Random Thoughts | Page 3004 | The Popjustice Forum

Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 has to be a contender. Not my personal favourite of Janet’s albums, but, whew. Seven US top 5 singles including four number 1s, 12 million+ copies sold worldwide, and groundbreaking music videos including a 30 minute long-form piece, all from a concept album addressing both the personal and the political? Not everybody has THAT.

[​IMG]

2. Favourite album campaigns?

Stripped – "Dirrty" being the sound of someone's arrival, while she literally sang "it's about time for my arrival"... I felt that. Every video having a different aesthetic, every single having a different sound. She was loud, abrasive, unapologetic, divisive, vulnerable, open... while the world, and my own family, made jokes about her looks and called her a 'slut' etc. I just listened to that album on repeat in my bedroom and thought she was the coolest woman on Earth. The dichotomy between being fun and jocose while also discussing domestic abuse, self-worth and women's choices. The campaign culminating with her EMAs hosting gig was also genuinely iconic. One of the rare occasions where a popstar took an awards show host gig and used the platform as basically her dressing up soapbox for two hours and gave the tabloids material for days.

I love The Velvet Rope for the same reasons but I didn't live through it and it wasn't part of my teen awakening so I'll let someone else take that one.

3. still waiting for this BOP to leak in full

ohaimanabu likes this.
  4. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Not one mention of Thank U, Next?

The lead dropping out of nowhere and sending the internet into a frenzy in the middle of the night? How it came after a blockbuster era and then managed to be even more of a blockbuster? The way she teetered on overexposure throughout the whole era but maintained an iron grip of the zeitgeist instead? The sheer number of additions to the lexicon it introduced (one taught me love...I want it I got it...BDE)? The oversized sweater and high pony trend? The way it cemented her as the pop girl? And the HITS:

Positions out 10/22

[​IMG]

5. Best album campaign? Hmmmm.

[​IMG]

6. Best album campaign?

daydream era lmao

7. The amount of sectarian posts that appeared on my Facebook this morning/yesterday. I hate football.

8. the gays really gassed her up too much...

9. ah, memories of weekends out in my mid-20s

lushLuck and Vasilios like this.
  10. I hate living in a country the size of a large village. Our main news story for five days now has genuinely been a fecking town searching for it's lost dolphin.

With the way we've all handled 2020, I can't blame him for yeeting out of here.

[​IMG]

lushLuck and LPT like this.

11. The Nicola Roberts vibrato has me finished

12. That was awful. Sounds like someone’s grandma at karaoke.

13. That's cause it is.

LPT, Floppie, FridayNight and 7 others like this.
    lushLuck likes this.
  15. You should see what she did to Everytime. Poor thing.

16. PJustice bullies a pop girl part 2029384958912

[​IMG]

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.