Random Eurovision Thoughts | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Random Eurovision Thoughts

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by NecessaryVoodoo, Mar 23, 2017.

1. TWO COSTUME REVEALS BYE

constantino and WowWowWowWow like this.
  2. TWO AND A HALF COSTUME REVEALS BYE

constantino and WowWowWowWow like this.
  3. I heard 'Greek' and 'reveal'...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Square, A&E, phily693 and 3 others like this.
  4. What about Russia-inspired?

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  5. They really tried everything in the mid-2000's, didn't they?

Balkan!

Spanish!

Balkan-specific!

Italian / Whatever the hell this was!

Literally made up languages!

Square and Txetxu like this.
  6. This also reminded me of the most pointless pop star in Swedish history; Bosson.

Most baffling of all is perhaps why Magnus Carlsson thought it was a good idea to nick the choreography "rock back and forth while snapping your fingers" for Live Forever two years later..

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  7. Who doesn't rock the move at 0:28 in the klerb? And 2:38. My ears.

I enjoy that, after "Efharisto" crashed out in Andra Chansen, the songwriters basically sent the same exact song a few years later.

But for this performance, let's bite some of Helena Paparizou's Eurovision staging!

I know it's not unique to Melodifestivalen / Eurovision that songwriters often have songs that mimic each other, but it just feels so blatant at times.

8. Not when Bosson indirectly contributed to one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history.

stevo_1988 likes this.
  9. Just in case y'all are interested, I accidentally found out Loic Nottet released his debut album on Friday!

It's good, if a little... self-important and Natalia Kills esque.

Word of advice: skip that intro track, girls.

[​IMG]

10. YAS I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

It's very Sia 2.0 too, which isn't surprising given that I think he's covered pretty much her whole back catalogue when he performs live.

[​IMG]

A&E, Island, KamikazeHeart and 2 others like this.
  11. He's doing a gig in London for £11 later this month.

Might go for a kii and report back x

12. And don't forget Brazil!

13. NOT @Me discovering 11 years later that this song was cowritten by Kleerup....

Square and KamikazeHeart like this.
  14. Great thread this .. and when I am not stuck at work one I shall be contributing lots to!

15. I've always been a Eurovision fan but really got in to it around 2003. It's fascinating how much it's changed in 15 years. During the mid-00s it was all about having a gimmick to stand out and everything very much played into the stereotype of what Eurovision was. I loved a good gimmick, I was big Lordi fan! But it seemed like for a while it maybe wasn't a cool thing to like, it was only liked by the LGBT community because of its theatrics, campness and straight up pop.

However I think the big turning point was Euphoria. It's always been about the music but suddenly it was accepted and cool to like a Eurovision song. And it's no coincidence that ever since the quality of entries has increased dramatically. Just look at this year, FYR Macedonia could easily be on the radio. Fucking Macedonia of all places! As could Bulgaria's entry this year and last year. Maybe it's the increased influence of streaming and so everyone is upping their game but it somewhat feels less zany than before. We still have gimmicks but they're incorporated well into the polished performances. Maybe Europe's tastes have become a bit more gloabalised?

Whatever the case, we've been spoilt for choice the last few years. That's something I couldn't have said even 10 years ago (with that awful Serbian song). I was never embarrassed to say I was a Eurovision fan but I'm proud to see so many more people join in the party and enjoy it for what it is.

Robsolete, Txetxu, Wishlight and 7 others like this.
  16. HRH

HRH

I actually think the last decade has been a bit shit, winners-wise. Apart from 2010 and 2012, obviously. I can barely even recall the tune to Azerbaijan's, Austria's was more about Conchita and less about the song, I don't think "Heroes" is going to be remembered for anything but the sight of Mans in leather trousers, and Jamala....

I miss the 00s. Sertab, Ruslana, Helena... apart from that minor blip in 2006, what a fantastic few years! But I will say, 2017 is the closest we've come to replicating the bop-fest that was 2004.

17. Recent winners don't have much of classic/evergreen potential but they are very current to the year they're winning.

18. In terms of overall strength and quality, 2012 and 2016 were in a league of their own...00s years obviously had their bops but in terms of the songs themselves, I'd say I prefer Eurovision post-Euphoria.

19. HRH

HRH

2004 had Ruslana! Sakis! Barbra Streisand! Anjeza! And of course...

20. Where I grew up is in a valley beside a wood, so when my mum decided to get rid of the 30 foot eyesore of a television in our backyard, we had no TV for over a year. I had to deal with trying to stream the 2003 contest on a 56k connection. Needless to say, it was not a success for me, so I had to follow what was happening via messageboards. I was devastated when t.A.T.u lost, until I finally saw their performance.

HRH likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.