R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

He/Him
I'd almost completed the next elimination yesterday night but it seems to have vanished

natalia-kills-gif-10.gif
The universe telling you not to send my 11 away?

(Did you have it saved on the forum or somewhere else?)

Why-Don-039-t-We-Fall-In-Love.jpg

Why Don't We Fall in Love
Amerie 6/9
11 @Rei Ayanami
| 10 me @RUNAWAY | 9.25 @Music Is Life
0 @CasuallyCrazed | 5 @KingBruno | 6 @ssa @Bslg17 @GimmeWork @Hurricane Drunk @Riiiiiiiii @Empty Shoebox @Verandi @abael

Trajectory:
5: #34 (7.8)
10: #54 (7.82)
15: #54 (7.443)
20: #55 (7.11)
25: #50 (7.088
30: #52 (7.232)
35: #51 (7.273)
All: #51 (7.305)

Why Don't We Fall in Love was released in April 2002 was Amerie's lead single, making it the first lead single to fall in the rate. It was written and produced by Rich Harrison, who also worked on most of Amerie's first two albums, and charted at #23 in the US (it was Amerie's second biggest there, after 1 Touch), #40 in the UK and #73 in Australia. Amerie's successful debut album album All I Have followed three months later and spawned one more single, Talkin' to Me, which was a minor hit. Amerie had this to say on the song's 15th anniversary: "When I was recording the song, it felt — whenever I’m singing or creating music, I see little images or colors. So to me that song is dark red and black. It’s interesting that it’s become the summer anthem because it was so dark to me at the time. But then later I could see why it felt so summery. It was very aggressive. There are darker elements [in the song], which is like summer. It's like a blue sky and thunderstorm mash-up — something".

I love that Why Don't We Fall in Love shows a more mellow, romantic and relaxed side of Amerie, something that not really present in most of her other singles. Obviously, this falling at #51 is a disgrace, and @CasuallyCrazed especially should be ashamed of himself for that 0. Though, even if @CasuallyCrazed hadn't voted, this would have only been bumped four spots, to #47. Getting only a single negative score is quite impressive at this point in the game, but clearly a lot of you thought it was just good, hence the average placement.

Just friends:
@Verandi (6) Never gotten into this one (or the debut album for that matter). Cute, but I prefer the remix on the Touch album.

@Remorque (6.5) A great slice of summery R&B, but it still fails to make a lasting impression on me. The whole thing just sounds clunky as fuck and I'm still left unimpressed and questioning why this was a hit back when.

@livefrommelbs (7) Amerie's always had an underrated voice, and this really shows that off. Not a standout fave, but a cute girl!

@londonrain (7) This album really had me thinking she was going to be a very different artist from what she turned out to be.

@berserkboi (7.2) I enjoy the flourishes in the instrumental but this is not a strong point for Amerie

Summer romance:
@lalaclairi_ (9) Perfect to listen to in the summer.

@Music Is Life (9.25) I really like her voice over the production on this. It’s a really great mix.

@godspeed (9.5) "When this song starts and those horns kick in... it gets me all the time! "Why Don't We Fall In Love" is a glorious R&B song. Whenever I re-listen to it and pay attention to the production, it always surprises how simple this song actually is. But that's probably what makes it so great: it's straight-forward, it doesn't try to do too much, it's sweet and it's so beautifully sung and produced.

@RUNAWAY (10) that was a classic. What a debut. She and Ashanti definitely have the best debut singles out there, both are still perfection to this day.

@Rei Ayanami (11) Wow, the stan jumped out. My favorite song of all time. Every time I hear it, I’m sent back to the summer before I started high school.

The video:

Taking it one step further:

Top 50

Amerie
5/9

1 Thing
Touch
Talkin' About
Take Control
Gotta Work
Why R U
Heard 'Em All
Curious

Ashanti
6/9

Foolish
Happy
What's Luv? (Fat Joe feat. Ja-Rule & Ashanti)
Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)
Only U
Good Good
I Got It (feat. Rick Ross)
Early In The Morning (feat. French Montana)

Say Less (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

Cassie
5/9

Me & U
Long Way 2 Go
Is It You
Official Girl (feat. Lil Wayne)
King Of Hearts
Paradise (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
Love a Loser (feat. G-Eazy)
Don't Play It Safe

Don't Let Go

Christina Milian
5/9

AM To PM
When You Look At Me
Dip It Low
Say I (feat. Jeezy)
I Gotta Get To You
Us Against The World
Rebel
We Ain't Worried
Liar

Ciara
9/9

Goodies (feat. Petey Pablo)
1, 2 Step (feat. Missy Elliott)
Like A Boy
Work (feat. Missy Elliott)
Ride (feat. Ludacris)
I'm Out (feat. Nicki Minaj)
Overdose
Dance Like We're Making Love
Level Up

Kelis
9/9

Caught Out There
Good Stuff
Young, Fresh 'N' New
Milkshake
Trick Me
Bossy (feat. Too $hort)
Blindfold Me (feat. Nas)
4th Of July (Fireworks)
Jerk Ribs

Keri Hilson
8/9

The Way I Are (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.)
Return The Favor (feat. Timbaland)
Turnin Me On (feat. Lil Wayne)
Knock You Down (feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo)
Scream (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & Nicole Scherzinger)
Million Dollar Girl (Trina feat. Diddy & Keri Hilson)
I Like
Pretty Girl Rock
Lose Control

Tweet
3/9

Oops (Oh My) (feat. Missy Elliott)
Call Me
Boogie 2Nite
Thugman (feat. Missy Elliott)
No Panties (Trina feat. Tweet)

Turn da Lights Off (feat. Missy Elliott)
When I Need a Man
International Affair (Mark Ronson feat. Sean Paul & Tweet)
Magic

Ashanti
Foolish
What's Luv? (Fat Joe feat. Ja-Rule & Ashanti)
Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)

Cassie
Long Way 2 Go
King Of Hearts
Paradise (feat. Wiz Khalifa)

Christina Milian
Us Against The World

Kelis
Bossy (feat. Too $hort)

Keri Hilson
Knock You Down (feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo)
Scream (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & Nicole Scherzinger)
The next 10 tracks I hope will vacate. No I'm not sorry for Foolish.

he / him
Should still be in the rate: Christina Milian — "Liar."
Should have been eliminated already: Trina feat. Diddy & Keri Hilson — "Million Dollar Girl."
Is probably going next: Either Amerie — "Heard Em All" or Christina Milian — "Us Against The World."
Amerie 6/9

0 @CasuallyCrazed
Surely a score as low as 0 should come with some commentary.

Last edited: