R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #28 | Page 85 | The Popjustice Forum

R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #28

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Sep 13, 2019.

1. I still knew it was Touch. Who knew I was such a stan?

Bslg17, vague, Music Is Life and 3 others like this.
  2. Cannot wait for @soratami to run the Bardot Discography Rate and we can have this lyric on the title:

The love we made was incomplete like the shoes on your feet

Fuchsia, vague, soratami and 3 others like this.
  3. Cobblers need bops they can relate to as well!

4. Bardot - Queens Of Catering To Every Market No Matter How Niche!! :D

vague, soratami and livefrommelbs like this.

[​IMG]

When You Look At Me
    Christina Milian 3/9

10 @elektroxx @livefrommelbs @ssa me @Ana Raquel @londonrain @Riiiiiiiii @Music Is Life @Untouchable Ace @Conan @Remorque @Holly Something | 9.6 @berserkboi
    1 @Rei Ayanami | 4 @Sprockrooster | 4.5 @Cutlery

Trajectory:
    5: #34 (7.8)
    10: #28 (8.51)
    15: #26 (8.329)
    20: #25 (8.355)
    25: #23 (8.364)
    30: #22 (8.37)
    35: #21 (8.531)
    All: #22 (8.377)

When You Look At Me was released in June 2002 as the second single from Christina Milian's self-titled debut album. It was written by Christina, Christin Karlsson, Nina Woodford, Fredrik Odesio and Henrik Jonback and produced by PJ-favourite Swedish duo Bloodshy & Avant, who are responsible for a myriad of bops such as Britney's Toxic and Rachel Stevens's Sweet Dreams My LA Ex. Christina had this to say about the song: "when I was growing up, I found people were always trying to label me. The first day of school it would be like 'Here comes this girl all dressed up. She thinks she's all that' and they didn't even know me. The message behind 'When You Look at Me' is never judge a book by its cover.". Much like its predecessor, When You Look At Me was a huge hit for Christina, peaking at #3 and being certified Silver in the UK, #7 and being certified Gold in Australia, and charting in the top 10/20 all over Europe.

When You Look At Me is a huge bop and one of the poppiest songs in the rate, and I wouldn't have minded if it made the top 20. It had an interesting leaderboard journey, receiving that 1 from @Rei Ayanami (the third lowest score in the top 30) among the first five ballots and then slowly climbing the leaderboard through the whole voting period. It was very close to entering the top 20, though even if @Rei Ayanami hadn't voted, it still would have peaked at #21. At least Christina still has two songs in the top 20, not everyone has that.

<Christina Aguilera voice> Don't look at me:
    @Rei Ayanami (1) No thanks. The late 90s/early 2000s, cookie-cutter teenybopper sound just isn’t for me.

@Sprockrooster (4) Always hated this one. That intro is particarly annoying.

@godspeed (6.5) "Ok, this is cute but that's really not my cup of tea. Christina Milian did that bubble-gum pop sound much better on "AM to PM" in my opinion but I could understand if some of you really loved this one. It's catchy and definitely sounds like something that could have been huge in the early-2000s."

<Geri Halliwell voice> Look at me!:
    @Verandi (8) Releasing a banger AND a bop as the two singles from the debut album. The power that has etc etc

@berserkboi (9.6) This is more of an earworm than I remember...

@livefrommelbs (10) I stanned the absolute shit out of this song when it first came out, so this is easily one of my top tracks in this rate. A perfect pop song, built around a brilliant chorus. Just having the track start with the hook sets the whole thing up in the best possible way.

@ssa (10) The melody in this is everything. I heard it once on the radio 3 years before finding out who it was and it was stuck in my head. Perfection.
    Y’all need to repent for not having included Whatever U Want in the rate.

@Music Is Life (10) I love the guitar at the beginning and throughout the song. I love the chorus. I love the lyrics

@Untouchable Ace (10) What about a collaboration with Brandy? That would have been something.

@Holly Something (10) I loved this so much when I first heard it, still a big tune.

@Remorque (10) I actually like this one more than AM to PM, so this is undoubtedly a 10. Her performance is great and the production's deliciously early '00s.

The video:

Legends only:

6. Why y'all gotta ruin my morning like this?

7. You know what I see when I look at some of you? Certainly not taste, that's for sure. Queentina, once again, deserved better than this.

I used to have When You Look At Me on a karaoke CD and let me tell you, I absolutely slayed it every single performance (of which there were many.) Even to this day I still know every word.

8. Well at least it's not Ashanti, Cassie or Tweet...

If it has to be one of them next, can it at least be "King Of Hearts" and then maybe a Ciara song. I just need my girls to make the Top 20 alive.

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  9. That was top 20 material.

10. I've just started my scores for Part 2 and I... regret choosing this as my fave. Mess.

vague, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  11. [​IMG]

12. Someone is about to lost their 11 right before the top 20...

13. Maybe it's mine! Oh wait, never mind...

vague, Riiiiiiiii, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  14. God dammit!!

15. Started crushing down in part two today, and it's so hard to stop the commentary from being some sort of variant of "This is a bop!"

16. Well, that never stopped @berserkboi ddd

17. I have the next elimination ready to go but I don't like posting them at the bottom of a page

[​IMG]

18. here ya go!

19. I would thank you but I won't because of what's coming next...

vague, londonrain, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.