Random Thoughts | Page 3835 | The Popjustice Forum

Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

What would be the good-faith interpretation of it?

2. That it was dragging a shitty RuPaul song for sounding like a bad Sophie rip-off.

3. Inland Empire

No I got that bit. Still doesn't make it anywhere near acceptable.

Here's the actual post verbatim if anyone wants to see it:
    [​IMG]

4. Would a phrase like "so-and-so is spinning in their grave" be deemed not acceptable by the powers that be as well?

FridayNight, Blond, Jwentz and 3 others like this.
  5. How does RuPaul have fracking money and still make videos like that gjdkdw

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  6. Inland Empire

Frankly, if it was used just one year after the event, I wouldn’t be a huge fan of that either. But at least that phrase has been in common usage for years and doesn’t have such an impact anymore - which raises the question of why he didn’t just use it instead.

7. Inland Empire

Also? I don't think y'all realise that SOPHIE's death exists in a whole different context than most. Trans deaths in general do. 41% of us attempt suicide in our lifetimes, and that figure is literally used as a transphobic dogwhistle with the intention of causing more suicides. If it's not suicide that kills us, it's poverty as a result of systemic oppression. If it's not poverty, it's transphobic assault. If it's not assault, it's medical discrimination. If it's not medical discrimination, it's a random freak accident because just having one of your community live past their 30s is apparently too much to fucking ask. I honestly don't think I can even explain to cis people how collectively traumatic it was to see an open transfem supersede almost every layer of the real-life Squid Game and have a successful career as a producer...and then still die young anyway because of sheer bad luck.

So yeah, we took it as a little more than just an offhand "turning in one's grave" gag. Sorry if that seems harsh, but unfortunately all the nice forgiving transfemmes got genocided and now you're stuck with bitter hags like me.

8. I think it's fair to say that the wording was purposefully inflammatory, even if the intent wasn't bad.

There's probably a conversation to be had about the next logical step in forum moderation and how there's no clear points / warning system in place (what kind of posts warrant what length of punishment, what types of warnings are given, etc.) if the good sis Kin wanted to contest the length of his ban, etc, but then that probably will move the conversation over into how there's also a kind of a lack of any formal system in place because the moderation is much more self-governing than elsewhere and that such leeway vs harshness when action is taken is the trade-off.

I don't even think the forum software has the capacity for a points system? ddd

9. I decided to listen to Ray of Light in full and now I've fallen down a complete Madonna rabbit hole and suddenly I'm on my second bottle of wine

Alenko, Andy French and Maki like this.
  10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The forum does allow for a points system, but it’s hard to provide a ladder of offensiveness and assign points accordingly because frankly how do you even start with that?

(For what it’s worth, he has had PMs, warnings, points, the works. I get that trolling is his “brand” but we had to decide whether we’d accept that from another user. You don’t get a free pass for being a “main character”.)

Also, those of you telling a trans woman whether or not a joke about a trans woman’s death is offensive: uh, can you hear yourselves?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  11. ... we're about to get new twigs and Utada albums not even one week apart from each other.

[​IMG]

ohaimanabu, tea, Kyle. and 6 others like this.
  12. About as ok as one can be given the circumstances. Thank you.

FridayNight, Dijah., tea and 14 others like this.
  13. Sending hugs, joe_alouder. That sounds absolutely awful, don't think I'd have your strength.

Inland Empire likes this.
  14. strangekin has proved time and time again he's not a good person nor does he actually contribute anything meaningful or worthwhile to the forum outside of his edgelord brand of "humor". He should've been banned ages ago. How is the stuff he's said okay simply because he might be your friend?

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

If you're willing to dismiss people as "NPCs" or "the gals who barely even give side quests" it says a lot about how much you value the people you don't already know and like. Maybe think about what the logical extension of "my friends are the only people that matter" is when applied at a larger societal level.

This forum is meant to be a safe space for all of us, including people who don't post in Random Thoughts (many of whom - including a lot of people who aren't white cis gays with English as a first language - don't post in Random Thoughts specifically because they don't think of this thread as being a safe space for them). By all means have your kiis within reason, but just because you don't move in the same forum circles as someone doesn't mean they're not just as important as you are. I promise you there are people in other corners of the forum who post regularly but have literally no idea you exist and do not care. They're just as relevant and integral to this forum as you are.

16. Calling people NPCs… r/joerogan user teas fff

17. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Also, whomever was so offended~ by the banning came to my Instagram and called me a "shit-skinned fag". Me. Out of all the mods.

This site is a safe space for all people; the principle of this site is to provide a place where people can feel comfortable, understood, and respected. If you think it's your right to have your identity privileged amongst others, then please go to a subreddit. We have and will continue to ban anyone that takes away the right for other people to not feel uncomfortable on this website. You are not being censored on Popjustice.com just like Twitter.com. This is a private domain, and if you object to the rules and guidelines set by Peter Robinson, then by all means, find a new place to spread the shallow depths of your mentality.

18. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

If anyone feels the need to discuss inner workings or have questions about moderation decisions, please please please send a PM. Direct conversation can solve so many issues and we aren’t some shadowy group. Transparency is my main goal. The ban was reached after a long discussion and a panel decision by the mod teams. We aren’t just acting on whims here people!

Also, if anyone chooses to harass anyone from the forum, mod or not, here or outside, please expect your account to be swiftly deleted.

19. I was just thinking more-so of how other forums (ATRL dddd) have a clear outlined system written out that x, y and z are warnable behavior, that the accumulation of 10 points results in an x-length amount of time banned, that posts that veer away from just trolling and into offensive behavior are worth more and may result in bans for lengths of time themselves, be it a week or day, etc.

That the lack of such written out is possibly the one area where he could make an argument re: the length of the ban itself, but at the end of the day, the lack of such largely speaks to the leeway already given in the name of the unique ~character of the forum where certain actions are understood as done in good fun (turning an Ed Sheeran thread into 8 pages of off topic posts, for example), and that it is largely navigable to be funny and yet still considerate and in good taste, and that reasons fo bans are most often self-evident and clear for why such was wrong.

20. Okay to be fair to me I hadn't even read the post so I was just talking out of my ass as usual!! I totally hear you @londonrain

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.