r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (#90 + RECAP) | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (#90 + RECAP)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Petty Mayonnaise, Jan 25, 2021.

?

What is your favorite Charli XCX project?

1. Heartbreaks and Earthquakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Super Ultra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. True Romance

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Sucker

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Vroom Vroom EP

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Number 1 Angel

15 vote(s)
    15.3%
  7. Pop 2

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  8. Charli

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. How I'm Feeling Now

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  10. XCX World

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. which of our untouched albums is about to get a chop

[​IMG]
    Thoughts
    Highest Score: 11 x 1 (@fatyoshi)
    10 x 2 (@superultra @Remyky22)
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 (@Jonathan27)
    My Score: 4

I believe a few of you guessed that self-titled would be the next album to lose a track, and really it's not that surprising with how the album's reception has only gotten more and more mixed since its release. Despite being a noted Charli truther and defender of the album as a whole, I've never really clicked with Thoughts the way I have most of the album. There's something in the way the production clashes with the vocals that just sets me on edge honestly, and I...just kind of find it unpleasant to listen to honestly (and it doesn't help that she went on to vastly improve on this purposeful dissonance between harsh production and vulnerable sentiment on much of how i'm feeling now). According to Charli, bits of the very first vocal take are in the final cut of the song, and...it shows nn. As someone who typically adores her softer, upper register, the way she deploys it here borders on atonal in places. I can appreciate that as a song that's devoted to spiraling in one's own negative thoughts, the soundscape she and A.G. chose for this song really commits to that idea as does the stream of consciousness approach to the lyrics (which are pretty excellent across the board to be fair), and there's definitely some wonderful moments hidden amongst the noise. It's also apparently Charli's favorite of the featureless songs on Charli, which, there's no accounting for taste now is there?

While I may not seek it out to listen to...ever, I do want to highlight just how beautifully written and visceral this chorus is. Some of her best lyrical work ever? Possibly.

Drivin' 'round in Hollywood, I can only think 'bout you
    Everlasting pain and it weighs on my body, it's you
    Did I lose it all? Did I fuck it up?
    Are my friends really friends now or are they far gone?
    On the drugs at a bar, took 'em all
    Can't stop thinking 'bout you

2. Not the first 11 out ddddd

I love Thoughts for many of the elements mentioned in the write-up as reasons @Petty Mayonnaise found it more polarizing. Until how i'm feeling now, I thought it and Tears were something of a natural conclusion of the sounds and themes explored on her most recent releases.

It's definitely not for everyone and I wasn't expecting it to go too far. I'm just glad it didn't tank out within the first couple eliminations. Little victories.

3. Ddd. Good! I'm happy about both these eliminations. Fancy really should have been out a while ago. Literally everything about the song would be fine if you just removed Iggy from it. I will just never get past how this woman even has a career.

And Thoughts is just not that pleasant to listen to... Sounds like she's doing her best Bibi Bourelly impression and it's kind of annoying?

5. Good god, "Thoughts" deserved so much better.

amtam, ohnostalgia, Mr Blonde and 3 others like this.
  6. NO! Thoughts is one of the best tracks on self-titled. How can you not appreciate how visceral and painful it is and how accurately every element of the song serves in painting what it so honestly talks about? The lyrics! The vocoder! That second verse where everything drops for a second just so that every line lingers on a bit more! That VORTEX of a bridge! What a lack of taste for kicking it out before getting rid of all the scum and fat across Charli's whole discography.

7. My ears describing what it's like listening to Thoughts and Cross You Out too many times

8. Well my preferred first cut would always be the butchered rework of Track 10, but it's surprising to me how much I fell out of love with Thoughts after the first few months when I had it down as a highlight.

A couplet, though

sesita likes this.
  9. Sis, Track 10 is the rework.

Andy French likes this.
  10. Thoughts just sounds bad. Great lyrics but that's rendered irrelevant when I can't even make it through the song nn. When it's bumping shoulders with some of her best ever work on its parent album the score felt appropriate.

DinahLee, Elysium, tea and 9 others like this.
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Fancy still bops I'm sorry.

LPMA, sexercise, Laurence and 6 others like this.
  12. R27

R27

WTF! I love "Thoughts" in all of it's hazed out moody sad girl glory. Genuinely a Charli highlight for me and had no idea it was so looked done upon here. I've been blindsided.

ohnostalgia, Dijah., Remyky22 and 3 others like this.
  13. Me listening to "Fancy" after being reminded by @Petty Mayonnaise 's write-up of the "my flow r******d" lyric -

[​IMG]

I won't lie - I low-key stanned Iggy during The New Classic era, but I didn't quite appreciate how much Charli brought to "Fancy" until Iggy released her own Charli-less pale imitation, "Beg for It" (no offense to MØ) -

14. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This performance..........poor MØ

Andy French likes this.
  15. Great dancers, beautiful dancers.

elektroxx and sesita like this.
  16. I’ll pray for those who don’t like “Thoughts,” as you all are afflicted with tastelessness. God bless.

amtam, ohnostalgia, Jersey and 10 others like this.
  17. Tea.

I like Charli and the melody on Thoughts but god that production is irritating. I skip it almost every time.

slaybellz likes this.
  18. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I don't love Thoughts but I definitely wouldn't have expected it to be the first cut from the self-titled. I Don't Wanna Know was right there.

Elysium, slaybellz and fatyoshi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.