R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #31 (2) #30 #29 | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #31 (2) #30 #29

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Paradise is cute, but it should actually have been out ages ago... A top 50 song it's not.

soratami and londonrain like this.
  2. Mess. This definitely deserved top 40 although I wouldn't have expected much higher than that.

The paradise/pair of dice switchup in the chorus though.

[​IMG]

3. Me every time @londonrain starts talking shit about Cassie:

4. Me and @londonrain dancing on the Cassie songs' graves.

[​IMG]

londonrain and soratami like this.
  5. You're both losing a 9+ score next

[​IMG]

6. I think I know which artist this is. Oh well.

vague, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  7. It's so dumb, but I just have a bias against R&B and pop singers cussing in their songs. It always sounds so corny to me. So cheesy.

It doesn't bother me when Rihanna does it, but almost every other time, it makes me cringe.

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  8. Why? People say this all the time and I have honestly never understood this criticism. I don't even notice the swearing half the time.

9. Personally I hate it when songs have swearing just for the sake of making an impact or being ~relatable~, which is something that happens a lot in more recent releases. But when it actually fits the song and doesn't feel forced, it doesn't bother me at all.

vague, Rei Ayanami, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  10. Can you give me an example?

My view of it is that most people have swear words in their every day vocabulary and the censorship of those words in the history of music actually feels way more unnatural to me.

11. Thanks! Honestly, I know how much work this is so I think it's great this is the only mix-up we've had.
    To each their own I guess.
    Agreed. I've always felt like it makes more sense for people to swear in music, cause that's how most people usually speak.

vague, slaybellz and soratami like this.

[​IMG]

Good Good
    Ashanti 5/9

10 me @Music Is Life @Cutlery | 9.6 @berserkboi
    2 @Empty Shoebox | 5 @Bslg17 | 6 @ssa @GimmeWork @Riiiiiiiii @slaybellz

Trajectory:
    5: #56 (7.1)
    10: #60 (7.535)
    15: #52 (7.489)
    20: #48 (7.493)
    25: #47 (7.294)
    30: #45 (7.528)
    35: #47 (7.433)
    All: #46 (7.511)

Good Good was released in July 2008 as the second single from Ashanti's fifth album The Declaration. It was written by Ashanti, Manuel Seal and Jermaine Dupri, with the latter two having produced. It samples Elton John's 1972 hit Bennie and the Jets and the original and inferior version of Brandy and Monica's The Girl Is Mine. It was a moderate success on release, having charted at #30 in the US R&B/Rap Songs chart.

Good Good is insanely catchy and always gets randomly stuck in my head. It's a fun, lighthearted and funny song, and the 50s pin-up inspired video is possibly Ashanti's best. So, I'm very here for it. It only received two scores below 6, which is quite impressive, but the lack of very high scores unfortunately prevented it from doing better.

Bad bad:
    n/a

So so:
    @slaybellz (6) The lyrics in this did not age well ddd.

@Rei Ayanami (7) A cool, sexy track. The video is better than the song.

@Remorque (7) I have to admit that the video actually elevates the song to kind of a bop, but I wasn't really impressed with the song back when The Declaration was released and it still doesn't, really…

Good good:
    @livefrommelbs (7.5) Feel those oats, Ashanti!

@londonrain (9) I’ve always been conflicted about this song. One the one hand, it’s a bop and I love the chorus. However, the lyrics to the verses are a mess. “Let your man be the man when he in public” is the same kind of nonsense that has got Fantasia in trouble this year, and the song bolsters this idea that it’s the woman’s responsibility to be good enough to keep a man, and that she should only be running things behind the scenes but never stopping him from being “the man” in front of everyone else. I get that the video is playing up to the campy stereotypes and has a sense of humour, but the lyrics feel way too serious for me to dismiss them as a joke. (I get the impression the song doesn't take itself or is meant to be taken seriously at all, so I don't really have an issue with the lyrics)

@Verandi (9) She got that bop bop (UH). She got that bop bop (UH).

@godspeed (9) "I rarely listen to The Declaration, mostly because I quite dislike its lead single ("Body On Me" is another story though, but I get why it wasn't included in this rate since it's more of a Nelly song). So "Good Good" was actually a song that I re-discovered thanks to this rate so I couldn't be more grateful! This is a simple yet brilliant song! Simply put, issa bop."

@berserkboi (9.6) A bop along!

@Music Is Life (10) Love the production and the melody, and I really love her voice. The lyrics are great too!! Queen.

The video:

Another classic:

Riiiiiiiii, vague, Fuchsia and 18 others like this.
  13. I can't think of any specific examples, I was thinking about the type of playlist-fodder songs that always end up showing up in PJSC that never really have an original bone in their body and always include some swearing in the lyrics for peak relatability. Those always make me roll my eyes. But again, I don't really have an issue with swearing in music in general, the Paradise intro for example is absolutely iconic.

vague, RUNAWAY and slaybellz like this.
  14. Oh.

I can live with this going. It’s a problematic bop.

(I wish the song had more of a sense of humour about it, but the whole “my man won’t cheat on me because I’m so amazing” shtick was tired then and it’s tired now.)

vague, berserkboi, GimmeWork and 4 others like this.
  15. Up next: an elimination I'm not mad about at all, and the biggest average jump since the bottom 5.

vague, elektroxx, abael and 6 others like this.
  16. Y'all can leave Ashanti's discography alone now. Please and thank you.

[​IMG]

Young, Fresh n' New
    Kelis 9/9

10 @elektroxx @GimmeWork @Sprockrooster @Verandi @Music Is Life @Conan | 9.5 @KingBruno
    1 @londonrain | 4 @abael | 5.5 @Daniel_O
    My score: 7

Trajectory:
    5: #34 (7.8)
    10: #50 (7.895)
    15: #49 (7.604)
    20: #41 (7.748)
    25: #40 (7.678)
    30: #43 (7.632)
    35: #45 (7.701)
    All: #45 (7.696)

Young, Fresh n' New was released in September 2001 as the lead (and only) single from Kelis's sophomore album Wanderland. It was written by Kelis, Pharell Williams and Chad Hugo (AKA The Neptunes) and also produced by The Neptunes (remember when Pharell's productions were actually good?). Young, Fresh n' New was a moderate hit in Europe, charting at #32 in the UK, but didn't chart in the US. According to Kelis, the label (Virgin) didn't handle the album properly, which led to her leaving it, and the album not getting released in the US at all, only in Europe and Japan. Wanderland wasn't even available on streaming until June 2019, eighteen years after its original release, and just a couple of months before the rate started.

Young, Fresh n' New is a cool rockier moment in the rate, but honestly I don't think it should have lasted as long as it did. While it's definitely an interesting song in terms of lyrics, production and structure, it's just not one I ever really feel like retuning to. It did get six 10s, which is the most so far, and also benefited from there not really being any dedicated Kelis haters here (aside from @londonrain).

Almost fresh:
    @livefrommelbs (7) She's a bit of a weird one, isn't she? Not the sort of thing I'd willingly bop to, but credit to Kelis for doing something different.

@Rei Ayanami (7) Its sound will either keep you coming back to it or put you off.

@slaybellz (7) The beat is sick but that chorus is kind of annoying.

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed:
    @godspeed (8) "The Wanderland album is kind of an UFO in Kelis' discography but it's great and I think everyone should listen to it because it's another proof - among many others - of her versatility and vision. The heavy metal influence she was going for reminds me of another Kelis and The Neptunes' underrated gem that I think everyone should know!"

@Untouchable Ace (8.1) Quite edgy albeit of the moment production.

@berserkboi (9.2) Again, great song but not Kelis’ best

@KingBruno (9.5) This literally sounds like a product of outer space. Mind-boggingly unique, in a style only Kelis could bring to the market.

@Sprockrooster (10) Let me use this track to proclaim my love for Wanderland. It featured also my 11 in the Kelis rate. Popular Thug is that song!

@Verandi (10) Banger! She did that and the world let it flop. Typical.

@Music Is Life (10) I fucking love this and I’m not even 30 seconds in.

The video:

Legends only:

KingBruno, Riiiiiiiii, abael and 18 others like this.
  18. What? Y'all. "Good Stuff" and "Jerk Ribs" are still here and y'all eliminated "Young Fresh N' New"?!

19. Those two could vacate as well tbh

vague, Bslg17, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  20. Did somebody mention Loona? Stan Loona!!!

vague, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.