R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti)
@elektroxx, @soratami, @berserkboi, @KingBruno, @lalaclairi_, @RUNAWAY, @godspeed & @Aester
11 @livefrommelbs @RUNAWAY @berserkboi
| 10 @elektroxx @Sprockrooster me @Tchelitchew @ssa @godspeed @Holly Something @Music Is Life | 9.5 @Robsolete
5 @Empty Shoebox | 6 @Phonetics Boy @Verandi

Always On Time was released on October 2001 as the second single from Ja Rule's third album Pain Is Love. It was the first song Ashanti appeared in and, fun fact: it was originally going to feature Brandy instead.

Literally a classic (as several of you mention in the commentary), I thought Always On Time would be a real contender for the Part 2 win. And I suppose it was, since it was just 0.12 away from #1, but it still missed the top 3. Always On Time is one of the three songs in the rate to have received the most 11s, along with Love Sex Magic and Promise, and it was also the most picked song for Part 2, with eight people going for it

Commentary:

@Verandi (6) Is there a noise worse than Ja Rule's voice? Probably not. Still the chorus is cute. I prefer Helpless tho.

@Butterfly (7.25) I had no idea Raye’s Decline had a sample, this is really nice. If it were Ashanti feat. Ja Rule I’d have scored it far higher. (well, I guess it's off to the retirement home for most of us)

@Maki (7.25) This is like Amerie's "Paradise" - a rap song with a really nice hook.

@Rei Ayanami (8) Sounds every bit of 2002, but it's still cool. As overplayed as this song was, I never got sick of it. 50 Cent had higher highs, Ja Rule had more highs overall. Fight me.

@londonrain (9) Still the career-defining Ashanti collab. Ja’s lyrics, though...

@Untouchable Ace (9.3) This was everywhere. Good for her.

@elektroxx (10) That was a classic, that was a classic, etc.

@Sprockrooster (10) The sheer nostalgia alone makes this a 10. But looking at the song itself it is pretty timeless isn't it.

@godspeed (10) Remember when I said this would get my 11? It totally deserves it, this aged amazingly and the dose of nostalgia I get anytime I hear those guitar strings and Ashanti's sweet vocals is unmatched by any song. It's my 11, but I can't unfortunately give this score twice.

@Holly Something (10) A classic tbh.

@livefrommelbs (11) A literal goddamn classic. I'd put this over What's Luv. Mesmerise is still my fave, but I can't fault this.

@RUNAWAY (11) an undeniable classic.

@berserkboi (11) A classic, an absolute classic and after how you all did Ashanti wrong – she is getting my 11 again!

Legends only:

londonrain

Staff member
My average score for this Top 3 is 6.5 - and I am pulling for a Keri win! Something I never saw coming! Lol

I am the new Shoebox and I also feel like @Sprockrooster when Laissez Moi Danser made the Top 3 of my Dalida Rate last year lol
My average score for the top three is... 9.

Poor Got Me Good. The frenetic pace actually works and it goes so hard right from the beginning. Legends only.

Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti)
@elektroxx, @soratami, @berserkboi, @KingBruno, @lalaclairi_, @RUNAWAY, @godspeed & @Aester
11 @livefrommelbs @RUNAWAY @berserkboi
| 10 @elektroxx @Sprockrooster me @Tchelitchew @ssa @godspeed @Holly Something @Music Is Life | 9.5 @Robsolete
5 @Empty Shoebox | 6 @Phonetics Boy @Verandi

Always On Time was released on October 2001 as the second single from Ja Rule's third album Pain Is Love. It was the first song Ashanti appeared in and, fun fact: it was originally going to feature Brandy instead.

Literally a classic (as several of you mention in the commentary), I thought Always On Time would be a real contender for the Part 2 win. And I suppose it was, since it was just 0.12 away from #1, but it still missed the top 3. Always On Time is one of the three songs in the rate to have received the most 11s, along with Love Sex Magic and Promise, and it was also the most picked song for Part 2, with eight people going for it

Commentary:

@Verandi (6) Is there a noise worse than Ja Rule's voice? Probably not. Still the chorus is cute. I prefer Helpless tho.

@Butterfly (7.25) I had no idea Raye’s Decline had a sample, this is really nice. If it were Ashanti feat. Ja Rule I’d have scored it far higher. (well, I guess it's off to the retirement home for most of us)

@Maki (7.25) This is like Amerie's "Paradise" - a rap song with a really nice hook.

@Rei Ayanami (8) Sounds every bit of 2002, but it's still cool. As overplayed as this song was, I never got sick of it. 50 Cent had higher highs, Ja Rule had more highs overall. Fight me.

@londonrain (9) Still the career-defining Ashanti collab. Ja’s lyrics, though...

@Untouchable Ace (9.3) This was everywhere. Good for her.

@elektroxx (10) That was a classic, that was a classic, etc.

@Sprockrooster (10) The sheer nostalgia alone makes this a 10. But looking at the song itself it is pretty timeless isn't it.

@godspeed (10) Remember when I said this would get my 11? It totally deserves it, this aged amazingly and the dose of nostalgia I get anytime I hear those guitar strings and Ashanti's sweet vocals is unmatched by any song. It's my 11, but I can't unfortunately give this score twice.

@Holly Something (10) A classic tbh.

@livefrommelbs (11) A literal goddamn classic. I'd put this over What's Luv. Mesmerise is still my fave, but I can't fault this.

@RUNAWAY (11) an undeniable classic.

@berserkboi (11) A classic, an absolute classic and after how you all did Ashanti wrong – she is getting my 11 again!

Legends only:

Why!!!

I don't even know 2/3rds of the Top 3, and the other is by someone who's not even in the rate.

Whatever U Want (feat. Joe Budden)
@ssa, @Bslg17, @Sprockrooster, @godspeed, @Aester, @Empty Shoebox& @Remorque
11 @Hurricane Drunk @ssa
| 10 @elektroxx @Sprockrooster @Rei Ayanami @livefrommelbs @Bslg17 @Robsolete @godspeed @Music Is Life | 9.5 @Aester @vague
5 @berserkboi | 6 @RUNAWAY @Holly Something
My score: 9

Whatever U Want was released in September 2004 as the second single from Christina Milian's sophomore album It's About Time.

I definitely didn't expect this one to do so well, probably due to not really being familiar with it, but in retrospect I really should have included this in Part 1 in place of one of Christina's more recent songs. Whatever U Want received both the least 10s and the most 11s in the top 3, and seven people picked it for Part 2, making it the second most popular song, after Always On Time.

Commentary:

@berserkboi (5) That Joe Budden person really knows how to ruin a good thing!

@Holly Something (6) Not a big fan of this, she had much better songs on that album.

@londonrain (8) I forgot how good this is. How did it flop?!

@Verandi (9) Probably the biggest discovery of the rate. I like it more than Dip It Low! Maybe it's her best song as the lead artist? Whew knows.

@Sprockrooster (10) The horns in this track really lift the track. Also I love the interaction between Christina and Joe on this.

@Rei Ayanami (10) Absolutely love this. I have no idea why this wasn't a hit. Dip It Low was all right, but this song was The One for me.

@livefrommelbs (10) Flawless bop is flawless. So glad this part of the rate exists so I can score it accordingly!

@godspeed (10) THE song by Christina Milian. Top 10 material.

@ssa (11) Absolutely incredible video. Coming right after Dip It Low I was ready for more Christina and I was not disappointed. I remember the 3 Saturdays this was on some Top 10 R&B list on MTV Italy. The only chance I had to see the video before it would eventually crash out of the top 10 – Internet still isn’t a thing where I grew up so imagine how it looked in 2004. I left dinner on the table to go catch the video. Managed to record it on a VHS tape. Number 3 that week. My dog jumped on the table and ate my pizza while I was busy doing that. Worth it.

Legends only:

Last edited:
Top 5 trajectory

5 voters:
#1 Oh (feat. Ludacris) (9.8)
#2 Millionaire (feat. Andre 3000) (9.45)
#3 Whatever U Want (feat. Joe Budden) (9.4)
#4 Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti) (9)
#4 All The Boys (9)

10 voters:
#1 Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti) (9.6)
#2 Oh (feat. Ludacris) (9.3)
#3 Promise (9.1)
#4 ??? #1 (9.05)
#5 Millionaire (feat. Andre 3000) (8.825)

15 voters:
#1 Oh (feat. Ludacris) (9.033)
#2 Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti) (8.967)
#3 Promise (8.733)
#4 Got Me Good (8.667)
#4 The Way That I Love You (8.667)

20 voters:
#1 ??? #2 (8.85)
#2 ??? #1 (8.7)
#3 Whatever U Want (feat. Joe Budden) (8.7)
#4 Oh (feat. Ludacris) (8.675)
#5 Got Me Good (8.625)

25 voters:
#1 ??? #1 (8.83)
#2 Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti) (8.702)
#3 ??? #2 (8.7)
#4 Whatever U Want (feat. Joe Budden) (8.68)
#5 Got Me Good (8.556)

All voters:
#1 ??? #1 (8.815)
#2 ??? #2 (8.722)
#3 Whatever U Want (feat. Joe Budden) (8.713)
#4 Always On Time (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti) (8.696)
#5 Got Me Good (8.598)

Top 2: 7 PM GMT