R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

I mentioned before, but if I hadn't missed that Kelis actually debutted in 1999 and not the 00s, and so the "debutted in the 00s" criteria I was using when selecting who would be in the rate wasn't quite 100% met, I might have included Mýa as well. She debutted in 1998 so she really wouldn't be out of place in the rate.

Really so why does Spotify make a point to call it the no intro version?

The version in my library has them combined but I probably got it from limewire so I guess it could just be a rip of the video.

Probably because a version of Only U with the intro was actually released, it appears on some of the single formats listed on Discogs. But yeah, the album version being listed as "no intro version" is pretty dumb regardless.

she/her
Someone sent me a ballot with the songs that didn't make part 2 instead of the ones you're actually supposed to rate

giphy.gif

Let me just quote this in case anyone else is confused ddd
me bringing the right scores after spending three days rating the wrong songs
original-16283-1431996277-12.png

Dip-It-Low.png

Dip It Low
Christina Milian 1/9
11 @Robsolete
| 10 @elektroxx @Tchelitchew @ssa @Bslg17 @berserkboi @Ana Raquel @vague @londonrain @lalaclairi_ @Hurricane Drunk @CasuallyCrazed @tylerc904 @RUNAWAY @Daniel_O @abael @godspeed @Untouchable Ace @Conan @Holly Something @slaybellz @Remorque | 9.5 @Fuchsia
5 @Empty Shoebox | 6 @Phonetics Boy | 7 @Riiiiiiiii
My score: 9

Trajectory:
5: #5 (9.4)
10: #6 (9.6)
15: #9 (9.214)
20: #9 (9.3)
25: #7 (9.2)
30: #4 (9.242)
35: #4 (9.35)
All: #4 (9.243)

Dip It Low was released on April 2004 as the lead single from Christina Milian's second album It's About Time. It was written by Paul Poli (so that's what's being said in that intro ddd) and Teedra Moses and also produced by Paul Poli. There are three versions of the song, which were released in different territories - the solo version, one featuring a rap by Fabulous and also a third version featuring German rapper Samy Deluxe. It was a big departure for Christina, feature a more R&B sound and a sexualised image compared to the singles from her first album, which were a lot Poppier and tamer. This change of direction worked for Christina as the song became much more successful than her previous singles in the US, charting at #5 and being certified Gold. It was also a big hit internationally, peaking at #2 and being certified Silver in the UK, and going top 10/20 all over Europe and in New Zealand. The Fabulous version was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration.

Dip It Low is my least favourite song in the top 15, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad it's finally out. Which is not to say I don't like it (I did give it a 9), but I definitely don't consider it as great or as much of a classic as the rest of the songs. It's the only song in the top 5 to never have been in the #1 spot through the voting period, and in fact it never even entered the top 3. However, it did get the most 10s in the rate, and the third most in the rate, twenty-one. It got its lowest score from @Empty Shoebox, but if @Empty Shoebox hadn't voted, it would actually have done worse, as @Empty Shoebox gave Only U an even lower score, and Dip It Low would actually fall behind it.

All my ladies wind it up:
@Rei Ayanami (8) Probably her best single.

@Music Is Life (8.75) Bop. Not much else to this.

@livefrommelbs (9) What a bop. I still vividly remember seeing the video back when it first came out - that oil! The chorus pops all the way off.

@ssa (10) The amount of times I missed the corner of my desk dropping to the floor aping her in the video. But this was seriously my favourite song for years. 3 or 4 years ago I dreamt I as invited to a baptism or some sort of religious function in some open field and she was there performing this, choreo and everything. Best night of my life.
Y’all need to repent for not having included Whatever U Want in the rate.

@berserkboi (10) A Career Highlight!

@lalaclairi_ (10) I'll never get tired of hearing this.

@RUNAWAY (10) yas bitch yas. This was one of the first songs I ever bought on itunes, and I’m still living for it to this day. She totally slayed.

@godspeed (10) "A banger! That's actually the only Christina Milian song that I really knew before this rate and I have always loved it. It's full of cheesy lyrics but it fucking bangs! Pop, pop, pop that thing, indeed!"

@Untouchable Ace (10) My runner up 11. I always loved this and was excited te experience her support with her new era around this time. But eventually there was no more material on show and she disappeared.

@Holly Something (10) An anthem tbh.​

@slaybellz (10) "Poptapoptapop that thing!!!" This was such a moment for her. Her rolling around in the black paint in the video, iconic.​

@Remorque (10) Dip it low, pick it up slow
Roll it all around, poke it out, let your back go
Pop-t, pop-t, pop that thang
I'mma show you how to make your man say, "Oh"

The video:

Legends only:

Last edited:

Dip-It-Low.png

Dip It Low
Christina Milian 1/9
11 @Robsolete
| 10 @Tchelitchew @ssa @Bslg17 @berserkboi @Ana Raquel @vague @londonrain @lalaclairi_ @Hurricane Drunk @casually crazed @tylerc904 @RUNAWAY @Daniel_O @abael @godspeed @Untouchable Ace @Conan @Holly Something @slaybellz @Remorque | 9.5 @Fuchsia
5 @Empty Shoebox | 6 @Phonetics Boy | 7 @Riiiiiiiii
My score: 9

Trajectory:
5: #5 (9.4)
10: #6 (9.6)
15: #9 (9.214)
20: #9 (9.3)
25: #7 (9.2)
30: #4 (9.242)
35: #4 (9.35)
All: #4 (9.243)

Dip It Low was released on April 2004 as the lead single from Christina Milian's second album It's About Time. It was written by Paul Poli (so that's what's being said in that intro ddd) and Teedra Moses and also produced by Paul Poli. There are three versions of the song, which were released in different territories - the solo version, one featuring a rap by Fabulous and also a third version featuring German rapper Samy Deluxe. It was a big departure for Christina, feature a more R&B sound and a sexualised image compared to the singles from her first album, which were a lot Poppier and tamer. This change of direction worked for Christina as the song became much more successful than her previous singles in the US, charting at #5 and being certified Gold. It was also a big hit internationally, peaking at #2 and being certified Silver in the UK, and going top 10/20 all over Europe and in New Zealand. The Fabulous version was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration.

Dip It Low is my least favourite song in the top 15, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad it's finally out. Which is not to say I don't like it (I did give it a 9), but I definitely don't consider it as great or as much of a classic as the rest of the songs. It's the only song in the top 5 to never have been in the #1 spot through the voting period, and in fact it never even entered the top 3. However, it did get the most 10s in the rate, and the third most in the rate, twenty-one. It got its lowest score from @Empty Shoebox, but if @Empty Shoebox hadn't voted, it would actually have done worse, as @Empty Shoebox gave Only U an even lower score, and Dip It Low would actually fall behind it.

All my ladies wind it up:
@Rei Ayanami (8) Probably her best single.

@Music Is Life (8.75) Bop. Not much else to this.

@livefrommelbs (9) What a bop. I still vividly remember seeing the video back when it first came out - that oil! The chorus pops all the way off.

@ssa (10) The amount of times I missed the corner of my desk dropping to the floor aping her in the video. But this was seriously my favourite song for years. 3 or 4 years ago I dreamt I as invited to a baptism or some sort of religious function in some open field and she was there performing this, choreo and everything. Best night of my life.
Y’all need to repent for not having included Whatever U Want in the rate.

@berserkboi (10) A Career Highlight!

@lalaclairi_ (10) I'll never get tired of hearing this.

@RUNAWAY (10) yas bitch yas. This was one of the first songs I ever bought on itunes, and I’m still living for it to this day. She totally slayed.

@godspeed (10) "A banger! That's actually the only Christina Milian song that I really knew before this rate and I have always loved it. It's full of cheesy lyrics but it fucking bangs! Pop, pop, pop that thing, indeed!"

@Untouchable Ace (10) My runner up 11. I always loved this and was excited te experience her support with her new era around this time. But eventually there was no more material on show and she disappeared.

@Holly Something (10) An anthem tbh.

I'mma show you how to make your man say, "Oh"

The video:

Legends only:

The only song I really like out of the final 3 is Like A Boy so I can only assume that's out next.

I'd have placed Only U 1st and Dip It Low 2nd based on the top 5 we had.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't think Dip It Low is one of the best songs of all time.

As I said earlier in the rate, I heard it out in GAY Late when I was there in November, which is the first time I've heard it out in a club for about 14 years, and wow, what a moment. A moment that is most pleasing to me in my life. And let me tell you... I dipped it low, picked it up slow, rolled it all around, poked it out like my back broke and my thang was pop't.

I'mma show you how to make your man say, "Oh"​

I don't trust anyone who doesn't think Dip It Low is one of the best songs of all time.

As I said earlier in the rate, I heard it out in GAY Late when I was there in November, which is the first time I've heard it out in a club for about 14 years, and wow, what a moment. A moment that is most pleasing to me in my life. And let me tell you... I dipped it low, picked it up slow, rolled it all around, poked it out like my back broke and my thang was pop't.

After all this time I'm still not sure which one of these two is right, or if Christina actually sings both.

A bulletproof top3!

Thanks for the early promo for my next rate!

For my next rate, I'm thinking of focusing on the late 00s-early 10s Quirky Pop Girl era, which saw the debut of a lot of interesting artists, especially in the UK, who really blurred the line between being a singer-songwriter and a pop star, and many of whom continue to be forum favourites to this day. My plan is including songs from their debut albums only, I'm thinking 6 songs each (the singles + some album highlights) from 13 different artists/albums. Here is the list I've come up with:

Santigold (Santogold/2008)
Ladyhawke (Ladyhawke/2008)
La Roux (La Roux/2009)
Little Boots (Hands/2009)
Florence + The Machine (Lungs/2009)
Marina & The Diamonds (The Family Jewels/2010)
Ellie Goulding (Lights/2010)
Diana Vickers (Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree/2010)
Nicola Roberts (Cinderella's Eyes/2011)
Natalia Kills (Perfectionist/2011)
Lana Del Rey (Born To Die/2012)
Charli XCX (True Romance/2013)
Foxes (Glorious/2014)

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

I heard it out in GAY Late when I was there in November, which is the first time I've heard it out in a club for about 14 years, and wow, what a moment. A moment that is most pleasing to me in my life.

The literal lol I let out when I read this. What a reference. Also, I'd give a limb to hear Dip It Low out at a club (metaphorically anyway, as I'd need all limbs for thang-popping).

The literal lol I let out when I read this. What a reference. Also, I'd give a limb to hear Dip It Low out at a club (metaphorically anyway, as I'd need all limbs for thang-popping).
I still haven't recovered, and I doubt I ever will. Even better, the music video was playing on the screens which only added to the joy of it all.
Eaux. I was hoping it was actually "let your back go" because I really hate that line.
I think it's an amazing lyric, but I feel like it's obvious at this point that I can't be unbiased when it comes to the song.