R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Crush
@elektroxx, @Robsolete & @Remorque

10 @elektroxx @Phonetics Boy @berserkboi @Robsolete @ssa @Music Is Life | 9.5 @Rei Ayanami
3 @Empty Shoebox | 4 @Sprockrooster | 6 @abael @tylerc904
My score: 9

Crush was released in May 2007 as the seventh track on Amerie's third album Because I Love It. It was meant to be the album's third single, but its release was cancelled.

There are a lot of great album tracks in Because I Love It (and in Amerie's other albums as well), so it's a shame Crush was the only one that made Part 2. It's one of the songs that really shows the album's 80s flavour, which the singles didn't really reflected, so people who like Crush should definitely give the album a listen, if you haven't already.

Commentary:

@Sprockrooster (4) Sorry for whoever voted for this. It however is not clicking at all for me.

@livefrommelbs (7.5) The production is a bit 'everything and the kitchen sink' (classic Amerie), but the chorus is LOVELY GAL

@Verandi (7.5) Never been a favourite but it's an easy breezy bop. I KNOW some tasteless gays will comment that it deserved to be released instead of the two official singles and my reply is AH, SUFFER. (No-one did, oop)

@londonrain (8) This is so good. Why have I been sleeping on this?!

@Holly Something (8) A cute bop.

@Maki (8) I expected to like this more, but it's a very nice and pleasant song. There's something really charming about the chorus and the middle-8 is quite an interesting moment.

@godspeed (9) Now, that's one of the best songs on "Because I Love It." It really shows Amerie's versatility and how eclectic this greatly underrated R&B album was.

@Rei Ayanami (9.5) Such a sweet song. Deserved a video. Oh, how I love her third album.

@elektroxx (10) A great 80s-esque bop

@berserkboi (10) This is a very interesting vibe for Amerie – I endorse!

@ssa (10) I totally slept on this one when the album came out but the dragged out vocals in the chorus and the melody do it for me big time.

Legends only:

Crush
@elektroxx, @Robsolete & @Remorque

10 @elektroxx @Phonetics Boy @berserkboi @Robsolete @ssa @Music Is Life | 9.5 @Rei Ayanami
3 @Empty Shoebox | 4 @Sprockrooster | 6 @abael @tylerc904

Crush was released in May 2007 as the seventh track on Amerie's third album Because I Love It. It was meant to be the album's third single, but its release was cancelled.

There are a lot of great album tracks in Because I Love It (and in Amerie's other albums as well), so it's a shame Crush was the only one that made Part 2. It's one of the songs that really shows the album's 80s flavour, which the singles didn't really reflected, so people who like Crush should definitely give the album a listen, if you haven't already.

Commentary:

@Sprockrooster (4) Sorry for whoever voted for this. It however is not clicking at all for me.

@livefrommelbs (7.5) The production is a bit 'everything and the kitchen sink' (classic Amerie), but the chorus is LOVELY GAL

@Verandi (7.5) Never been a favourite but it's an easy breezy bop. I KNOW some tasteless gays will comment that it deserved to be released instead of the two official singles and my reply is AH, SUFFER. (No-one did, oop)

@londonrain (8) This is so good. Why have I been sleeping on this?!

@Holly Something (8) A cute bop.

@Maki (8) I expected to like this more, but it's a very nice and pleasant song. There's something really charming about the chorus and the middle-8 is quite an interesting moment.

@godspeed (9) Now, that's one of the best songs on "Because I Love It." It really shows Amerie's versatility and how eclectic this greatly underrated R&B album was.

@Rei Ayanami (9.5) Such a sweet song. Deserved a video. Oh, how I love her third album.

@elektroxx (10) A great 80s-esque bop

@berserkboi (10) This is a very interesting vibe for Amerie – I endorse!

@ssa (10) I totally slept on this one when the album came out but the dragged out vocals in the chorus and the melody do it for me big time.

Legends only:

Missed opportunity!

Queen of appearing on CD3 of Baby Boy (!)

---

Amerie's Crush was the planned third single and got a remix and video which were both shelved. A mess.

Legends only:

I will stan you for forever now. Not only did you post one of Paramore's classics, but one of my top 3 songs from the album, and my favorite video from that era? I absolutely love how emo it is. And God damn all the people in this band (including Taylor though this is pre his official inclusion) are so damn hot.

Whew, I'm done. Maybe.
Missed opportunity!

Queen of appearing on CD3 of Baby Boy (!)

---

Amerie's Crush was the planned third single and got a remix and video which were both shelved. A mess.

Nah, picking Paramore was perfect.

Focus
@GimmeWork & @Verandi

10 @elektroxx sprockrooster @Tchelitchew @Ana Raquel @Verandi | 9.5 @Music Is Life
4 @londonrain | 6 @Aester @abael @Empty Shoebox @Hurricane Drunk
My score: 8

Focus was released in December 2004 as the fifth track on Ashanti's fourth album Concrete Rose.

A moody bop. Not all that for me, but I'm happy.mp3 Ashanti managed to get three songs in the top 20, after the way she was done wrong in Part 1 (only one song in the top 30...).

Commentary:

@londonrain (4) Craig David’s Focus > Ariana Grande’s Focus >>> Ashanti’s Focus. (Not a huge fan of any of them to be honest, but I'd say Ashanti's is the best)

@berserkboi (8.5) Sonically interesting!

@Rei Ayanami (9) It knocks.

@godspeed (9) The original song is a strong 8. The remix is a 10.

@Maki (9) Can completely understand why this one was voted for multiple times. Quite memorable and well-produced track. But the spaced 'I'm focused now' hook totally makes the song for me. I even overscored it a bit, but it's such a great song. Oh, and the middle-8 is a highlight, too. Actually, I didn't overscore this one.

@Music Is Life (9.5) Ooof at this BOP! Love the production, especially the bass and the drums. It makes me wanna dance.

@elektroxx (10) This should’ve been a single. Concrete Rose deserved more, but label issues meant that the album was never able to achieve the success that it deserved.

@Sprockrooster (10) Everything from Concrete Rose is an instant 10 to be honest. What a brilliant album that remains to be. After voting for Don't Leave Me Alone myself (and almost going for Freedom) I am glad this racked up multiple votes. Edgy, but sweet.

@Verandi (10) WHAT A SONG! WHAT A BEAT! I feel like strutting down the streets when it comes on. She captured magic only twice in her career but whew those two songs sit comfortably together in the same album. Incredible.

Legends only:

The Way That I Love You
@londonrain, @tylerc904, @Daniel_O & @Robsolete

10 @elektroxx @Sprockrooster @RUNAWAY @Aester @londonrain @Robsolete @Maki @Music Is Life | 9.5 @berserkboi @vague
1 @Hurricane Drunk | 4 @Verandi | 5 @Empty Shoebox @ssa

The Way That I Love You was released in February 2008 (exactly twelve years and two days ago) as the lead single from Ashanti's fifth album The Declaration. It was Ashanti's last hit in the US.

A ballad in the top 20, who would have thought? And with nearly an 8 average too. The Way That I Love You received the most 10s so far (eight), but it was also one of the only two songs in Part 2 to received a 1.

Commentary:

@Verandi (4) Never been a fan of this one. It's just so busy, it starts at 100 and keeps it at 100 till the end, no climax, no breathers. Exhausting nn sorry.

@godspeed (7) I've never really liked this song, I've always thought it was too dramatic yet totally lacked any sort of emotivity, but let me give it a 7 just because y'all did Ashanti SO WRONG in the first part of the rate and she didn't deserve that.

@Rei Ayanami (7.5) It was a great comeback single, at least back then. I still think it was her best vocal up to that point.

@livefrommelbs (7.5) The drama of it all, mama!

@berserkboi (9.5) Beautiful work from Lady Ashanti!

@elektroxx (10) A great ballad with an even better promotional campaign. Y’all need to read the Wikipedia entry; it’s wild.

@Sprockrooster (10) The production is basically everything and girl is steamrolling those vocals. WHEW!

@RUNAWAY (10) I totally forgot about this song and how good it is!

@londonrain (10) That piano riff! That video! It so very nearly snatched my 11.

@Maki (10) Sad, melancholic, melodramatic. Lovely delivery, ad-libs and instrumentation, too. Yeah, I adore this. I can see this one growing on me even more, so here's a 10 in advance.

Legends only:

@elektroxx (10) A great ballad with an even better promotional campaign. Y’all need to read the Wikipedia entry; it’s wild.​

"A publicity stunt was coordinated with the music video's release through Ashanti's website (TheWayThatILoveYou.com). The website allowed a user to create and send a personalized news report and a death threat to a contact. The message, stylized as a "gotcha-gram", featured a news report about a series of murders inspired by "The Way That I Love You" music video and the upcoming release of The Declaration. The message could be customized to include the victim's name and crime, the murder weapon, and the sender's name and home state. The choices for crimes were sleeping around, suspected sleeping around, playing you like a fool, and breaking your heart. The weapons included a boot, knife, can, sledgehammer, rolling pin, and a guillotine. The news report ends with the disclaimer, "Ashanti and Universal Music Group do not encourage or condone violence of any kind. This is for parody purposes only." Each message was attributed to the fictional Universal Crime Network. An example of a gotcha-gram, sent to CNN's Lola Ogunnaike, was: "Do you know the person pictured in the following video. If so, please contact me immediately. Your life might be in danger."

giphy.gif

he / him
Y'all always do my girl Ashanti so wrong.
"A publicity stunt was coordinated with the music video's release through Ashanti's website (TheWayThatILoveYou.com). The website allowed a user to create and send a personalized news report and a death threat to a contact. The message, stylized as a "gotcha-gram", featured a news report about a series of murders inspired by "The Way That I Love You" music video and the upcoming release of The Declaration. The message could be customized to include the victim's name and crime, the murder weapon, and the sender's name and home state. The choices for crimes were sleeping around, suspected sleeping around, playing you like a fool, and breaking your heart. The weapons included a boot, knife, can, sledgehammer, rolling pin, and a guillotine. The news report ends with the disclaimer, "Ashanti and Universal Music Group do not encourage or condone violence of any kind. This is for parody purposes only." Each message was attributed to the fictional Universal Crime Network. An example of a gotcha-gram, sent to CNN's Lola Ogunnaike, was: "Do you know the person pictured in the following video. If so, please contact me immediately. Your life might be in danger."

giphy.gif
How iconically messy is that? I literally screamed when I read that.