Rachel Stevens | Page 241 | The Popjustice Forum

Rachel Stevens

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by futureshokk, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Why is Blue Afternoon listed as a single on Wikipedia?
    Was it planned before More, More, More happened?
    It doesn't exactly scream single?

2. Someone having a laugh, clearly?

upu and Mvnl like this.
  3. I love whoever took the time to edit that, bless. It is not anywhere near single worthy but it's very cute in its evening cocktail reception realness.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  4. That’s new. And they couldn’t have at least added back the re-release singles? That page is lawless.

5. Are we ready to acknowledge ‘Silk’ as one of Rachel’s best songs?

I think we should have that conversation.

6. Always thought that. It's sublime and a perfect album closer. Gets me every time.

7. I think I'm finally ready to ask ''what is a funky dory''?

Mvnl and LPMA like this.
  8. A play on the phrase “hunky dory” (which means something is “fine” or “going well”) to strengthen the David Bowie connection considering they sampled his song “Andy Warhol” from the album Hunky Dory. “Funky dory” is basically based on the word “funky” meaning “modern and stylish in an unconventional or striking way.” (As evident by the lyrics “you’re a work of pop art, wanna hang you on the wall”).

Baby, that’s all.

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Just yesterday I was listening to Sweet Dreams My LA Ex and suddenly wondering if there's some pun in the title I always missed. Like.. does LAX mean anything? (Or maybe there really isn't more to it than an ex from LA which is just fine too)

10. Los Angeles Airport is also known as LA X.

11. Aah thank you so much. It's been 84 years of loving this song, I finally know what it means hahaha.

sometimesxtc likes this.
  12. What a legacy.

Rei Ayanami, 2014, pmas and 4 others like this.
  13. I wouldn't sweat it. I don't know why but the title has always bugged me. I just... never thought it worked that well as a pun to begin with. Perhaps if the airport code was JT-something then fair enough, but as it is seems like a bit of a reach/mouthful.

On the other hand, Funky Dory is a very clever lyric and much better song.

14. This one?

jbond88, OlliMaus, j267 and 1 other person like this.
  15. I am STILL mad the extended mixes of “Some Girls” and “So Good” were left to rot on Promo CDs (and, even though the superior Jewels & Stone Extended Mix of “I Said Never Again” was released, it was only released on vinyl while the awful Bimbo Jones was on CD2. Abysmal decisions!).

nlad90, AndrewX, lushLuck and 2 others like this.
  16. I have ascended.

pmas, jbond88 and Mvnl like this.
  17. That's the one!

18. Ok, not LAX being described as a ‘popular Los Angeles airport’.

sometimesxtc, Sexbox, pmas and 3 others like this.
  19. Get this on your 1000 page long list of tracks to use your skills to get on Spotify @aquaplex!

lushLuck and j267 like this.
  20. Oh I raised all the Rachel Steven’s singles that had previously been on digital with the label a couple
    Of months back!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.