R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Love Sex Magic (feat. Justin Timberlake)
@ssa, @Ana Raquel & @Untouchable Ace
11 @Ana Raquel @Untouchable Ace @Music Is Life
| 10 @livefrommelbs me @Bslg17 @tylerc904 @ssa | 9 @elektroxx @Aester @londonrain @Verandi @godspeed
4 @Empty Shoebox | 5 @Phonetics Boy @abael @Holly Something

Love Sex Magic was released in March 2009 (on March 3 to be exact, I really should have eliminated it yesterday!) as the second US single and lead international single for Ciara's third album Fantasy Ride.

Love Sex Magic is tied with another song for the least 10s in the top 10, and also with another two songs for the most 11s in the whole rate, which is somewhat of an unlikely combination. I wouldn't really call it one of Ciara's absolute best, but it's still a huge bop, and I'm pleased it did well despite featuring someone who's not exactly a forum fave.

Commentary:

@Rei Ayanami (6) It's ok. It just goes on and on without the tempo changing or anything interesting.

@Holly Something (6) I'm glad it gave her a much needed hit but I've never really cared for it.

@Sprockrooster (7.5) A bit dead in the water nowadays isn't it?

@RUNAWAY (7.5) this song is great until JT comes on and….does his thing. Sorry I really hate him and his stupid voice.

@berserkboi (7.5) I am really into Ciara here but the chorus is a little weak

@Verandi (9) THAT INTRO! I remember being relieved that this was pushed as the lead in Europe because Never Ever is NOT VERY GOOD. Still a huge bop, you almost forget that Justin's a dickhead.

@godspeed (9) I used to be OBSESSED with this song when it came out. I was a huge Justin Timberlake fan (a PopJustice sin it seems) and I loved Ciara, so of course this collaboration was the sort of wet dream a basic R&B fan like me had.

@livefrommelbs (10) This has one of my favourite intros in modern pop music. The flourish of strings, JT's count-in and Ciara just feeling her damn oats - all before the beat proper begins. It just kicks the eff off and doesn't really let up the whole way through. Still great.

@ssa (10) Insert 75,000-word essay on the things Justin can do to me based on this video alone even though I don’t usually like him.

@Untouchable Ace (11) This is timeless but also of it's time. It's very Justin as well but Ciara makes it. I love the Justin's solo where sing the whole thing to a guy.

@Music Is Life (11) This has always been that jam. The only song I could immediately recall is by Ciara. The production is so funky and good. I mean, the guitar. Yessssss. I’m not a JT fan so I don’t care either way, but he’s actually pretty fucking great on this. Always been one of my favorite songs as kid that would randomly pop into my head or I’d randomly hear over the years and jam to. 11 worthy certainly.

EDIT: So I was torn between this and Call Me, Beep Me! (and The Way You Love Me actually) for my 11. I went with this because…actually to be honest I’m not really sure. It just feels like I should give my 11 to Ciara. It’s not often I get my wig torn off by an artist constantly, but CiCi has done that with both of her sections in the two parts of this rate, and I just wanted to give it to a song I’ve loved for a long time. Especially when it’s amazing as this. I mean the second the intro plays, you can bet I’m ready to have my ass moving. It’s just such an amazing song, and I’m not sure if that’s despite JT or…well I know it’s not because of him. At least, I think it’d be just as amazing without him, but he doesn’t make the song any less then it is, and the dynamic created by making this a duet is great, and a smart move. Anyways, this is amazing and while I’m not expecting this to win, but I’m certain it will do well, so as long as one of my 10s does I’m happy.

Legends only:

(Upcoming rate #promo)

Promise
me, @lalaclairi_ & @Aester
11 me @Tchelitchew @Aester
| 10 @elektroxx @Phonetics Boy @RUNAWAY @tylerc904 @Verandi @Robsolete @godspeed @Holly Something @Music Is Life | 9 @Rei Ayanami @Bslg17 @Hurricane Drunk
3 @Empty Shoebox | 5 @abael | 6 @Sprockrooster

Promise was released in October 2006 as the second single from Ciara's sophomore.mp3 album The Evolution.

What's the point of doing a rate in two parts if I can't even get my 11 in the top 5 of either part? Maybe I should have just rejected @Empty Shoebox's ballot so Promise would have ended up at #5. Promise is tied with Love Sex Magic and another song for the most 11s in the rate, and is an absolute classic that definitely deserved better than #7, but what can you do.

Commentary:

@Sprockrooster (6) Alright.

@londonrain (7) This is SO sexy.

@berserkboi (8) Very interesting elements!

@Rei Ayanami (9) At the time, this was such a swift in sound but I loved it then and it's aged really well.

@elektroxx (10) This is a classic, so much so that she attempted to recreate it with “Never Ever,” but not quite capturing the magic of “Promise.” Everything about “Promise” is perfect; the song, the video, the choreography, iconic.

@Verandi (10) Her best mid-tempo by a country mile. Incredible in every single aspect, but it's the middle 8 that really stomps on my neck. Good god Cici.

@godspeed (10) One of Ciara's finest songs.

@Holly Something (10) I'm ignoring He Who Must Not Be Named's involvement in this.

@Music Is Life (10) The production for this is amazing and the melody is soooooo catchy I can’t even.

Legends only:

Love Sex Magic (feat. Justin Timberlake)
@ssa, @Ana Raquel & @Untouchable Ace
11 @Ana Raquel @Untouchable Ace @Music Is Life
| 10 @livefrommelbs me @Bslg17 @tylerc904 @ssa | 9 @elektroxx @Aester @londonrain @Verandi @godspeed
4 @Empty Shoebox | 5 @Phonetics Boy @abael @Holly Something

Love Sex Magic was released in March 2009 (on March 3 to be exact, I really should have eliminated it yesterday!) as the second US single and lead international single for Ciara's third album Fantasy Ride.

Love Sex Magic is tied with another song for the least 10s in the top 10, and also with another two songs for the most 11s in the whole rate, which is somewhat of an unlikely combination. I wouldn't really call it one of Ciara's absolute best, but it's still a huge bop, and I'm pleased it did well despite featuring someone who's not exactly a forum fave.

Commentary:

@Rei Ayanami (6) It's ok. It just goes on and on without the tempo changing or anything interesting.

@Holly Something (6) I'm glad it gave her a much needed hit but I've never really cared for it.

@Sprockrooster (7.5) A bit dead in the water nowadays isn't it?

@RUNAWAY (7.5) this song is great until JT comes on and….does his thing. Sorry I really hate him and his stupid voice.

@berserkboi (7.5) I am really into Ciara here but the chorus is a little weak

@Verandi (9) THAT INTRO! I remember being relieved that this was pushed as the lead in Europe because Never Ever is NOT VERY GOOD. Still a huge bop, you almost forget that Justin's a dickhead.

@godspeed (9) I used to be OBSESSED with this song when it came out. I was a huge Justin Timberlake fan (a PopJustice sin it seems) and I loved Ciara, so of course this collaboration was the sort of wet dream a basic R&B fan like me had.

@livefrommelbs (10) This has one of my favourite intros in modern pop music. The flourish of strings, JT's count-in and Ciara just feeling her damn oats - all before the beat proper begins. It just kicks the eff off and doesn't really let up the whole way through. Still great.

@ssa (10) Insert 75,000-word essay on the things Justin can do to me based on this video alone even though I don’t usually like him.

@Untouchable Ace (11) This is timeless but also of it's time. It's very Justin as well but Ciara makes it. I love the Justin's solo where sing the whole thing to a guy.

@Music Is Life (11) This has always been that jam. The only song I could immediately recall is by Ciara. The production is so funky and good. I mean, the guitar. Yessssss. I’m not a JT fan so I don’t care either way, but he’s actually pretty fucking great on this. Always been one of my favorite songs as kid that would randomly pop into my head or I’d randomly hear over the years and jam to. 11 worthy certainly.

EDIT: So I was torn between this and Call Me, Beep Me! (and The Way You Love Me actually) for my 11. I went with this because…actually to be honest I’m not really sure. It just feels like I should give my 11 to Ciara. It’s not often I get my wig torn off by an artist constantly, but CiCi has done that with both of her sections in the two parts of this rate, and I just wanted to give it to a song I’ve loved for a long time. Especially when it’s amazing as this. I mean the second the intro plays, you can bet I’m ready to have my ass moving. It’s just such an amazing song, and I’m not sure if that’s despite JT or…well I know it’s not because of him. At least, I think it’d be just as amazing without him, but he doesn’t make the song any less then it is, and the dynamic created by making this a duet is great, and a smart move. Anyways, this is amazing and while I’m not expecting this to win, but I’m certain it will do well, so as long as one of my 10s does I’m happy.

Legends only:

(Upcoming rate #promo)

source.gif

How did this not win?

Oh (feat. Ludacris)
@Rei Ayanami & @KingBruno

10 @elektroxx @Phonetics Boy @Sprockrooster @Rei Ayanami me @Tchelitchew @Aester @Robsolete @vague @Holly Something @Music Is Life | 9.5 @tylerc904 @Maki
2 @Empty Shoebox | 6 @abael @ssa

Oh was released in March 2005 (exactly fifteen years and three days ago) as the third single from Ciara's debut album Goodies.

Oh received the second most 10s in the rate (eleven) and would have been #3 if it weren't for @Empty Shoebox's ballot. When I first compiled the Part 2 song list, I assumed Oh was going to end up winning (and it would have been a very deserving winner too), but guess that would have been too obvious.

Commentary:

@ssa (6) Loved the song until I got the CD single. Must’ve given it a couple of spins before I grew tired of it. Cannot stand it now.

@Verandi (7) I don't love it like the two other hits from the album, she sounds bored as hell in this one. I would have preferred Hotline as a single tbh. Now that is a banger.

@godspeed (7.5) Never really been extremely fond of that one somehow. It's still a banger though, I cannot deny that! However, "Pick Up The Phone" is the true underrated bop from Ciara's debut.

@livefrommelbs (9) Doesn't quite reach the heights of Goodies and 1,2 Step, but still a classic bop.

@berserkboi (9) A bit of a gem, hey? Ludacris again – I’d give a miss to!

@londonrain (9) A banger.

@Maki (9.5) Those oriental melodic influences are so good and are slightly reminiscent of Bey's early solo work. Love the chorus and her chill delivery, as well as the harmonies. And there's a rap verse... okay.

@elektroxx (10) I feel like “Oh” is slept on, which I guess is understandable as it came after “Goodies” and “1, 2 Step,” but it’s a classic in its own right.

@Sprockrooster (10) My runner-up for my Ciara pick (High Price) and my runner-up. Always the bridesmaid... OH! But honestly a song. A classic.

@Rei Ayanami (10) This is going to win, as it probably should.

@Holly Something (10) My favourite song from the debut era.

@Music Is Life (10) Okay, this is a bop. It’s not as immediate as the first two singles from the album, cause I was kinda “eh” about it when I listened to it, but now I’m readily bopping and sensually swaying to it. Luda’s verse is pretty great too. Can see myself really LOVING this in the future. Originally had this at a 9.5 but after another listen I couldn’t stop singing and swaying so I was right and I’m completely LOVING it now.

Legends only:

Poor Kelis, she didn't deserve to lose all songs at this point.
@Untouchable Ace perfectly described why I'm not completely sold on "Acapella" - the melody has some weird turns that don't do it any justice.
"Brave" is better, but not perfect, either.

I thought that "Love, Sex and Magic" had a top 5 on lock, but, yeah, there's Justin.
It's one of the four songs I already (vaguely) knew before this rate, and it got an 8,5 from me.

I know it's me saying this but...how...how...how the fuck is this possible?
I simply give 10's and an 11 to songs which I have absolutely no objections or remarks for, and this time there were three of them. There isn't a single song that stood out so much, but my 11 is the favourite song here.
Like @soratami said, probably all the amazing songs are in the part 1.

source.gif

How did this not win?
Two words that start with J and T.
If Love Sex Magic didn't take it, and it was going to be a Ciara song, I wanted Promise to win. Screw all of you.
And Oh is out too?? What the fuck?!
Poor Kelis, she didn't deserve to lose all songs at this point.
@Untouchable Ace perfectly described why I'm not completely sold on "Acapella" - the melody has some weird turns that don't do it any justice.
"Brave" is better, but not perfect, either.

I thought that "Love, Sex and Magic" had a top 5 on lock, but, yeah, there's Justin.
It's one of the four songs I already (vaguely) knew before this rate, and it got an 8,5 from me.

I simply give 10's and an 11 to songs which I have absolutely no objections or remarks for, and this time there were three of them. There isn't a single song that stood out so much, but my 11 is the favourite song here.
Like @soratami said, probably all the amazing songs are in the part 1.
But all these songs were great-amazing...
I gave a 10 to 4/5 of the top 5, but I'd actually give Energy a 10 now, so I guess I'm okay with whatever happens, but I don't think I want Play to win, and I think it's going to.