r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (#90 + RECAP) | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (#90 + RECAP)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Petty Mayonnaise, Jan 25, 2021.

?

What is your favorite Charli XCX project?

1. Heartbreaks and Earthquakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Super Ultra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. True Romance

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Sucker

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Vroom Vroom EP

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Number 1 Angel

15 vote(s)
    15.3%
  7. Pop 2

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  8. Charli

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. How I'm Feeling Now

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  10. XCX World

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. That can go next!

OspreyQueen likes this.
  2. ...In the top 5 of the album!

3. I thought that either "Blame It On Your Love" or "Warm" would be the first elimination from Charli.

4. Absolutely fucking not.

5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Y'all do way too much on Blame It On Your Love so that’s bound to not make the top 90 or something.

6. I still like Fancy, but the line "my flow r******d" doesn't make sense at all to a non-native English speaker like me?????

7. I think we’re supposed to think of it like “stupidly good”, something like that.

But yikes.

8. ...on the same album that houses Gone, Cross You Out, Official, Click, Next Level Charli and February 2017?

I don't see it for her.

slaybellz, Elysium, nikkysan and 3 others like this.
  9. I don’t see it for her either but a hunty can dream!

eatyourself and Jwentz like this.
  10. I Don't Wanna Know can stay for some time and Toughts is the correct first elimination from its album. I just hope we stop eliminating Sucker tracks for a while ":("

DinahLee and blissteria like this.
  11. I literally had no clue until this minute.
    [​IMG]

tea likes this.
  12. Everyone saying they didn't know about that lyric in Fancy...okay so we can all agree that everything she says when she raps sounds like gibberish? Cool.

13. Iggy literally raps like Courage the Cowardly Dog.

14. when a work spiral turns a one day break into a brief sabbatical

[​IMG]
    How Can I
    Highest Score: 10 x 4 (@tea @OspreyQueen @evilsin @soratami)
    Lowest Score: 2.5 x 1 (@blissteria)
    My Score: 6

The extras get a bit of a break today, but unfortunately it's True Romance that has to pay the price. I get that it's (correctly) sort of agreed upon that How Can I is one of the weaker moments on True Romance (which I think is kind of magnified by how good the album is across the board which leads to this being cut so early despite being better than at least half of Sucker, which benefits from having lower expectations generally), but I do think she could've stuck around just a little bit longer. The witchy synths and pulsating drums recall a more polished take on Charli's early mixtapes, which I always have time for. The issue is that with a runtime of 4 minutes, it feels like How Can I expresses all of its ideas, both thematically and sonically, by about halfway through and comes across a bit like an extended interlude for me. The production, as good as it is, swallows the melody and as a result the song...just kind of plods along.

Basically, the production is giving
    [​IMG]
    while the rest is giving
    [​IMG]

But let me be mad about it getting cut anyway, because songs from Sucker are still here, and that's fucked up leave True Romance alone.

15. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I’ll never get why y’all rate this song so low.

16. The only gripe I have with “How Can I” is that I prefer the production of the demo/Heartbreaks & Earthquakes version.

17. Well, for me there’s just not much of a song there. It just plods along endlessly. Like, I can’t even imagine the composition / top line being played on the piano and sounding any good at all.

For a song like that to be worth my while the production has to be extremely interesting, and this one isn’t. Even the lyrics aren’t anything special.

18. "How Can I" is probably my favorite album track from True Romance, so it's always perplexed me that y'all hate it. It deserved so much more, tbh.

Dijah., evilsin and soratami like this.
  19. How Can I is way too boring to be on an album like True Romance. Bye!

Aester, blissteria, Remyky22 and 2 others like this.
  20. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Oh so now y’all want melody in your pop songs??? Literally cannot relate

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.