R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #31 (2) #30 #29 | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

R&B BOP QUEENS RATE | Part 2 #31 (2) #30 #29

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Sep 13, 2019.

1. [​IMG]

vague, Sprockrooster, ssa and 3 others like this.
  2. Around the time Kelis Was Here and B'Day were released, I took part in a drunken debate, lasting at least twenty minutes, over who was the better hip-hop couple. At the time I picked Kelis and Nas, which is crazy to me now for a number of reasons, but they really seemed to be such a force back then. If only I'd known what was happening behind the scenes. I'm glad she got out and seems to be in a much healthier place now.

And I wish we'd gotten Lil' Star in the US instead, because I've always liked it better than Blindfold Me anyway.

3. So I just looked up the Kelis Was Here era because I was curious and what a mess of a campaign it was. "Bossy" came out in January 2016, the album came out in August, "Blindfold Me" came out in October in the US exclusively and "Lil Star" was scheduled for release in January the next year, but had its release moved to February and it wasn't released in all territories. Australia didn't even get a second single off the album until 2008 when "I Don't Think So" took off organically after being featured in a Big Brother ad.

[​IMG]

Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)
    Ashanti 3/9

10 @elektroxx @Tchelitchew @vague @Sprockrooster @Robsolete @Conan @slaybellz @Remorque | 9.5 @Hurricane Drunk @godspeed @Music Is Life
    2 @Aester | 3 @CasuallyCrazed | @Empty Shoebox
    My score: 9

Trajectory:
    5: #17 (8.7)
    10: #24 (8.67)
    15: #30 (8.05)
    20: #31 (8.06)
    25: #42 (7.668)
    30: #42 (7.69)
    35: #40 (7.889)
    All: #41 (7.861)

Rock Wit U (Awww Baby) was released in May 2003 as the lead single from Ashanti's second album, Chapter II. Like most of her previous solo singles, it was written by Ashanti, Irv Gotti and Chink Santana, and produced by the latter two. Rock Wit U was a big hit, charting at #2 in the US, #3 in the UK, #4 in Canada, and going top 20/30 in several other territories. A alternative version with of the song was included in Ashanti's 2005 remix album Collectibles by Ashanti. It features a flute, which always a plus.

As you can see in the trajectory, Rock Wit U was actually the first song eliminated so far to have been in the top 20 at one point, which is pretty impressive. Also, it's the song with the most 10s outside of the top 40 (the first being What's Luv... poor Ashanti). Rock Wit U is a lush, smooth jam, but I have to admit it doesn't quite do it for me the same way as Ashanti's other early career smashes.

Awww baby:
    @londonrain (6) A bop, but muffy, sis, the vocals.

@Verandi (6) Sounds like one of those basic bops Mariah used to make at the beginning of the millennium. It's… not essential.

@Holly Something (6) I was disappointed that this was the first single from Ashanti's sophomore album, never cared much for it.

Yeah baby:
    @Rei Ayanami (8) I really like this song now. I didn’t when it came out.

@livefrommelbs (8.5) An underrated, understated bop. This has aged so well. I love the little runs and riffs she songs over the vocal hook on the chorus.

@berserkboi (9.2) Another cute moment

@godspeed (9.5) "The music video to this song is so simple yet every time I read "rock wit u," I immediately envision Ashanti on a beach. If that's not another perfect proof of how legendary Ashanti really is, I don't know what is. The song is itself is one of her best: summery, sweet and catchy, everything I expect from Ashanti."

@Music Is Life (9.5) Whoa at that production. Make me bop all day please.

@Sprockrooster (10) The summer vibes in this made from a fan into a stan. Who doesn't dream away to a far away exclusive tropical island basically doing nothing and sipping a fresh made cocktail.

@slaybellz (10) Another classic.

@Remorque (10) Looking back, the Chapter 2 era was probably her best for me with this one and Rain on Me being magnificent. At the time I wasn't initially impressed with this, but over time it grew on me and I got to fucking love it. She gives us a solid performance and she looks gorgeous as fuck in the video too.

The video:

Legends only:

vague, Butterfly, GimmeWork and 21 others like this.
  5. Top 40

Amerie
    4/9

Why Don't We Fall in Love
    1 Thing
    Touch
    Talkin' About
    Take Control
    Gotta Work
    Why R U
    Heard 'Em All
    Curious

Ashanti
    2/9

Foolish
    Happy
    What's Luv? (Fat Joe feat. Ja-Rule & Ashanti)
    Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)

Only U
    Good Good
    I Got It (feat. Rick Ross)
    Early In The Morning (feat. French Montana)
    Say Less (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

Cassie
    4/9

Me & U
    Long Way 2 Go
    Is It You
    Official Girl (feat. Lil Wayne)
    King Of Hearts
    Paradise (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
    Love a Loser (feat. G-Eazy)
    Don't Play It Safe
    Don't Let Go

Christina Milian
    3/9

AM To PM
    When You Look At Me
    Dip It Low
    Say I (feat. Jeezy)
    I Gotta Get To You
    Us Against The World
    Rebel
    We Ain't Worried
    Liar

Ciara
    9/9

Goodies (feat. Petey Pablo)
    1, 2 Step (feat. Missy Elliott)
    Like A Boy
    Work (feat. Missy Elliott)
    Ride (feat. Ludacris)
    I'm Out (feat. Nicki Minaj)
    Overdose
    Dance Like We're Making Love
    Level Up

Kelis
    7/9

Caught Out There
    Good Stuff
    Young, Fresh 'N' New
    Milkshake
    Trick Me
    Bossy (feat. Too $hort)
    Blindfold Me (feat. Nas)
    4th Of July (Fireworks)
    Jerk Ribs

Keri Hilson
    8/9

The Way I Are (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E.)
    Return The Favor (feat. Timbaland)
    Turnin Me On (feat. Lil Wayne)
    Knock You Down (feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo)
    Scream (Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & Nicole Scherzinger)
    Million Dollar Girl (Trina feat. Diddy & Keri Hilson)
    I Like
    Pretty Girl Rock
    Lose Control

Tweet
    3/9

Oops (Oh My) (feat. Missy Elliott)
    Call Me
    Boogie 2Nite
    Thugman (feat. Missy Elliott)
    No Panties (Trina feat. Tweet)
    Turn da Lights Off (feat. Missy Elliott)
    When I Need a Man
    International Affair (Mark Ronson feat. Sean Paul & Tweet)
    Magic

vague, GimmeWork, Robsolete and 13 others like this.
  6. That's right, Ashanti only has two songs in the top 40. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Keri and Tweet, on the other hand, remain unbothered as neither have lost a song in a long time. And of course Ciara remains untouchable. But how long will that last?

7. This fucking mess. Thankgod Aaliyah was spared this weird countdown order. Ciara however is reigning supreme but I do not mind her losing some. Same goes for more from Kelis and Keri. 4th of July is definetely overstaying it's welcome now.

vague, berserkboi, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  8. ssa

ssa

Keri having EIGHT out of nine songs still in is scammery at its finest.
    How did that even happen?

Getting rid of 7 of her songs in a row would be quite the twist though. Crossing my fingers.

Not Million Dollar Girl. That one can go on to win the whole thing.

9. If anyone still wants to PM me their favourite song not in the rate by each of the acts, please do it soon. I'll be focusing on that part of the rate for a little bit before we get to the top 40. I did mention I had something cool planned for those extra songs, so it'd be ideal if as many people as possible participated.

vague, Verandi, berserkboi and 6 others like this.
  10. Does that mean we are about to lose someone?

vague, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  11. No! It'll still be quite a while before that happens. I just thought right before the top 40 would be a good time to focus on the extra songs. That doesn't mean regular eliminations will be delayed by a long time by the way, more like just for about 2 days.

12. Take Control is lasting longer than I thought it would. So righteous.

13. Speaking of songs lasting longer than you thought they would, I'm extremely pleased Million Dollar Girl made it to the top 40. It's what she deserves.

Jerk Ribs on the other hand...

vague, Robsolete, Bslg17 and 2 others like this.
  14. Why are y'all doing Ashanti so dirty? Ashanti better not lose another song until the Top 10. I literally can't right now.

15. ....Alright i'm done with this rate.

16. Oh WOW, this is a plot twist. Kelis and Keri are definitely over-represented in that top 40. I was scrolling through Cici's list looking for songs that could go, though, and most of them really are superior.

Maybe not Level Up.

17. Guys???????? Poor Ashanti

18. I see Ashanti's only 10 is still in so I'm not mad x

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  19. I think Ashanti's lost too many songs, but if it were up to me, Rock Wit U would have been her first one out. Just three and a half minutes of her saying "Aww baby, ooh baby" over and over again. I find it incredibly irritating.

Foolish is okay, but it's Only U that should be her top song at this point. (I still can't believe What's Luv? is already gone.)

20. Rock Wig U (Awww Slayby) not even in the top 40? Miss Ashanti Douglas didn't break chart records to be treated like this.

Also, when @londonrain drags her vocals, I feel like the rest of y'all probably do when he drags Cassie ddd. Not only do I not have a problem with her voice at all, I genuinely think she's a good singer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.