R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Every time @elektroxx comes for Million Dollar Girl, Keri pushes back her third album release by another six months.

giphy.gif

@livefrommelbs (7.5) This song sounds tailormade for an uplifting 'against all odds' kinda movie. And lo and behold, a quick Wikipedia search tells me at played at the end of Channing Tatum's 2009 film 'Fighting'. Kween of hustle!

@slaybellz (7.5) Was this in a movie? Sounds like it would be perfect for a mid 2000s movie soundtrack. (Look above)
That's so funny. Although I was picturing it as an intro credit song rather than an end credit song.

It's been a long time since I've listened to "Play." There really is a lot of Christina there! It doesn't feel unnatural at all to be rating it as her song.

Yeah, I didn't expect Christina to end up with the most songs in the second part of the rate, but they're all great.

Yeah. I honestly feel like I can't 10 it. And perhaps might even go lower than a 9. It is just so out of tune. A bit is also can be said about that heavy dance tracks.

Well, there wasn't really any sort of criteria when it came to the extra songs, so I don't really see some of them not actually being R&B as a negative. If anything, the variaty in part 2 helps show these eight artists' versatility.

Yeah, I didn't expect Christina to end up with the most songs in the second part of the rate, but they're all great.

Well, there wasn't really any sort of criteria when it came to the extra songs, so I don't really see some of them not actually being R&B as a negative. If anything, the variaty in part 2 helps show these eight artists' versatility.
Yeah. I understand and am not opposed to it's inclusion as Christina is featured. But suddenly an a-list artist is part of the game. And also one of the best songs. It is not fair for niche cuts from acts which are basically b-list or c-list. There is literally no fighting chance for anyone.

Yeah. I understand and am not opposed to it's inclusion as Christina is featured. But suddenly an a-list artist is part of the game. And also one of the best songs. It is not fair for niche cuts from acts which are basically b-list or c-list. There is literally no fighting chance for anyone.

Well, I wouldn't really say Play is on a different league compared to, say, Always On Time or Oh. But of course everyone can rate songs however they want.

Take-Control.jpg

Take Control
Amerie 3/9

10 @berserkboi @GimmeWork @Verandi @Music Is Life @Conan | 9.5 @Robsolete
1 @CasuallyCrazed | 6 @ssa @KingBruno @Phonetics Boy @Daniel_O
My score: 8

Trajectory:
5: #31 (8)
10: #44 (8.125)
15: #36 (7.946)
20: #43 (7.713)
25: #36 (7.75)
30: #36 (7.842)
35: #39 (7.904)
All: #37 (7.889)
My score: 8

Take Control was released in October 2006 as the lead (and only, in the US) single from Amerie's third album Because I Love It. It was written and produced by Amerie, Cee-Lo Green and Mike Caren. Take Control samples two songs: Jimmy, Renda-se, released in 1970 by Brazilian musician Tom Zé, and Hall and Oates' 1980 hit You Make My Dreams. Take Control charted at #66 in the US R&B charts, and did better in Europe where it peaked at #10 in the UK and in the top 20 in several other countries. According to Amerie, her label didn't properly promote the single or support the album, which led the album to not even get a proper US release and Amerie getting dropped. At least it did decently in Europe.

Take Control is a great bop, and I definitely feel like I underscored it, but even if I had given it a higher score, the only difference it would have made would be bumping it by one spot. If it weren't for @CasuallyCrazed's score, it wouldn't have received any scores below 6, which is quite impressive.

In Control:
@Remorque (6.5) I'm not going to lie, I'm still not really impressed by this one. It's nice and all and she gives us an okay performance, but... there's most definitely something missing for me. And what the actual fuck is Jerrica's deal in that video? Whoever did the choreography should have not either.

@Rei Ayanami (7) I appreciate this song for doing its own thing.

@londonrain (7) Not quite on the level she needed for a lead single, but still very underrated.

She Loves Control:
@godspeed (8) "I really like Because I Love It and, along with her debut album, it must be my favorite project by Amerie. It showed her versatility and was a very well-produced R&B album that unfairly went unnoticed, mainly because her label screwed up big time. But to me, Because I Love It is an album that really suffered from its single choices. "Take Control" is a good song and a logical choice as a single, but not a great one in my opinion. It does however manage to mix the "1 Thing" sound they thought was the only way for Amerie to smash with something fresh, something that was closer to what you could hear on the radio in 2007, so it was a nice little evolution for Amerie. I don't get the storyline of the music video at all though."

@Holly Something (8) I like the Cee-Lo backing vocals.

@slaybellz (8) Her and Beyonce made very similar music around this time.

@livefrommelbs (9) The intro to this is literally perfect. Probably my favourite Amerie track of the bunch.

@berserkboi (10) Not too far off the 1 Thing sound but that funky Electric Guitar (?) really lifts it! WOW!

@GimmeWork (10) Hands down her best song. Still feels as fresh today as the day it came out.

@Verandi (10) Incredible. My buttcheeks clap to the sound of that guitar.

@Music Is Life (10) Ooo that guitar! Such great production. What a bop. Love the rhythm and the melody.

The video:

Legends only:

londonrain

Staff member
Right! You bastards took out all my Amerie 10s in a row! The mess!!
You mean you DIDN’T give 10s to Touch and 1 Thing?!

I still can't believe that we're in the Top 40 and Ciara has still yet to lose a single song.
I can. I totally called it.

Ciara is so going to walk this, isn't she? The breadth of her discography means that her tracks here are all pretty solid, as opposed to some of the girls who have had to really pad out their sections...