Rachel Hylton (X Factor) approached by John Legend

From Buzz Jack:

X-FACTORS’s Rachel Hylton, has reportedly been approached by US label ‘Hometown Records’. Owned by singer John Legend, the label has been responsible for successfully re-launching the career of Estelle. Legend, who has had a string of his own hits, is allegedly keen to launch another British talent.

An insider said ‘Representative’s from Hometown have been very impressed with Rachel’s distinctive voice. They believe that they’ve found a raw talent who could be a massive success on both sides of the Atlantic just like Leona Lewis.’

Earlier this month Hylton also stated "I have been approached by a record company but I'm not going to name them". She went on to say that she was unable to commit to anything until her contract with The X-Factor ended in March.

Constantly championed by judge Simon Cowell, Hylton narrowly missed out on the X-Factor’s semi-final to boy band JLS, despite impressing the judges with her rendition Billie Holiday’s I’m Telling You I’m Not Going.

V

vasilios

What about the other Hylton, Surrender (Your Love) is one of my top flops both song and video.

Alex T. said:
successfully re-launching the career of Estelle
Ahem...
She's had a number one single and a reasonably successful album. Considering the state her career was in prior to John Legend signing her up, I don't think there's much to argue with.

Simon has already signed an unprecedented four finalists (Alex, JLS, Eggnog and Diana) so I think it's unlikely he'll offer a deal to any of the others. And I'd much rather hear music from Rachel under the guidance of John Legend than anything she'd come up with if Simon were calling the shots.

F

futurix

Alphableat said:
I'm no fan of the album, but she's done well off of American Boy. I reckon there'll be a lot of interest in her next album.
They made her a one hit wonder, this is hardly re-launching the career...

Hazuki said:
From Buzz Jack:

Constantly championed by judge Simon Cowell, Hylton narrowly missed out on the X-Factor’s semi-final to boy band JLS, despite impressing the judges with her rendition Billie Holiday’s I’m Telling You I’m Not Going.
[/quote]

Didn't Ruth narrowly miss out on the semi-final, not Rachel?

S

someboy0716

She'll probably have to sleep with him, it's common knowledge John Legend is a ladies man to put it mildly.

Alex T. said:
Alphableat said:
I'm no fan of the album, but she's done well off of American Boy. I reckon there'll be a lot of interest in her next album.
They made her a one hit wonder, this is hardly re-launching the career...

And before she was a no hit wonder. Now she has 2 Grammy noms, Mercury Prize, 2 Mobos and a World Music Award, and her album has done 500,000 worldwide. If I was Rachel I would be happy with that.

mikejmc5580 said:
Alex T. said:
successfully re-launching the career of Estelle
Ahem...
She's had a number one single and a reasonably successful album. Considering the state her career was in prior to John Legend signing her up, I don't think there's much to argue with.

Simon has already signed an unprecedented four finalists (Alex, JLS, Eggnog and Diana) so I think it's unlikely he'll offer a deal to any of the others. And I'd much rather hear music from Rachel under the guidance of John Legend than anything she'd come up with if Simon were calling the shots.

does Simon usually sign as many finalists from the show?

Even when he does, how many does he push really?

Charley

Staff member
These are the acts that got a record deal out of The X Factor, excluding the winners and those that signed to labels other than Sony/BMG.

From season 1: G4 (2nd) (3 cover albums)
From season 2: Andy Abraham (2nd) (2 cover albums), Journey South (3rd) (1 covers album), Chico (5th) (2 singles), Maria Lawson (8th) (1 original album)
From season 3: Ray Quinn (2nd) (1 cover album), Ben Mills (3rd) (1 cover album)
From season 4: Rhydian (2nd) (1 cover album), Same Difference (3rd) (1 original album)

Edit: Wow, seeing it all together like that... My God, Simon's been L.A.Z.Y.!

Hazuki said:
From Buzz Jack:

X-FACTORS’s Rachel Hylton, has reportedly been approached by US label ‘Hometown Records’. Owned by singer John Legend, the label has been responsible for successfully re-launching the career of Estelle. Legend, who has had a string of his own hits, is allegedly keen to launch another British talent.

An insider said ‘Representative’s from Hometown have been very impressed with Rachel’s distinctive voice. They believe that they’ve found a raw talent who could be a massive success on both sides of the Atlantic just like Leona Lewis.’

Earlier this month Hylton also stated "I have been approached by a record company but I'm not going to name them". She went on to say that she was unable to commit to anything until her contract with The X-Factor ended in March.

Jennifer Holliday, anyone?

H

Hot_Mess29

Charley! said:
These are the acts that got a record deal out of The X Factor, excluding the winners and those that signed to labels other than Sony/BMG.

From season 2: Andy Abraham (2nd) (2 cover albums), Journey South (3rd) (1 covers album), Chico (5th) (2 singles), Maria Lawson (8th) (1 original album)
From season 4: Rhydian (2nd) (1 cover album), Same Difference (3rd) (1 original album)

Easy money i guess. But when did covers become okay?

Charley! said:

I'd actually forgotton 80% of these

Poor Rachel. The show format didn't suit her at all and the tabloid muckraking strangled any chance she had on the show.

Whether she can hypnotise the public enough to make it without the show is anyone's guess. I did quite like her.

I loved Rachel's voice but I thought that her attitude was all wrong for the show. She didn't want to be told what to do or even take advice she also felt she deserved to be there rather than having earned it this was her downfall and probably caused a lot of people to dislike her. If she can overturn this then she will be doing well.