R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | I'm Out

londonrain

Staff member

I-Like.jpg

I Like
Keri Hilson 2/9

10 @elektroxx @Tchelitchew @Rei Ayanami me @Bslg17 @Hurricane Drunk @Sprockrooster @tylerc904 @Verandi @Daniel_O @Music Is Life @Conan | 9.7 @Untouchable Ace
5.5 @slaybellz | 6 @KingBruno @Empty Shoebox

Trajectory:
5: #5 (9.4)
10: #14 (9.325)
15: #16 (8.875)
20: #16 (8.888)
25: #13 (8.85)
30: #15 (8.808)
35: #15 (8.784)
All: #15 (8.746)

I Like was released in December 2009. It was written by German musicians David Jost and Robin Grubert and was originally used as part of the soundtrack of German romantic comedy Zweiohrküken (or Rabbit Without Ears 2), any of you familiar with that? Not sure if we have any Germans/Central Europeans taking in the rate. The Electropop bop was also included in a local re-release of Keri's debut In A Perfect World..., making it the album's seventh single. I Like was a huge hit in Europe, going #1 in Germany (where it was certified Platinum), Luxembourg, Poland and Slovakia and charting in the top 5/10 in several other countries, and #34 in the UK.

@Conan @DominoDancing @Filippa @SlowGinFizzzz does this look familiar at all?

I know no one asked but it looks like one of those comedies with Til Schweiger dating his kids' schoolteacher that come up on TV every once in a while.

This is the version of the vid they used to show on TV round here.
TW: Schweiger in drag played 'for laughs'.

D

Deleted member 26234

I know no one asked but it looks like one of those comedies with Til Schweiger dating his kids' schoolteacher that come up on TV every once in a while.

This is the version of the vid they used to show on TV round here.
TW: Schweiger in drag played 'for laughs'.

I know about Zweiohrküken, but I haven't watched it. It's the sequel to Keinohrhasen, which was very successful, the reviews were mixed (as far as I remember). But I haven't watched it either. I guess it's a nice movie, giving you a good feeling. And @Phonetics Boy you are right: exactly that movie.

The-Way-I-Are.jpg

The Way I Are (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.)
Keri Hilson 1/9
11 @Untouchable Ace
| 10 @elektroxx @livefrommelbs @ssa me @Bslg17 @Ana Raquel @vague @GimmeWork @londonrain @Hurricane Drunk @CasuallyCrazed @Sprockrooster @Verandi @Daniel_O @godspeed @Music Is Life @Conan @Remorque | 9.6 @berserkboi
0 @Empty Shoebox | 4.5 @Aester | 6.5 @slaybellz

Trajectory:
5: #14 (9)
10: #10 (9.46)
15: #5 (9.4)
20: #5 (9.43)
25: #9 (9.024)
30: #13 (8.853)
35: #14 (8.917)
All: #14 (8.811)

The Way I Are was released in June 2007 as the second single from Timbaland's second album Shock Value, and it was also included as a bonus track in some versions of Keri's debut. It was written by Timbaland, Keri, D.O.E., Danja, The Clutch and Candice Nelson and produced by Timbaland and Danja, and samples the iconic Push It by Salt-N-Pepa. While Keri had been songwriting for years and had done a few guest features and soundtrack appearances, The Way I Are was was her real breakthrough as a singer, and helped kickstart her solo career, and it was also the first of several Keri/Timbaland collaborations. As for D.O.E., it was his only appearance in the charts, and one of the very few songs he ever released, and he doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page, which wild. Making Colby O'Donnis look like a huge star in comparison. Aside from Keri, Timbaland and D.O.E., the video version of the song also features a guest verse by Sebastian, Timbaland's rapper brother. The Way I Are was a massive hit, possibly the biggest one in this rate, it peaked at #3 and was certified triple Platinum in the US, #1 and Platinum in the UK, and it was also #1 in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Hungary, Ireland and Norway, and a top 5 hit pretty much everywhere else.

This leaving at #13 is a mess and a half. It's a total classic, and it definitely should have been top 10 at the very least. It's tied with King of Hearts for the most 10s so far (eighteen), and without @Empty Shoebox's offensive score, it would have been #10 and had a deserved 9+ average.

I like, I like:
@slaybellz (6.5) I really hated this song at the time, but it's not that bad in hindsight

@Rei Ayanami (8) I love the beat.

@KingBruno (8) You can clearly hear the “My Love” synths being recycled. Keri Hilson’s vocal hook is very great, though.

@berserkboi (9.6) A classic! Just not my favourite Timba!

@livefrommelbs (10) 2007 was one of the most memorable years of my life (my senior year of high school, the year I started going to parties, exploring my sexuality, etc.) so bops from this year automatically get a bonus boost of nostalgia. That said, The Way I Are truly is a standout of that period - that perfect blend of urban and electro-pop that Timbaland & co. were doing so well at the time. Keri's vocals have always been my fave part of what's still a stone-cold classic.

@ssa (10) The production would’ve aged horribly on any other song but this hits hitting at 100% the whole time.

@Ana Raquel (10) Ugh 00s Timbaland productions were LIT. I lived for them (still do)

@Sprockrooster (10) Still annoyed by the grammar, but a 10 nonetheless. Love how Keri was part of Timbo's renaissance.

@Verandi (10) One of the best double choruses in pop history yes? What a shit video tho.

@godspeed (10) "That summer of 2007 was such a good one. I remember this and Rihanna's "Umbrella" were playing all the damn time everywhere but I never grew tired of both of these songs. I still listen to this track and the Shock Value album quite often. Timbaland may have lost some of his magic around 2008-2009 because he was producing songs for everybody, but damn did he deliver in 2007! As much as I think Keri Hilson deserves praise for this one, I'd love for us to take a minute to praise Timbaland's production work because when he nailed it, he REALLY nailed it. (and I know PopJustice mostly discredit him for his work on Hard Candy and I don't think he's the one to blame, but that's a subject for a different thread that I won't go into)"

@Music Is Life (10) BOOOOOOOOOOOOOP. DANCING IN PUBLIC AND I DON’T EVEN CARE!

@Untouchable Ace (11) This is so masteful, groovey and perfect. Also probably the most inventive use of a sample ever. It's completely flipped. I'm all for the more concise edit.

The video:

Legends only:

Last edited:
Not Keri being the first person out ddd. Consider this justice for all the Cassie and Ashanti songs that left way too early!
@Empty Shoebox

tenor.gif

The Way I Are leaving before fucking Oops, Dip It Low, Me & U, Overdose? Keri leaving before Cassie, Ashanti and Tweet? WHAT THE FUCK

Going from 8 songs in the top 40 to 0 songs in the top 10 was rough. I'm sure no-one would have ever imagined Keri would be the first to lose all her songs ddd. A mess.