R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Like-A-Boy.jpg

Like A Boy
Ciara 2/9
11 @tylerc904 @Verandi
| 10 @elektroxx @Tchelitchew @Rei Ayanami me @berserkboi @vague @londonrain @lalaclairi_ @CasuallyCrazed @Sprockrooster @Robsolete @RUNAWAY @godspeed @Music Is Life @Conan @Holly Something @Cutlery | 9.5 @Phonetics Boy @Riiiiiiiii @Daniel_O @Aester @slaybellz
7 @KingBruno @abael | 7.75 @Butterfly

Trajectory:
5: #5 (9.4)
10: #12 (9.4)
15: #8 (9.25)
20: #6 (9.4)
25: #1 (9.5)
30: #2 (9.433)
35: #2 (9.449)
All: #2 (9.418)

Like A Boy was released in February 2007 (exactly thirteen years and three days ago) as the third US and second European single from Ciara's sophomore album The Evolution, which had come out the previous December. Its release as a single was the result of a poll on Ciara's Myspace page (a real throwback), with the other two options being Can't Leave 'Em Alone, which was released as the album's following single, and That's Right, which ended up remaining an album track. It was written by Ciara and The Clutch (a songwriter team of which Keri Hilson was part of, so it looks Keri won in the end, despite being the first in the rate to lose all her songs) and produced by Ciara, The Clutch and Calvo Da Gr8. An empowering bop with lyrics about a role reversal in a relationship, according to Ciara, "it's a record for my women". Like A Boy's unique production mixes Hip-Hop and orchestral elementals, and it was one of the first songs Ciara co-produced. True to the parent album's title, the one two punch of Promise and Like A Boy really showed Ciara's evolution as an artist, and that there was a lot more to her than just (flawless, rate-winning) Crunk&B bops. Like A Boy's video is one of the most iconic in the rate. Directed by Diane Martel and fully in black and white, it has Ciara showing her incredible dancing skills and staying true to the song's lyrics, dancing with her male alter-ego, doing traditionally masculine choreography and doing her iconic matrix move. Like A Boy was a hit for Ciara, peaking at #16 and being certified Platinum in the US and at #19 and being certified Gold in the UK, and also being a top 10/20 hit in several European countries.

As you can see, Like A Boy wasn't even in the top 5 for most of the first half of the voting period, though it always had a 9.4+ average, which is very impressive. Like A Boy actually received the least 10s in the top 5 (seventeen), but this was offset by it not getting any scores below 7, and only six below 9. It was very close to winning, only coming 0.024 short, so it would have been enough for someone to have scored it just one point higher for it to take the crown.

Like a bop:
@livefrommelbs (8) Remember when Cici ended gender double standards?

@Untouchable Ace (9.2) I was expecting a Beyonce moment but it's also a song about relationships.

@slaybellz (9.5) Omg the video for this is so iconic!! And then Beyonce came out with the ballad version of this concept a year later but it didn't hit the same.

@Rei Ayanami (10) Her best song and video up to that point.

@berserkboi (10) Even better than back in the day! Ciara, Queen of Timelessness!

@londonrain (10) A violin riff in a minor key? Always a winner.

@Sprockrooster (10) When those violins come in and I am instantly send.

@RUNAWAY (10) Ciara’s list here is BULLETPROOF. She’s one of the best R&B artists out there, and she’s still killing it.

@godspeed (10) "An anthem. "If I played you like a toy, sometimes I wish I could act like a boy." The feminist anthem of a generation. The music video is iconic too."

@Music Is Life (10) Love the lyrics, love the production, love the melody, love her voice, and I honestly just love everything about this.

@Holly Something (10) Another 11 contender here.

@Verandi Like (11) Easily the track from this rate I'm attached to the most. I remember buying the cd single just to get Get Up (it was a b-side in some European countries) and this song got me obsessed on the first listen. Mixing classical music with hip hop was *chef's kiss*. The video being iconic and doing the absolute most with the Matrix move? The memories! Songs like this happen once in an artist's career.

The video:

Legends only:

1-2-Step.jpg

1, 2 Step (feat. Missy Elliott)
Ciara 1/9

10 @elektroxx @livefrommelbs @Tchelitchew me @Ana Raquel @vague @GimmeWork @londonrain @lalaclairi_ @Hurricane Drunk @Sprockrooster @Robsolete @tylerc904 @RUNAWAY @Verandi @Daniel_O @abael @godspeed @Music Is Life @Conan @slaybellz @Remorque | 9.8 @berserkboi @Untouchable Ace
7 @Empty Shoebox @Aester | 8 @Rei Ayanami @KingBruno @Butterfly

Trajectory:
5: #5 (9.4)
10: #7 (9.58)
15: #4 (9.45)
20: #3 (9.503)
25: #2 (9.482)
30: #1 (9.452)
35: #1 (9.496)
All: #1 (9.442)

1, 2 Step was released in October 2004 as the second single from Ciara's debut album Goodies. It was written by Ciara, Missy Elliott, and Jazze Pha, with the latter also producing it, as well as providing the intro and a couple of lines through the song. Missy Elliot's verse interpolates R&B singer Teena Marie's 1981 hit Square Biz, which ties to the song's 80s Electro/Hip-Hop inspired Crunk&B sound, with Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock being another inspiration. 1, 2 Step, which was originally recorded two years before Ciara's debut was released, was the first of Ciara and Missy's collaborations, and Missy had this to say about how the song came about: "I remember Jazze Pha called me about her. He said, “Hey sis I got an artist named Ciara, and I want you to write a song for her.” Remember, I was not a TV watcher or radio listener so he sent me her video and I was like, “Wow she is dope,” and I can use the whole rap-sing style on her because she dances. I remember after I did it, I said this might sound too rap-y so I pulled up the keyboard and played some keys to make it have some singing R&B feel in there for a bridge. I was scared to send it, but when I sent it to Jazze he said, “We are going to make this her next single!” The first time I met Ciara was at the video shoot, and we have been great sisters since". Ciara and Missy, name a more iconic pair. 1, 2 Step was a huge hit, easily matching Goodies's success, charting at #2 and being certified triple Platinum in the US, at #3 and being certified Gold in the UK and also at #2 and going Platinum/Gold in Australia and New Zealand respectively and top 10/20 all over Europe. It was nominated for a Best Rap/Sung Collaboration Grammy Award, which it lost to *sigh* Linkin Park and Beyoncé's husband. Misogyny at its finest.

And here we are. With the second most 10s (twenty-two, after Milkshake's twenty-four) and, unlike all the other songs in the top 9, not a single 11, but with only seven scores below 9 and two below 8, 1, 2 Step is the R&B Bop Queen Rate's winner. It was always a close race, with 1, 2 Step and Like A Boy taking the first and second places in the leaderboard at the 25 voter point, and always having extremely close averages, but 1, 2 Step won in the end. I have to say, when I compiled the rate's song list I never consider 1, 2 Step as one of the possible winners (I thought if it was one of Ciara's early hits, it would be Goodies), but it's an absolutely classic and absolutely deserving of the crown. I love that the #1 song in the rate in is a collaboration between two of the most iconic women in the music industry, as Missy correctly guessed sixteen years ago "best believe I'm number one".

Let me see you 1, 2 step:
@Rei Ayanami (8) I liked it better in high school, but it’s still a jam.

@KingBruno (8) An enjoyable dance track, but not as good as its predecessor.

@berserkboi (9.8) This is a lot more like it, maybe it’s the rap feature? Missy is unmistakable here too!

@Untouchable Ace (9.8) A lot if these songs I remember being faster. Maybe music today is more sugary and instant. It just means that this genre of music from the 00's more about sensual swagger.

@livefrommelbs (10) I still remember being absolutely caught off-guard when the track first came out. Back then the R'n'B bops were always on the periphery for me (I was a devout Hilary Duff stan at the time), but this was undeniable. The beat slinks along with such a captivating rhythm, and Ciara just owns it from the first voice. The '1,2 step' hook is a total earworm, and Missy is reliably brilliant (evidence: "I shake it jello, make the boys say hello, cos they know I'm rockin the beat"). This is easily one of the runner-ups for my 11. A classic.

@lalaclairi_ (10) Missy and Ciara's songs together are legendary.

@Sprockrooster (10) I need more Missy and Ciara bops in my life!

@RUNAWAY (10) ICONIC. I remember sort of writing Cici off after Goodies (the song) but then she released this and I was completely HOOKED. It really irritates me that spotify has re-titled it to One Two Step when it has NEVER been called that.

@Verandi (10) It's probably her signature song at this point isn't it. Again, it slaps SO HARD.

@godspeed (10) "Totally unrelated but whenever I listen to this song, I need to play this criminally underrated Ciara feature next."

@Music Is Life (10) OH MY GOD I KNOW THIS ONE TOO! I had forgotten this song existed. It’s amazing. Such a total bop. I love the production and the melody throughout so much. Ugh her vocals are perfect. Missy’s verse is fire too.

@slaybellz (10) I made this mix CD when I was like 13 to play in my mom's car and this was the first song on it. We wore that CD out! I think my mom loved the song even more than I did ddd.

The video:

Legends only:

Tweet.gif

Tweet

Highest scorers
@berserkboi (9.722)
@vague (9.694)
@Music Is Life (9.5)
@Fuchsia (8.944)
@Remorque (8.833)

Lowest scorers

@CasuallyCrazed (2)
@Empty Shoebox (3.222)
@abael (5.333)
@Bslg17/@Hurricane Drunk (6)

Overall average

Overall rank

_

Christina-Milian.gif

Christina Milian
#72: We Ain't Worried
#70: Liar
#69: Rebel
#58: Gotta Get to You
#48: Us Against the World
#43: Say I (feat. Young Jeezy)
#22: When You Look At Me
#12: AM To PM
#4: Dip It Low

Highest scorers
@berserkboi (9.456)
@Music Is Life (9.306)
@Remorque (9.056)
me (9)
@lalaclairi_ (8.667)

Lowest scorers
@Rei Ayanami (5)
@Cutlery (5.222)
@CasuallyCrazed (5.306)
@Verandi (5.333)
@Empty Shoebox (5.778)

Overall average

Overall rank
_

Ashanti.gif

Ashanti
#71: Early In The Morning (feat. French Montana)
#67: I Got It (feat. Rick Ross)
#54: Say Less (feat. Ty Dolla $ign
#48: Happy
#46: Good Good
#44: What's Luv (Fat Joe feat. Ashanti)
#41: Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)
#35: Foolish
#5: Only U

Highest scorers
@berserkboi (9.7)
me (9.667)
@Music Is Life (9.444)
@vague (9.167)
@Remorque (9.056)

Lowest scorers
@Empty Shoebox (2.667)
@Verandi (4.667)
@CasuallyCrazed (5.056)
@GimmeWork (5.556)
@Aester (6.111)

Overall average

Overall rank
_

Amerie.gif

Amerie

Highest scorers

@Music Is Life (9.528)
@berserkboi (9.378)
@RUNAWAY (9.333)
@vague (8.972)
@Robsolete (8.833)

Lowest scorers

@CasuallyCrazed (2.139)
@Empty Shoebox (5.111)
@abael (6.444)
@Daniel_O (6.5)
@KingBruno (6.611)

Overall average

Overall rank

_

Cassie.gif

Cassie

Highest scorers

@berserkboi (9.733)
@vague (9.722)
me (9.556)
@RUNAWAY (9.444)
@Music Is Life (9.417)

Lowest scorers

@londonrain (3.15)
@Verandi (4.333)
@Empty Shoebox (4.888)
@Robsolete (6.056)
@ssa (6.111)

Overall average

Overall rank

_

Keri-Hilson.gif

Keri Hilson
Highest scorers
me/@Music Is Life (9.667)
@Untouchable Ace (9.278)
@berserkboi (9.267)
@Sprockrooster (9.222)

Lowest scorers
@Empty Shoebox (5.111)
@slaybellz (6.722)
@KingBruno (6.778)
@Riiiiiiiii (6.889)
@Aester (7.056)

Overall average

Overall rank
_​

Kelis.gif

Kelis
#45: Young, Fresh n' New
#42: Blindfold Me (feat. Nas)
#34: Good Stuff
#30: Jerk Ribs
#29: Bossy (feat. Too $hort)
#24: Caught Out There
#19: 4th of July (Fireworks)
#7: Trick Me
#3: Milkshake

Highest scorers
@GimmeWork/@Conan (9.778)
@Music Is Life (9.75)
@berserkboi (9.744)
@vague (9.556)

Lowest scorers
@londonrain (4.889)
@Empty Shoebox (5)
@CasuallyCrazed (6)
@slaybellz (7.444)
@Phonetics Boy (7.5)

Overall average

Overall rank
_​

Ciara.gif

Ciara
#27: I'm Out (feat. Nicki Minaj)
#26: Level Up
#18: Ride (feat. Ludacris)
#17: Dance Like We're Making Love
#11: Work (feat. Missy Elliott)
#8: Goodies (feat. Petey Pablo)
#6: Overdose
#2: Like A Boy
#1: 1, 2 Step (feat. Missy Elliott)

Highest scorers
@Music Is Life (10.111)
me (10)
@Conan (9.889)
@RUNAWAY (9.833)
@Riiiiiiiii (9.778)

Lowest scorers
@Empty Shoebox (5.111)
@Phonetics Boy (7.111)
@abael (7.333)
@KingBruno (7.556)
@Rei Ayanami (8)

Overall average

Overall rank

Eliminations
#72: We Ain't Worried
#71: Early In The Morning (feat. French Montana)

#70: Liar
#69: Rebel
#68: International Affair (Mark Ronson feat. Sean Paul & Tweet)
#67: I Got It (feat. Rick Ross)
#66: Talkin' About
#65: Don't Let Go
#64: Turn da Lights Off (feat. Missy Elliott)
#63: Magic
#62: Turnin Me On (feat. Lil Wayne)
#61: Official Girl (feat. Lil Wayne)

#60: Love a Loser (feat. G-Eazy)
#59: Thugman (feat. Missy Elliott)
#58: Gotta Get to You
#57: When I Need a Man
#56: No Panties (Trina feat. Tweet)
#55: Curious
#54: Say Less (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)
#53: Why R U
#52: Don't Play It Safe
#51: Why Don't We Fall in Love

#50: Heard 'em All
#48 (1): Us Against the World
#48 (2): Happy
#47: Paradise (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
#46: Good Good
#45: Young, Fresh n' New
#44: What's Luv (Fat Joe feat. Ashanti)
#43: Say I (feat. Young Jeezy)
#42: Blindfold Me (feat. Nas)
#41: Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)

#40: Call Me
#39: Scream (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & Nicole Scherzinger)
#38: Gotta Work
#37: Take Control
#36: Is It Love
#35: Foolish
#34: Good Stuff
#33: Boogie 2Nite
#32: Million Dollar Girl (Trina feat. Diddy & Keri Hilson)
#31: Return The Favor (feat. Timbaland)

#30: Jerk Ribs
#29: Bossy (feat. Too $hort)
#28: Knock You Down (feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo)
#27: I'm Out (feat. Nicki Minaj)
#26: Level Up
#25: Pretty Girl Rock
#24: Caught Out There
#23: Touch
#22: When You Look At Me
#21: Long Way 2 Go

#20: King of Hearts
#19: 4th of July (Fireworks)
#18: Ride (feat. Ludacris)
#17: Dance Like We're Making Love
#16: Lose Control (feat. Nelly)
#15: I Like
#14: The Way I Are (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.)
#13: Oops (Oh My)
#12: AM To PM
#11: Work (feat. Missy Elliott)

#10: 1 Thing
#9: Me & U
#8: Goodies (feat. Petey Pablo)
#7: Trick Me
#6: Overdose
#5: Only U
#4: Dip It Low
#3: Milkshake
#2: Like A Boy