Random Pop Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My December is still one of my favorite albums ever. The way it fluctuates between anger and blame, both for the self and for others, to the introspection and understanding that comes with allowing perspective is so refreshing. As an album, it exists almost entirely in the darkest parts of the mind but it makes a dialogue within that. There's a sense that all the demons are being exorcised and embraced in equal measure. It feels like one of the few truly honest albums released by a mainstream pop star, and not necessarily in an 'artistic vision' sort of way (a la Born This Way) but more in its confessional nature. It feels even more poignant because these fears manifested and blossomed at the height of celebrity. It's such a beautiful album because it is essentially saying that regardless of where you are or what you have accomplished, you cannot escape yourself.

My December is still one of my favorite albums ever. The way it fluctuates between anger and blame, both for the self and for others, to the introspection and understanding that comes with allowing perspective is so refreshing. As an album, it exists almost entirely in the darkest parts of the mind but it makes a dialogue within that. There's a sense that all the demons are being exorcised and embraced in equal measure. It feels like one of the few truly honest albums released by a mainstream pop star, and not necessarily in an 'artistic vision' sort of way (a la Born This Way) but more in its confessional nature. It feels even more poignant because these fears manifested and blossomed at the height of celebrity. It's such a beautiful album because it is essentially saying that regardless of where you are or what you have accomplished, you cannot escape yourself.

Why is this so perfect? Why are you so perfect? I can even forgive you the Born This Way sort of jab, because everything else you said is so awesome, so transcendent, I'm in awe. Really.

Staff member

Perfect summer song. This in a playlist with Run Away With Me, REALITi, 2Shy and Lonely Town is just doing things to me.

I've been listening to both 'Thank U' & 'Mary Jane' lately. Both are very important songs to me, so I'm basically in love with you right now.

For me, 'Mary Jane' and 'Would Not Come' are two sides of the same coin. One takes the girl from the outside-looking-in (Mary Jane), and the other, is of course, the struggle from the perspective of the girl herself (Would Not Come). I also think it's really interesting that in both songs, as well as countless others (That I Would Be Good, Thank U), you can see the hallmarks of her eating disorders too, but it's always mentioned in a somewhat indirect fashion. Very powerful.

Sorry to spam the thread w/ Alanis praise, but I love the lyric you quoted. I can pretty much throw on ANY Alanis song & at least one of the lines will resonate with me & put all my shit into perspective. She's so underrated.

This is true. I think 'The Couch' and 'Perfect' are two songs that speak to me more than any others (besides 'Under The Ivy' by Kate Bush).

2994121348.jpg

Reggae icons etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.