R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

Sorry for the delay y'all. I had to make some preparations for the PJSC reveals tomorrow later today, and I also have to prepare for a trip Monday, so I didn't really get the chance to post another elimination yet. I'll try to do at least one during the weekend though. The fact that the next elimination is an absolute disgrace doesn't really help matters either.

He/Him
Sorry for the delay y'all. I had to make some preparations for the PJSC reveals tomorrow, and I also have to prepare for a trip Monday, so I didn't really get the chance to post another elimination yet. I'll try to do at least one during the weekend though. The fact that the next elimination is an absolute disgrace doesn't really help matters either.
Poor Ashanti!!!

There's been some really bad weather where I live and I haven't had electrical power or internet for the last 8-9 hours (wasn't even able to do PJSC in the end), and right now it's still off and on, so unfortunately being able to do any eliminations this weekend isn't really realistic after all.

Me right now:

Alright, here we go...

58500ff6a6edf5f77b17ddabc4e61202.gif

Foolish.jpg

Foolish
Ashanti 2/9
11 @berserkboi
| 10 @elektroxx @Tchelitchew me @vague @lalaclairi_ @Robsolete @RUNAWAY @godspeed @jamesjupiter @slaybellz @Remorque | @livefrommelbs @Holly Something
1 @GimmeWork | 1.75 @CasuallyCrazed | 4 @Empty Shoebox @Verandi

Trajectory:
5: #22 (8.3)
10: #22 (8.75)
15: #39 (7.893)
20: #40 (7.813)
25: #44 (7.55)
30: #41 (7.692)
35: #35 (7.953)
All: #35 (7.949)

Foolish was released in January 2002 as Ashanti's solo debut single (released three months after her first musical appearance, in Ja Rule's Always On Time). It was written by Ashanti, 7 Aurelius and Irv Gotti, and produced by the latter two, and it sample 80s R&B group DeBarge's Stay With Me and The Notorious B.I.G.'s 1995 hit One More Chance/Stay With Me remix. Notorious B.I.G. is also posthumously featured in an alternate version of the song, Unfoolish. Foolish is probably the biggest hit in the rate, having spent ten weeks(!) at #1 in the US and also charting at #4 in the UK, #6 in Australia and top 10/20 in several other countries. It was the second biggest song of 2002 in the US (after How You Remind Me by N*ck*lb*ck), and it kept What's Luv from hitting #1, making Ashanti the first female artist to hold the top 2 spots of the Hot 100 chart at once. Not everyone has that.

Now what can I say about this mess of a result? Foolish is an absolute classic in every sense of the word, and it deservedly received the most 10s out of any of the songs outside the top 30. It obviously deserved a lot better than #35. Without @GimmeWork and @CasuallyCrazed's disgusting scores it would have landed at #24, which to be honest would still have been too low, but at least it'd be a bit more acceptable.

Utter Foolishness:
@GimmeWork (1) From the production to the vocals this song has always been a snoozefest for me.

@Verandi (4) I… never understood the success this got. It's an album track for me, absolutely nothing special and it goes on forever.

Slightly Foolish:
@Rei Ayanami (6) I can appreciate what this song was for Ashanti, but I can never listen to this without immediately wanting to switch to BIG’s One More Chance remix. It’s catchy, but doesn’t leave much of an impression on me today.

Unfoolish:
@londonrain (8) Remember when Ashanti was #1 and #2 on the Hot 100 with this and What’s Luv? Iconic.

@Sprockrooster (9) A bit played too much, but damn that nostalgia alone makes it thrive nonetheless

@Music Is Life (9) Love the production. And her vocals. And the melody. SO I love this. I need to talk about whatever that sound in the production is – is that a maraca? It kinda sounds like a maraca. I love that. And the sound of the song kinda feels very rainforesty, like that’s what I picture with her walking around and singing. Amazing.

@Untouchable Ace (9.1) This meant so much to everyone. It was all over the radio. Good for her.

@livefrommelbs (9.5) A stone-cold classic. This takes me back to like early, early high school. Such a tune.

@Holly Something (9.5) Obviously a classic but I don't love it as much as some others.

@lalaclairi_ (10) A timeless classic. "Unfoolish" is equally iconic.

@RUNAWAY (10) I can’t believe how much I still love this song. It’s such a classic, and literally never gets old. It’s still so fresh to this day.

@godspeed (10) ""See, my days are cold without you/But I'm hurting while I'm with you." I don't think a lot of opening lines can make me smile and fill me up with such a warm sentiment of joy and nostalgia the way the ones of "Foolish" manage to. It's not even uplifting or anything, those are quite depressing when you think about it, but there's just something SO sweet about this song that I could not really put into words. This is one of my favorite R&B songs of all time - and one of my favorite songs of all time, period - and it was my initial and immediate choice as a 11. (eventually another song got it, but "Foolish" deserves it just as much)"

@slaybellz (10) Just a timeless classic that I still listen to on a regular basis.

@Remorque (10) I remember being so fucking impressed with this debut single. This is how you effectively build a song around a sample without it being all too obvious. Her fantastic performance ultimately elevates this song to a fucking 10.

@berserkboi (11) Unless something else takes over this one is the one! After the listen through, this will probably need my 11 more than Ciara or Kelis so here it is!

The video:

Legends only:

Last edited: