R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Voter picks: Cassie (part 4)

Simple Things (@Empty Shoebox)

All My Love (@slaybellz)
"RockaByeBaby" but if someone's already picked it, please do "All My Love" instead.

Kiss Me (@Holly Something)

Fly With U (Far East Movement feat. Cassie) (@Untouchable Ace)

Bonus:

That's so @londonrain
Cassie
source.gif

(Let's be honest: her best song is Me & U, which is already here, and I am not inspired to do a deep dive through her limited discography after her material in this rate.)

after every artist, I inserted a picture/gif about my feelings listening to their song selections.

Cassie
stan-merriam-webster-new-words.jpg

he / him
Don't Leave Me Alone (feat. 7 Aurelius) (@Sprockrooster)
The vast amount of bops I could pick from. I also highly adore Wonderful and her added verse for her Concrete Rose album, but the whole R. Kelly thing in that feature - let me stay away. 7 Aurelius is a much safer pick there. His vocals are actually good for a male R&B artist.

I still can't believe that issues between Murder Inc and Def Jam prevented this classic from being a single.

he / him
I didn't know about that. I just read there was nearly a 6 month gap between Only U and the second single from the album too, a mess.
Around the time of the release of Concrete Rose, Irv Gotti was facing charges of money laundering, which led to Def Jam cutting ties with Murder Inc. and lack of financing for the rest of the album's campaign. These label issues led to a delay in the release of the second single and as Ashanti had to finance the music video herself, she opted to release "Don't Let Them" instead of "Don't Leave Me Alone."

Around the time of the release of Concrete Rose, Irv Gotti was facing charges of money laundering, which led to Def Jam cutting ties with Murder Inc. and lack of financing for the rest of the album's campaign. These label issues led to a delay in the release of the second single and as Ashanti had to finance the music video herself, she opted to release "Don't Let Them" instead of "Don't Leave Me Alone."

And that pretty much put an end to Ashanti's chart-topping days. Sad.

londonrain

Staff member
Sis, you’re really going to include my Cassie commentary but omit my Amerie commentary for Losing U?

Amerie
My pick for Amerie is Losing U. Ms. Rogers really went out and took the riff from iconic 1992 track Didi by Khaled and seamlessly wove it into an R&B bop. (Compare this with, say, the absolute fucking hash Ciara made of the Kehna Hi Kya sample on Turntables.)

Sis, you’re really going to include my Cassie commentary but omit my Amerie commentary for Losing U?

What happened was I thought I'd already included yours in the first "voter picks" post I made a while back, and when I noticed I hadn't and went back to add it to this one, I forgot to check if there was any commentary. Added it now though.

I think they said the songs that got multiple shoutouts are coming later? I'm assuming this one got multiple shoutouts.

That's exactly it. We'll get to the songs picked my more than one person later.

Voter picks: Christina Milian (part 2)

Get Loose (@vague)

Gonna Tell Everybody (@londonrain)
My pick is a song that is not a bop by any measure - Gonna Tell Everybody (which was supposed to be the single after Say I).

(It's slightly odd that Christina's biggest hit in Australia by a long shot is her feature on the Stafford Brothers' generic EDM banger Hello, which is good but not especially distinctive.)

I Can Be That Woman (@CasuallyCrazed)

Bonus:
after every artist, I inserted a picture/gif about my feelings listening to their song selections.

Christina Milian
tenor.gif