forget how "Jerk Ribs" goes immediately after I've finished listening to it, much like how I always forget that Kelis did actually release a follow-up to Flesh Tone.

Riiiiiiiii, vague, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  6. I'm trying to remember how Jerk Ribs goes right now and I honestly can't. I do remember it's good though ddd

7. My husband bought me Food as a birthday present one year (he stanned Flesh Tone). I listened to Food quite a lot because of that...

...and yet I couldn't tell you how a single one of the songs goes.

8. It feels just like it should
    I wake up, this, this is what it looks like
    So don't miss this, this is what it looks like
    So call on me, it feels just like it should
    So call on me

I feel like that's a pretty memorable part of "Jerk Ribs." But it's also the only song on Food that I can instantly recall, so I do get where you're all coming from.

I admire the boldness of "Young, Fresh, 'n' New" but I honestly only ever listen to the Timo Maas remix, which makes it 100 percent more boppable:

9. I was all for giving Jerk Ribs a 5/10 until the last minute or so tugged on my wig a bit.

10. "Young" deserved so much better! One of the most, if not the most daring and different sound in the whole rate. Kelis did that!

KingBruno, vague, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  11. I forgot to link the other Kelis and The Neptunes' collab I love and think everyone should know.

GimmeWork, vague, elektroxx and 3 others like this.
  12. I really fell in love with Jerk Ribs after Kelis performed it at Afropunk. Her singing the high note was one of my favorite live moments ever.

13. The next eliminated song received ten 10s, making it the song with the second most 10s outside of the top 30. Mess incoming...

14. Okay, which Kelis song is this?

15. .

Fuchsia, vague, berserkboi and 4 others like this.
  16. Something from Keri's discography can go. A bunch of them can go actually.

Riiiiiiiii, slaybellz, vague and 3 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's Luv? (Fat Joe feat. Ashanti)
    Ashanti 4/9

10 @elektroxx me @berserkboi @Sprockrooster @tylerc904 @RUNAWAY @Untouchable Ace @Holly Something @slaybellz @Remorque | 9.75 @vague
    0 @Verandi | 3 @Empty Shoebox | 4 @GimmeWork

Trajectory:
    5: #32 (7.9)
    10: #25 (8.625)
    15: #38 (7.911)
    20: #44 (7.7)
    25: #45 (7.32)
    30: #46 (7.517)
    35: #43 (7.843)
    All: #44 (7.765)

What’s Luv was released in February 2002 as the second single from Fat Joe’s fourth album Jealous Ones Still Envy (J.O.S.E.) (...). It was written by Fat Joe, Ja Rule, Chink Santana and Irv Gotti and produced by the latter two. It samples Big Pun's Fat Joe-featuring 1998 hit Still Not a Player (thatwasaclassic.gif). What's Luv was a huge hit, hitting #2 in the US (being blocked from #1 by Ashanti's Foolish, making her the first female artist to have the two top songs in the US) and it was the 8th biggest song of 2002 in the US. It also hit #4 in the UK and top 10/20 pretty much all over Europe, in Canada and in Australia. The song was composed at the same time as Ashanti's first smash, Always on Time, and the original plan was to have Jennifer Lopez on the song, according to Fat Joe:
    A week later [after Big Pun's funeral], I’m in my house, and my phone rings at like four in the morning, and it’s Irv Gotti. And he was like, ‘Yo, yo, come now!’ And I’m like, ‘Who the fuck is this?!’ And he’s like, ‘It’s Irv. I’m at The Hit Factory, come now.’

So when I get there, he plays me, [sings] ‘Always there when you call, always on time.’ He played me that, and I was like, ‘Oh shit, that’s a hit!’ And he was like, that’s Ja Rule’s record. But guess what? Me and Ja made a record for you. And he plays ‘What’s Luv.’ And I was like, ‘Oh shit!!!!!!’ That was it.

The hook was there. Ja Rule wrote hook and sung the hook. And they were like, ‘Yo, get J. Lo on the hook.’ And I was like, ‘Aiight. Have a girl reference it.’ And Ashanti did it, and I was like, ‘You know what Irv? She sounds amazing on it. We don’t even need J. Lo.’ He was like, ‘You sure? You’re cool with J. Lo. She just sold six million records.’ I was like, ‘We don’t need her for this. Let’s [keep] Ashanti.’ It was her and Ja, and it was a movie.

What's Luv is an absolute classic, and the amount of 10s it received is a testament to that. It not even making the top 40 is a mess, but being a very male-centric song, I guess it was never going to do that well. Though, if @Verandi hadn't voted, it would have ended up ten places higher, at #34...

Mami I know you got issues:
    @Verandi (0) nn no thanks. (should have been my reaction to your ballot)

You're ruinin' my high:
    @Rei Ayanami (5) Very of its time. It’s harmless but doesn’t really command your attention. Inoffensive through and through.

It's about us, it's about trust babe:
    @livefrommelbs (8) Another classic! Ashanti really was that binch for a while there, wasn't she? Stealing Fat Joe's song from right under his nose!

@lalaclairi_ (8) This is another one of Ashanti's classic singles, but it's not among my favorites.

@londonrain (9) Still a banger. This is the first I’m hearing of the Ja Rule feature, though... he definitely wasn’t on the radio edit. Also, Ashanti singing “don’t want your stacks, just break my back” to Fat Joe, of all people... it’snotrealistic.gif. (Actually...)

@Music Is Life (9) BOP. Love the production. Would prefer more Ashanti though.

@godspeed (9.5) "Ashanti features were the bomb! I love "Foolish," I love her debut album but her features were just next level back in the day. Just think of "Always On Time" (if we got to rate that one, it would have probably gotten my 11), "Ain't It Funny" or "I'm Real." Yeah those are technically not "features," but you know the deal. "What's Luv?" is just another glorious addition to this list. It's crazy how Ashanti never became the legend she so deservedly should have became, just those first few singles are legendary!"

@berserkboi (10) A bop for the ages, cringey lyrics aside!

@Sprockrooster (10) So deliciously American. Also Ja Rule and Fat Joe are so quintessential zeroes. I stan.

@RUNAWAY (10) this song is the JAM. Remember when Ashanti was the FIRST FEMALE ARTIST to be both number 1 and 2 with Foolish and this song? She fucking did that. Also:

(DDD)

@Holly Something (10) A bop.

@slaybellz (10) Ashanti made some points with her verse. This is one of those songs that people always go crazy for when it song comes on at the club or parties and rightly so.

@Remorque (10) I'm probably in the minority here, but nostalgia finally won in the end. This takes me back to a simpler time in my life when all I had to do was work for school, play soccer and secretly drink with my friends, because I wasn't allowed to by my parents. I'm ignoring Fat Joe's parts and just live for Ashanti living ha fantasy. Ddddd at them wanting J.Lo first though. I love me some Jennifer, but the woman would have sounded seaux pitchy during that chorus...

The video:

Legends only:

19. You know if J.Lo recorded this song, Ashanti’s vocals would still be on the chorus....

20. Either that or maybe it'd actually be Christina Milian singing ddd

GimmeWork, vague, berserkboi and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.