R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

he / him
Not usually a fan of Tory Lanez, even though he drops a jam every now and then, but I've listened to a few songs from this mixtape and I really need to check it out. Everything I have heard so far sounds heavily early-2000s-R&B-influenced. There are features from Mya, Jagged Edge, Lil Wayne, Lloyd, Snoop Dogg, The-Dream, Ludacris, Jermaine Dupri and T-Pain so it should be at least interesting.
A lot of the features are on songs that sample the artists featured as well, which was really interesting.

When-I-Need-a-Man.jpg

When I Need a Man
Tweet 5/9

10 @vague @Music Is Life | 9.9 @berserkboi
3.5 @CasuallyCrazed | 5 @Empty Shoebox | 5.5 @Hurricane Drunk @slaybellz
My score: 7

Trajectory:
5: #65 (6.6)
10: #65 (7.29)
15: #60 (7.136)
20: #61 (6.87)
25: #57 (6.876)
30: #57 (7.047)
35: #58 (7.106)
All: #57 (7.108)

When I Need a Man was released in 2005 as the theme song for USA Network original series Kojak, starring Ving Rhames, a short-lived remake of a popular 70s crime drama. I have to admit I'd literally never heard of this show before (it probably never made much of an impact here), so if anyone else has anything to add, go ahead. The song was also included in Tweet's sophomore album It's Me Again as a hidden track at the end of the final song We Don't Need No Water, and in retrospect maybe we should have rated that instead because it's a huge banger. It was written by Steve Plunkett and Spencer Proffer, and produced by the two and Mona Scott.

The three songs in the rate that were recorded for soundtracks being eliminated in a row, what are the odds? If it weren't for @CasuallyCrazed's 3.5, When I Need a Man wouldn't have any negative scores, which is pretty impressive, as only twelve songs in the rate have that, and it's something we won't see until we hit #38. When I Need a Man is pleasant enough, but not very exciting and doesn't really stand out (and fittingly received very little commentary). Honestly it being one of Tweet's top 5 songs here is kind of a mess. Thugman, Magic and Turn da Lights Off are definitely better, though admitedly all four songs have very similar averages, with a difference of only less than 0.3 separating Turn da Lights Off (#64) and When I Need a Man (#57). Of course, it goes without saying Tweet shouldn't be losing all these songs this early either.

Don't Need a Man:
@Rei Ayanami (6) Feels kinda throwaway.

@godspeed (6.5) "I like a nice flute mixed with a hip hop beat. The pop chorus was a surprising direction I wasn't expecting this song to take. A good production, but this doesn't do much for me unfortunately."

@livefrommelbs (7) Those vocal runs at the end! Good stuff.

@Untouchable Ace (7.8) See with Tweet I can compare her with Ciara because they both have debut singles I don't like. However in Tweet's case she lacks star quality and vocals (at least an enjoyable vocal tone). This is the best she ever did.

@berserkboi (9.9) Banger!!

@Music Is Life (10) Oof love that production, what a bop! And when it drops out in the verses and it’s her voice, those are moments. THAT CHORUS! Perfection. Amazing. Love the kinda handclaps but not really in the song, and the middle-eastern vibe of the song.

The video, which features scenes from the TV show:

Of course:

If anyone wants a kii, the lyrics for this one on Genius are a total mess.

Highlights:

When i need sumthin', sumthin' strong, i can't hold on to

and when it's sentiments i need, u take me where i wanna be

oooohhh...yeah, hoot-hoot! hoot-hoot!

Ur like a hero when someome, can use a hand, come to the rescue of the week

When-I-Need-a-Man.jpg

When I Need a Man
Tweet 5/9

10 @vague @Music Is Life | 9.9 @berserkboi
3.5 @CasuallyCrazed | 5 @Empty Shoebox | 5.5 @Hurricane Drunk @slaybellz
My score: 7

Trajectory:
5: #65 (6.6)
10: #65 (7.29)
15: #60 (7.136)
20: #61 (6.87)
25: #57 (6.876)
30: #57 (7.047)
35: #58 (7.106)
All: #57 (7.108)

When I Need a Man was released in 2005 as the theme song for USA Network original series Kojak, starring Ving Rhames, a short-lived remake of a popular 70s crime drama. I have to admit I'd literally never heard of this show before (it probably never made much of an impact here), so if anyone else has anything to add, go ahead. The song was also included in Tweet's sophomore album It's Me Again as a hidden track at the end of the final song We Don't Need No Water, and in retrospect maybe we should have rated that instead because it's a huge banger. It was written by Steve Plunkett and Spencer Proffer, and produced by the two and Mona Scott.

The three songs in the rate that were recorded for soundtracks being eliminated in a row, what are the odds? If it weren't for @CasuallyCrazed's 3.5, When I Need a Man wouldn't have any negative scores, which is pretty impressive, as only twelve songs in the rate have that, and it's something we won't see until we hit #38. When I Need a Man is pleasant enough, but not very exciting and doesn't really stand out (and fittingly received very little commentary). Honestly it being one of Tweet's top 5 songs here is kind of a mess. Thugman, Magic and Turn da Lights Off are definitely better, though admitedly all four songs have very similar averages, with a difference of only less than 0.3 separating Turn da Lights Off (#64) and When I Need a Man (#57). Of course, it goes without saying Tweet shouldn't be losing all these songs this early either.

Don't Need a Man:
@Rei Ayanami (6) Feels kinda throwaway.

@godspeed (6.5) "I like a nice flute mixed with a hip hop beat. The pop chorus was a surprising direction I wasn't expecting this song to take. A good production, but this doesn't do much for me unfortunately."

@livefrommelbs (7) Those vocal runs at the end! Good stuff.

@Untouchable Ace (7.8) See with Tweet I can compare her with Ciara because they both have debut singles I don't like. However in Tweet's case she lacks star quality and vocals (at least an enjoyable vocal tone). This is the best she ever did.

@berserkboi (9.9) Banger!!

@Music Is Life (10) Oof love that production, what a bop! And when it drops out in the verses and it’s her voice, those are moments. THAT CHORUS! Perfection. Amazing. Love the kinda handclaps but not really in the song, and the middle-eastern vibe of the song.

The video, which features scenes from the TV show:

Of course:

Ddddd after tonight I really don't need a man.

londonrain

Staff member
Cascada coming on shuffle only proves that you like quality bops.

Also, Tweet's voice is gorgeous. She's not my favourite in the rate (although I love her) but she's the best singer here.
Agreed. I can absolutely see it if people complain that she’s not boppy enough (she isn’t, and her overall discography has probably more in common with the big-voiced neo-soul singers than any of the other ladies here) but she is easily the best singer of the lot, in terms of tone and technical ability. I wish her material was more consistent, though.