Rachel Stevens: The All-Important Discography Rate

rs_homepage_1500x934_retina_05.jpg

I was going to make a fake-haughty intro post here about "on the blessèd day of ninth April 1978, Reignchel Lordren Slayvens was born," but I lost interest and we all know why we're here, so let's just get down to it, shall we?

Rate each of these songs out of 10. Half-points are allowed. We're going with the reissue of Funky Dory because that's what's on Spotify, but I'm not including the remix of Some Girls because that's a bit pointless 'to be honest'. PM your votes to me by 11:59pm Eastern time October 3 (4:30am London time / 3:30am GMT, October 4). Easiest thing is probably to just copy and paste the list below and put your scores next to each song. Commentary is also welcome and appreciated!

FUNKY DORY
Spotify | YouTube
1. Some Girls
2. Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex
3. Funky Dory
4. Fools
5. Breathe In Breathe Out
6. Glide
7. Heaven Has to Wait
8. More, More, More
9. Blue Afternoon
10. I Got the Money
11. Little Secret
12. Solid
13. Silk

COME AND GET IT
Spotify | YouTube
1. So Good
2. I Said Never Again
3. Crazy Boys
4. I Will Be There
5. Negotiate with Love
6. It's All About Me
7. Secret Garden
8. Nothing Good About...
(track 9 is Some Girls and we've already done that one)
10. Je M'appelle
11. Funny How
12. Every Little Thing
13. Dumb Dumb

B-SIDES
- Knock on Wood
- Spin That Bottle
- Shoulda Thought of That
- Queen
- Never Go Back
- Waiting Game

And before anyone asks, no, we are not rating Tasty Tunes, because this is a music forum, and we are here to discuss music, not sad marketing gimmicks. With one exception, of course.

Last edited:
Results:

31. I Got the Money - 4.224
30. Blue Afternoon - 4.948
29. More, More, More - 5.069
28. Heaven Has to Wait - 5.328
27. Little Secret - 5.345
26. Solid - 5.586
25. Knock on Wood - 5.759
24. Glide - 5.966
23. Shoulda Thought of That - 6.161
22. Silk - 6.224

T20. Spin That Bottle - 6.232
T20. Never Go Back - 6.232
19. Breathe In Breathe Out - 6.241
18. Fools - 6.845
17. Queen - 7.143
16. Secret Garden - 7.207
15. It's All About Me - 7.241
14. Je M'appelle - 7.379
13. Funky Dory - 7.397
12. Every Little Thing - 7.586
11. Waiting Game - 7.704

10. Funny How - 7.914
9. I Will Be There - 8.086
8. Dumb Dumb - 8.138
7. Crazy Boys - 8.276
6. Negotiate with Love - 8.534
5. Nothing Good About This Goodbye - 8.897
4. So Good - 9.103
3. Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex - 9.118
2. I Said Never Again (But Here We Are) - 9.279
1. Some Girls - 9.309

Original Participants:

Aester
Call My Name
cleggar
Conan
CorgiCorgiCorgi
Daniel!
fancygreen
Filler
GhettoPrincess
If_You_Go
imaduck
Island
JDS
Laura Vanderbooben
Lost in Japan.
marie_05
MarkB
MollieSwift21
Mushroom
neverleftagirl
P'NutButter
PopZeitgeist
Remorque
Rhombus
Robsolete
soratami
Txetxu
tylerc904

Top Five Participants:

Booers
Jordananan
Seanie
unnameable
Utopia

Last edited:
The shade in that first sentence nearly put me off this whole thing!

But I shall vote later today... with my haughty opinions alongside some of them.

D

Deleted member 3416

Just voted, I forgot how weak the first album was. The singles are generally all still strong and there's some gems on Come and Get It of course.

The shade in that first sentence nearly put me off this whole thing!

But I shall vote later today... with my haughty opinions alongside some of them.

Huh? I wasn't trying to shade anyone, just poke fun at myself for my inability to say things like that without sounding ridiculous.

This is going to be so exciting! Come and Get It remains one of the most underrated gems of the 00s. Pure pop bliss.

he/him
I forgot how awful the album version of More, More, More was. I shall rate the bop of a single mix instead.

I forgot how awful the album version of More, More, More was. I shall rate the bop of a single mix instead.

THERE IS A SINGLE MIX?! Nobody ever told me this. *fumes quietly*

That reminds me though, if anyone is more familiar with the original mixes of Funky Dory and Breathe In Breathe Out than the reissue mixes and feels strongly about them, feel free to score those instead. I'm just not putting both versions in since Funky Dory is nearly identical, and Breathe In Breathe Out is pretty similar too, so I don't expect it'd make anyone's scores different.

Done.

Except from a couple of truly awful album tracks, Rachel has a decent music catalogue.

You and I seem to hate one of the same tracks. Shame neither you nor anyone else so far* hates my only zero.

*though I've only gotten four votes, which ain't bad for under 24 hours

D

Deleted member 3416

Oooh I'm intrigued, is it a track from the debut album? It has to be. I think my lowest score was 2.

It's a B-side. I gave six 10's, by the way. Average of 7.077 to Funky Dory, 8.231 to Come and Get It, 5.00 to the B-sides, and 7.065 overall.

Your lowest score was a 1, to the same track P'Nut and I slated. It is, at this moment (and as I said, it is VERY early), the only song below a 4.0.

Island

Staff member
YEEES! A Rachel Stevens rate! Come and Get It is amazing! 'I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)' for the win please!

Going to do this very soon. I'll have to try to get through Funky Dory.

YEEES! A Rachel Stevens rate! Come and Get It is amazing! 'I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)' for the win please!

Going to do this very soon. I'll have to try to get through Funky Dory.

I Said Never Again (But Here We Are) + Sweet Dreams My LA Ex for top two, please.

Funky Dory the song is amazing. Are there 2 versions, or does it just sound different on my shitty laptop speakers? I've never heard the (inferior) mix linked above, only the reissue version.