Random Thoughts | Page 1739 | The Popjustice Forum

Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Remember when Keke Palmer made a couple points?

Andy French and inevitable like this.
  3. SZA really wasn't ever that comparable to Tinashe... like, ever. Maybe you could draw a comparison between their homespun mixtape-producing roots, but even then there's a pretty big genre distinction when Tinashe's early music was firmly R&B, and SZA's could probably be classified as synth-pop for the most part. Their career paths have been incredibly different, and I don't think they've ever been aiming for similar things.

Normani on the other hand is a very natural comparison to Tinashe. Singer/Dancer double-threats, clearly aiming for Pop-success, while embracing moodier, deeper R&B artistry as well (I'd argue Tinashe does a way more sophisticated job of the later, but obviously she has the benefit of an actual catalog to back that up).

I think the narrative spun around Normani's solo potential since the dissolution of Cinq Harmonié was hyperbolic, and maybe even suffocating for her (like damn, maybe let the good sis get an album out before we name her Beyoncé 2) but she's proving herself! My most critical though about her is that I personally find her vocals lack character for my taste.

I think as a devoted, card-holding Sweet T™, it does legitimately kind of sting to see a similar artist met with such open arms from the general public, especially when it's only her second solo single. Tinashe's major label stint was a victim of horrible music being released at times, sure, but it was also a victim of such cruel circumstance where everything should have worked but it didn't, multiple times. My hope is that she'll strike some kind of chord with a comeback now that the creative control lies in her hand. The music will be quality no matter what.

Black women deserve more chances in the music industry, duh. They deserve the freedom to flop once or twice, and not have their albums shelved for 3-years and all their creative freedom stripped. I sincerely hope that isn't Normani's fate, because it would be despicable. I think it comes down to the fact that all artists should be given the room to just fucking breathe a bit too. Look at what time and experience did for Lizzo!

That's the TeaNashe, kids.

[​IMG]

4. Enemiez still dooms my pussy to the shadow realm and would have made an excellent Tinashe single over Player but WE DON'T SAY THAT

[​IMG]

Subwaykid, enjoy, Andy French and 8 others like this.
  5. Yessss. Although Player (Solo Version) is still an ice cold bop. We love a delayed chorus.

Remember when Rihanna stole Tinashe's title track?
    [​IMG]

Subwaykid, enjoy, papatrick and 7 others like this.
  6. Oh man this hurts my heart.

7. This is so pure, I'm obsessed.

Andy French, Suburbia and 2014 like this.

8. This still slaps so fucking hard.

9. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

Yeah one of my best (only) friends in my office is moving back to Nigeria because the home office kept fucking about with whether or not to approve her working visa so she basically gave up and decided to go home. The Brexit teas of it all got me feeling some kind of way last night!

Kuhleezi and aaronhansome like this.
  10. I can’t stop thinking about this tweet

11. Not sza praise

Speak up mush mouth mica

Laura Vanderbooben and Mr.Arroz like this.

12. and I oop

constantino, Floppie, enjoy and 42 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    Should have happened about eight years ago.

stuaw, ohaimanabu and andru like this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. [​IMG]

constantino, Island, stuaw and 10 others like this.
  16. Throwback to 2015 when my parents convinced my socially anxious agoraphobic ass to come on a trip to London with the promise that we'd see the Kylie waxwork. We got to the music bit and she was nowhere to be found.

Thank god Madonna was there at least, otherwise I'd probably have had a mental breakdown there and then.

17. All my thoughts for the last 24 hours.[​IMG]

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Cheryl hating is so old dddd

Floppie, LP and Subspace88 like this.
  19. RJF

RJF

Wow my life in a sentence.

20. Looking up Cheryl Ann’s waxwork remembering it being one of the only decent looking ones around...

[​IMG]

...only to find it was given a subsequent ‘makeover’ into... 2005 Anne Hathaway?

[​IMG]

Okay melt it

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.