r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (TIE at #86 (11 ALERT)) | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

r2.0: The Charli XCX Discography Rate 2021 (TIE at #86 (11 ALERT))

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Petty Mayonnaise, Jan 25, 2021.

?

What is your favorite Charli XCX project?

1. Heartbreaks and Earthquakes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Super Ultra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. True Romance

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Sucker

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Vroom Vroom EP

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Number 1 Angel

16 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Pop 2

34 vote(s)
    34.0%
  8. Charli

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. How I'm Feeling Now

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  10. XCX World

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Wait HUH?! Gold Coins is legitimately great, and one of Sucker's peaks. Famous and Break The Rules outpeaking..... Incorrect.

2. Love Gold Coins. One of the real gems from Sucker.

3. Break the Rules out next please ...then leave Sucker alone for awhile!

4. Quick update ladies!

I officially start my new job (!!!) this week, which means no more 10-11 hour work days and a much more manageable schedule overall, so the plan is to ease back into some semblance of my original schedule rather than a random elimination every few days or so. I really really appreciate everybody's patience in this very trying (legitimately but let's just laugh it off nn) time, and I haven't forgotten about you. See you all tomorrow x

5. 89
    [​IMG]
    Explode
    Highest Score: 10 x 5 (@GimmeWork @tea @Music Is Death @Heartthrob @ctrclub)
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 (@Los Ageless)
    My Score: 5.5

I could've swore this was out already, but I guess not? It's....ok? On the scale of Charles' soundtrack contributions, it rightfully ranks above the awful cover for Vinyl but beneath the superior Kingdom and Miss U. In the context of the rate this just feels very Sucker adjacent (weird since the soundtrack for Angry Birds came out in 2016? was this her repurposing an old demo for a check? because I can definitely get behind that concept work smarter not harder) and as a result it kind of blends into the slurry of mediocre album tracks that are already littering the lower end of these results, but at least this one isn't like...aurally offensive, so hello let's celebrate that.

Pros:
    1. inoffensive. decent playlist filler I guess
    2. not actively annoying to listen to
    3. paid charli's mortgage for a bit probably

Cons:
    1. altogether unmemorable tbh
    2. sounds kinda cheap
    3. related to angry birds

6. I hope she goes very far

sesita, Mr Blonde and AllGagaLike like this.
  7. Ddd this was my second favorite rate discovery after Don't Delete the Kisses. I can't help but bop.

Heartthrob and Phonetics Girl like this.
  8. Seeing as Charli got coin for providing inoffensive filler, I'll see that as a win for Ms Aitchison.

iRyan likes this.
  9. R27

R27

This is a bit cheap sounding(especially the proper chorus), but the pre-chorus is biT of a rush. This could have hung around quote awhile longer for me.

10. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Explode was a cute scrap of content at the time, but we've had four (five if you count XCX World) full-length albums since and it really isn't notable anymore.

thommyh, iRyan and LPMA like this.
  11. I would have given Gold Coins a ten.

Cotton Park likes this.
  12. 88
    [​IMG]
    Kingdom (w/Simon Le Bon)
    Highest Score: 10 x 7 (@superultra @ohnostalgia @supercut @Phonetics Girl @sesita @Heartthrob @klow)
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 (@ctrclub)
    My Score: 7

As someone who does not really care about the Hunger Games cinematic universe, I do find myself slightly nostalgic for that time when so many of the girls were serving largely good to great songs for these soundtracks. Many of our faves stayed booked and busy thanks to this franchise so for that, I am thankful. Plus bops! I mean come on let's just take a second to look at this excellence that we might otherwise not have received.

And Kingdom could've ranked among them if it had just been a solo Charli song, but here we are. Every time I play Kingdom, I'm surprised I don't rate it higher at first, because the beginning (and the end) is so beautifully delicate in a way Charles' music often isn't, taking full advantage of her emotive upper register to great success. It gives me Regina Spektor composing a song for a long lost 1940s animated children's princess movie, and honestly that fantasy gives me everything I didn't know I needed out of life. Then Simon's middle 8 comes in and...just feels completely disconnected from the rest of the song for me, and whatever song it comes from isn't anywhere near as good as the one Charli is singing, and I'm reminded why this is a solid 7 rather than a 9 or 10 for me. Nothing here is straight up bad by any means, but something about it just feels less than the sum of its parts for me.

13. A moment in history, tbh.

KingBruno, evilsin, Bslg17 and 35 others like this.
  14. Aw, I love Kingdom. Charli's never sounded softer and more delicate, and the melody's hauntingly gorgeous. It's a rare gem in her discography.

15. Someone gave this a...1?? Would you like a cotton bud for that earwax problem of yours?

eddy2375, thommyh, Dijah. and 5 others like this.
  16. I love that she had never watched the movie when she submitted a song for the soundtrack ddddd.

elektroxx likes this.
  17. Explode is a bit of a racket but Kingdom is beautiful! Should’ve lasted another 20-30 eliminations at least even though I had to make a solo edit.

Los Ageless and iRyan like this.
  18. R27

R27

Possibly her loveliest song. It feels increasingly unique in her discography and that feels like a bit of a shame. It appears I’m in the minority here though...

Phonetics Girl and iRyan like this.
  19. I have the Explode (Demo) in some xcxcollection and it's just a little rough all around and makes me appreciate it a little more.

20. I was going to say that I wonder if Charli XCX had seen The Angry Birds movie before submitting "Explode" to its soundtrack and then I remembered that she's actually in it, ddd.

Aester, soratami, djmakemewet and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.