R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

31144_800.gif

Well, The Way I Are is 2:59 and Return The Favor is 5:29 so he did have a point about it being bigger ddd

Last edited:

Jerk-Ribs.jpg

Jerk Ribs
Kelis 6/9

10 @ssa @vague @Music Is Life @Cutlery | 9.7 @berserkboi
3 @londonrain | 7 @Tchelitchew me @Bslg17 @tylerc904 @Empty Shoebox @Aester @slaybellz

Trajectory:
5: #25 (8.2)
10: #36 (8.27)
15: #42 (7.871)
20: #33 (7.935)
25: #32 (7.888)
30: #29 (8.007)
35: #30 (8.017)
All: #30 (8.049)

Jerk Ribs was released on Valentine's Day 2014 as the lead single from Kelis's sixth and most recent album Food. It was written by Kelis, Todd Simon and David Andrew Sitek, who also produced it, and it was originally called Call On Me, which makes sense considering that's how the chorus goes, but its title was changed to match the album's food theme. It didn't chart anywhere, which isn't surprising given it was an indie release that doesn't exactly scream hit either.

Jerk Ribs isn't a bad song at all, it's very soulful and pleasant, but it was really, really outstaying its welcome at this point, especially when you look at the other songs left. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad it's finally out. It wasn't a lot of people's favourite, as shown by the lack of 10s (the least out of all the the songs in the top 30) and commentary, but it's high placement is explained by the fact that aside from @londonrain, everyone scored it 7 or higher. With 7s being counted in the lowest scores, it's the only song in the whole rate to have me as a low scorer, poor it.

Omnivorous:
@livefrommelbs (7.5) Soul food indeed! This has such a laidback, sultry kind of vibe to it. Love the horns.

Carnivorous:
@godspeed (8) "I feel like Food is a criminally underrated album and I understand why it doesn't get as much love as her previous ones but I think it's one of her best. This traditional and soulful R&B suits Kelis so well, it was a bold but brilliant move from her coming off of Flesh Tone and her collaboration with Dave Sitek really delivered pure understated magic. "Jerk Ribs" is great and yet, it's still not one of the best songs on Food: "Runnin'," "Rumble," "Forever Be," "Bless The Telephone" and "Dreamer" are all gems. A brilliant record I cannot recommend enough!"

@Rei Ayanami (9) My favorite songs on Food always shuffle between this, Cobbler and Forever Be. It’s just so catchy. I nearly fainted when she sang this at Afropunk. I had no idea she actually sang that high note towards the end of the song. I’ve always been a fan because she had a quirky voice and cool songs, but I never expected her to show so much range as a singer. I love it when my favs surprise me.

@Verandi (9) The class. The elegance. Slay mama.

@berserkboi (9.7) Awesome stuff too!

@Music Is Life (10) Love the drums in the production and the melody on this.

The video:

Legends only:

Last edited:

Bossy.jpg

Bossy (feat. Too $hort)
Kelis 5/9
11 @Aester
| 10 me @berserkboi @vague @GimmeWork @lalaclairi_ @Sprockrooster @Riiiiiiiii @abael @Cutlery | 9.5 @Daniel_O @Music Is Life @Fuchsia @Conan @slaybellz
0.25 @CasuallyCrazed | 3 @Rei Ayanami @Empty Shoebox

Trajectory:
5: #48 (7.4)
10: #32 (8.35)
15: #35 (7.964)
20: #38 (7.863)
25: #38 (7.69)
30: #28 (8.025)
35: #31 (8.016)
All: #29 (8.05)

Bossy was originally released in January 2006 in the US but only went on to peak in August and be released in Europe in September (how bizarre). It served as the lead single from Kelis's fourth album Kelis Was Here. Bossy was written by Kelis, Sean Garrett, Kelis, Too $hort, Birdman and Bangladesh, who also produced it, and it interpolates Diamonds on My Neck, a 2005 song by rapper Smitty. Bossy features self-referential lyrics, referencing Kelis's previous hits Caught Out There and Milkshake in the chorus. It was one of the biggest hits of Kelis's career, peaking at #16 and being certified double Platinum in the US and charting in the top 20 or just barely outside it in most European countries.

Bossy is easily my favourite Kelis song. I love everything about it - the icy production, the iconic lyrics, featuring one of the best intros in the history of recorded music, Kelis's on point and full of personality delivery, the video... it's basically perfect. It's a shame it didn't do better. Despite all the high scores it got (the third most 10s so far) it also received a fair share of low/mediocre ones. I guess even 14 years after it came out, it continues to be too ahead of its time for certain people.

Bossed:
@Rei Ayanami (3) My least favorite Kelis song.

@Untouchable Ace (3.8) No, no, no, no, no ,no ,no (Keisha voice)

@londonrain (5) Nicki’s rap in Side To Side found rotting.

@Verandi (5) I've tried for years to like this but maybe it's really trash after all. The only good parts are the intro and "diamonds on my neck"

Bossy:
@livefrommelbs (7) I don't have to love it. I don't even have to like it. But I DO respect it. You know why? Cos it's a BAWP.

@RUNAWAY (8.5) love the callbacks to her precious songs, but this has never been one of my fav Kelis songs.

@godspeed (8.5) "The music video for this banger is absolutely insane, one of Kelis' best. The song in itself is also great and kind of hilarious. Kelis sure is a boss, it's undeniable."

@Music Is Life (9.5) What a bop. Love the production, and the confidence in her vocals really adds to the vibe of the song. The callback to Milkshake is great too.

@slaybellz (9.5) My and my friends sitting in class doing that dance, the day after the video came out. Iconic. Also why does no one ever talk about how almost identical the beat is to Grillz?

@berserkboi (10) Kelis is unrelentingly awesome back in this time frame!

@Sprockrooster (10) That beat and those sassy lyrics make it a track that makes me crave for more like this.

The video:

Legends only:

Last edited:
(This pretty much does all that Right Thurr was supposed to do in the beat but much better!)
Excuse you... Right Thurr is a certified bop!

On another note. I just came in here from the Summer Walker thread after watching her new video that had a split second cameo from Jermaine Dupri dancing like a fool beside Usher. And then I watched the Grillz video after re-reading my comment on how it has the same beat as Bossy, which also features Jermaine Dupri dancing like a fool. And now i've just watched the Right Thurr video because of your comment which ALSO features Jermaine Dupri dancing like an idiot. Omg???

If you are discovering Chingy in general for the first time, this is his best song (imo)

I had never heard this one either. According to Wikipedia, he was pretty big in both the US and Australia/NZ but didn't really make much of an impact in Europe, which is pretty unusual.

Excuse you... Right Thurr is a certified bop!

On another note. I just came in here from the Summer Walker thread after watching her new video that had a split second cameo from Jermaine Dupri dancing like a fool beside Usher. And then I watched the Grillz video after re-reading my comment on how it has the same beat as Bossy, which also features Jermaine Dupri dancing like a fool. And now i've just watched the Right Thurr video because of your comment which ALSO features Jermaine Dupri dancing like an idiot. Omg???

Speaking of Summer Walker, I'd love it if someone did a 2019 R&B Girls rate or something along those lines. Ari Lennox's album is one of my favourites of the year.

I had never heard this one either. According to Wikipedia, he was pretty big in both the US and Australia/NZ but didn't really make much of an impact in Europe, which is pretty unusual.
Is it unusual? Did a lot of US rappers cross over to Europe in the early 2000s? Chingy was like a hit machine back in the day.
Speaking of Summer Walker, I'd love it if someone did a 2019 R&B Girls rate or something along those lines. Ari Lennox's album is one of my favourites of the year.
Ooh I feel like that would be a hard song list to narrow down. So many talented R&B ladies at the moment. Kinda sad how none of them are breaking the mainstream anymore though, with the few exceptions. We need another mainstream R&B resurgence.

Also if anyone was wondering if I saw anymore Jermaine Dupri since my last post. I sure did. I just saw a tweet that used Shake It Off by Mariah Carey as a reaction vid and he's all up in that (which I forgot is actually a great video).

Between this and ya'll eliminating Bossy at #29, i'm done.