Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me) | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WowWowWowWow, Mar 27, 2022.

1. There's some girls who do not deserve their place in the top 40.

2. Once again, one of the best Medina tracks has been eliminated. Hope my two Medina 10's left aren't next.

'Let Me Think About It' going out now is a travesty. If a DJ puts it on, I will need space to fully show my appreciation for this absolutely banging tune.

Oh Land – “Sun Of A Gun”

Average: 8.2083

Charts: DK #31
    Popjustice History: 26th in @soratami Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore Side B

@DJHazey
    Always love a cute little chorus that floats on effortlessly. Sounds like she would fit well in a Quirky Pop setlist.

@unnameable
    She really deserved to have more songs in this rate.

@daninternational
    Oh Land’s music never really had much impact on me, but it’s always enjoyable while it is on at least

@berserkboi
    Nice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medina – “Velkommen til Medina”

Average: 8.2182

Charts: DK #1 (5 weeks)

I always liked this live performance:

@DJHazey
    Transitioned from sexy to kind of a mess.

@unnameable
    One of my favourites by her.

@daninternational
    Love it in both versions, and she is definitely someone who deserves a formal introduction through an absolute banger

@berserkboi
    Chaos Bop!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alphabeat – “I Don’t Know What’s Cool Anymore”

Average: 8.2333

@DJHazey
    Thanks for reminding me that I’m officially middle-aged now, making this so relateable.

@BubblegumBoy
    Shame the rest of the album is a dud...

@daninternational
    Something at last to bring up the Alphabeat average

@berserkboi
    Nice but a little samey!

Infernal – “Downtown Boys”

Average: 8.2417
    11: @WowWowWowWow

Charts: DK #2

The first 45 seconds of this song are a distillation of everything that I love about Infernal. The theatrics, the intensity, the drama of it all.

MuuMuse said it best: “Infernal just doesn’t know when to quit…Thank God.”

And yet...

@DJHazey
    Pretty clunky and unremarkable as a result. I know this will probably be #unpopularopinion.thread

@daninternational
    There are better downtown/uptown songs

@berserkboi
    At least a 9 on all the Paw content ddd​

4. This Oh Land track would've been a 10

5. I gave 'Son Of A Gun' 10. But 'White Nights' is also a 10. There's a lot of 10's on the 'Oh Land' album.

I also gave 'Son...' my 11 in the Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore Side B.

6. It was time for 'Velkommen' to go.

'I Don't Know What's Cool Anymore' is definitely relatable, but I don't think I ever did know.

'Downtown Boy' is not the first Infernal song that should've left (but then it is one of 6 10's).

Svenstrup & Vendelboe feat. Nadia Malm – “Dybt vand”

Average: 8.2545

Charts: DK #1 (1 week)

@DJHazey
    Sexy woman singing over killer house beats? Okay, serve.

@daninternational
    Wish it went more balls out like Medina/Infernal. But still bops

@berserkboi
    FL Boppiness!

Sukkerchok – “Det det”

Average: 8.2636

Charts: DK #5
    Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2009: Top 4, but lost semi-final duel
    Popjustice History: 24th in PJ00s 8

@DJHazey
    Almost a bit too cutesy for its own good and the repeated “det det” becomes annoying which obviously wasn’t the goal.

@daninternational
    BOP! Can’t believe Denmark chose that walnut over this (well, Hera Björk). And Sukkerchok got me my best PJ00s result <3

@berserkboi
    Boppy Sugababes Version Quatro!

Infernal – “Can’t Go Back”

Average: 8.275

Charts: DK #29

@DJHazey
    The biggest new discovery for Infernal here. Just sets the needle to ‘slay’ on the word go and never lets up.

@daninternational
    Possibly their weakest in this selection. It isn’t bad, but it doesn’t hit their greatest heights

@berserkboi
    Nice but not up there with their best!

Alphabeat – “Fascination”

Average: 8.2833

Charts: BE/VL #2; UK #6; NL #8; SE #38

@DJHazey
    Another soundtracky one that’s extremely fun.

@Sprockrooster
    I barely listen to this, but doing now for the rate really showcases how I underappreciated this.

@BubblegumBoy
    I know this is a classic but it ain’t all that

@daninternational
    When this song came out it just really annoyed me, and was super overplayed. I used to leave the dancefloor when it came on even ddd. While it’s aged ok, the ‘the word is on your lips bit’ still makes my skin crawl.

@berserkboi
    Mega bop!

Electric Lady Lab – “You & Me”

Average: 8.3167

Charts: DK #2

@DJHazey
    Their only misstep here. I like the Culture Beat sample of course; I just expected more would be done with it.

@unnameable
    Turning that dance banger into a Robyn-esque sad banger is quite an achiever.

@BubblegumBoy
    Way to ruin a great sample...

@daninternational
    The first track of theirs I ever heard, and still the best.

@berserkboi
    Another iconic sample, with not quite enough done with it?​

8. 'Dybt Vand' is my favourite Danish language song in the rate (10), and 'Det Det' is fourth favourite Danish (9.2).

'Can't Go Back' is my least favourite Infernal song in the rate, but got 8.5.

'Fascination' is so effervescent and makes me smile. Love the video (Troels the drummer looks so cute).

I see that the usage of the sample in 'You & Me' is quite divisive, but I think it's great. I really like the lyrics, and the vibe reminds me of 'Missing' by Everything But The Girl.

Untouchable Ace and WowWowWowWow like this.
  9. #30 (TIE)
    Medina – “In And Out Of Love”

Average: 8.3333

Popjustice History: #5 in PJSC 100

@DJHazey
    Songs to Make You Wigless - The Soundtrack

@daninternational
    Killer verses and prechorus are slightly let down by the chorus, but a retrun to form from her and I’m surprised I haven’t hammered this more

@berserkboi
    Nice stuff

#30 (TIE)
    Sannie – “Boys On Girls”

Average: 8.3333

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2018: Result unknown, but not among the top 3 finalists

Iconic live performance:

Call me, any/all male dancers!

@DJHazey
    A new subgenre: Orgybeat.

@daninternational
    New to me, a bit more vibey/Annie than most Danish pop which goes more all-out. And it is better for it, especially with the cute whistle hook

@berserkboi
    Basic AF lyrics but what a hook it creates!

Sukkerchok – “Kæmper for kærlighed”

Average: 8.3364

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2010: Result unknown, but not among the top 4 finalists

@DJHazey
    Hey, a proper girl group moment...even has the drumlines to live their Little Mix lives!

@daninternational
    If my translation skills are up to scratch: Cheryl Cole wishes. Again cruelly overlooked in MGP in favour of a song I absolutely despise (hopefully it does better here but can’t see it :( ).

@berserkboi
    Boppy

Emmelie DeForest – “Only Teardrops”

Average: 8.3667

Charts: DK #1 (2 weeks); CH #3; SE #3; NL #4; DE #5; AT #7; ES #8; NO #9; BE/VL #11; UK #15; FI #17; BE/WA #26
    Winner of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2013
    Winner of Eurovision 2013
    Popjustice History: 22nd in Eurovision Song Contest Winners Rate (1956-2018); 40th place in Ultimate Eurovision Justice 2010-2019

@DJHazey
    Makes me think Danish Celine Dion or Delta Goodrem delivering an upbeat hook.

@Sprockrooster
    The worst Eurovision winner of the 10s. It feels like mash of several other Eurovision songs but without a clear own signature and all the elements feel very disjointed.

@unnameable
    A deserved winner bringing the contest to Denmark!

@daninternational
    I remember watching DMGP that year, and this stood out as a clear winner. I got a little bored of it as it became obvious it was going to win ESC easily, but it has held the test of time better than other winners and gave us the excellent ESC 2014 to boot

@berserkboi
    Empty sentimentality isn’t a plus for me, soz!​

10. I always love it when the main performer is seemingly committed to doing as little choreography as possible while just standing in the same place. I haven't seen something this constrained since Marie Serneholt in 2012

Girl, you are allowed to move more than 4 steps away from where you were before.

11. I would love to hear 'In And Out Of Love' in a club setting because it is such a Bop.

Sorry but I'm just not a fan of 'Boys On Girls,' and have been waiting for it to leave for a while.

I'm surprised that 'Kæmper for kærlighed' was the last Danish language song standing, but I do like it a lot.

The studio version of Only Teardrops was getting a 9, but after watching the Eurovision performance again, which is so great, I bumped it up to a 9.5 (the very handsome piper helps).

12. Yes! I once had the great pleasure of being in the same building as him two times in the same night.

One time a little closer than the other tho.

13. Another whole bunch of reactions...

- Yay for my score bringing down the Fascination average, but Junior Senior is seriously still in??
    - Boo @ Electric Lady Lab You & Me. And it samples Snap! not Culture Beat @DJHazey
    - Sukkerchok performed well, but I was hoping they'd make it a bit higher and get a bit more spotlight, one of the best girlbands of the 2010s.
    - Also Emelie deserved a bit better from one of her 2 bops
    - Salt and Pepper (Marie Serneholt) BOP! Best MF song of that year
    - Is there anything DGMP left in?
    - Y'all really doing Medina dirty with Velkommen specifically.
    - Infernal finally losing some, and it was the right ones I think (sorry @WowWowWowWow !)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  14. oh now that only teardrops #justiceforigranka #justiceforgravity #justiceforberger is gone i have to find out something else to complain about!!

15. This but for "My Secret Lover" instead.

Not even close.

16. And on we go!

MØ – “Final Song”

Average: 8.4333
    11: @saviodxl

Charts: DK #4; NO #9; AT #11; AU #12; UK #14; DE #16; BE/WA #18; NL #19; NZ #20; CH #26; BE/VL #37; IT #38

@DJHazey
    I tend to recall other songs by her being far more enjoyable. I fear her name carries song like this further than they deserve to.

@daninternational
    Pre-gaming for Beychella to MØ is a forever-memory. This is deservedly her defining moment, and I was sad that it was her final song.

@berserkboi
    Sounds really dated somehow but BOP!

Medina – “The One” / “Vi to”

Average: 8.45

Charts: “Vi to”: DK #2

@DJHazey
    When the chorus kicks in, I’m sent to Jupiter.

@daninternational
    We’ll ignore the English version of this for our purposes, this is one of the rare occasions where the translation didn’t work. In Danish it’s a great ode to eating your favourite sashimi.

@berserkboi
    Better in FL

Electric Lady Lab – “Taking Off”

Average: 8.4667

Charts: DK #31

@DJHazey
    The kind of beat that saves lives.

@daninternational
    ELL do Paulini. The lack of sample means it’s one of their more basic bops.

@berserkboi
    Nice stuff!

Infernal – “Whenever You Need Me”

Average: 8.4917

Charts: DK #8

@DJHazey
    Oh geez, I forgot how much I wore this out back in the day. A tune. This back-to-back with Fragma’s “Everytime You Need Me”? *chefs kiss*

@daninternational
    Solid, but far from their best, most memorable from stealing the Cry for You hook

@berserkboi
    Paw is great!​

17. This page's eliminations are mostly a disaster!

I don't know why I thought it was Culture Beat instead of Snap! but I definitely didn't do a typo, it's what I thought for some reason.

In and Out of Love is losing one Medina's best songs, not the others we've lost.

It's funny that I forgot Oh Land was in the Quirky Pop Side B and just felt like it belonged in that rate. Just means its selection for that rate was merited.

Feel bad to have tanked @WowWowWowWow's 11.

18. Final Song robbed!

saviodxl, unnameable and WowWowWowWow like this.
  19. All remaining 11 scores are safe in this cut!

Infernal – “Redefinition”

Average: 8.5

@DJHazey
    Presentation is key. This is presented as an anthem and pops off because of it. Pair this with a number of Alcazar disco flag-bearers and Kylie’s Your Disco Needs You and you’re injecting life into any setting.

@Sprockrooster
    A defining song. I assumed they would be an act that would have one life-changing song. Yet this song has to settle as not even the best of Infernal while at the same time it has destroyed many other careers.

@daninternational
    Bold opening statement that is delivered to in a pure drama, meta BOP

@berserkboi
    Excellence! Giving Your Disco Needs You vibes too!

Alphabeat – “Hole In My Heart”

Average: 8.5167

Charts: UK #29

@DJHazey
    That “youuuu, you turn me me upside down” is hypnotizing; what a shame this isn’t on Spotify for me.

@daninternational
    There’s a decent song hidden in here

@berserkboi
    Bop still!

Ditte Marie – “Overflow”

Average: 8.5292

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2012: Ranking unknown, but not among the top 3 finalists

Later covered by Man Meadow

In case you did not already know, Ditte Marie was the lead singer for Le Freak (“25 Hours A Day”)

@DJHazey
    For fucks sake, please tell me this swept the Grand Prix and made noise in the main contest. If Agnes competed in one of these at the time, I imagine it would be like this.

@unnameable
    How come Denmark gets this for Eurovision and the UK gets....well, what we get.

@BubblegumBoy
    Blatant Robyn rip off but still a bop

@daninternational
    Missed the love for this in that MGP, but it has had staying power in ESC fan circles and I’ve come to appreciate it

@berserkboi
    Robyn is that you??​

20. Top 20 & Recap

Still in contention:

Alphabeat (3/10)
    “Boyfriend” / Pete Hammond Remix
    “DJ”
    “The Spell”

Infernal (6/10)
    “From Paris To Berlin”
    “I Won’t Be Crying”
    “Love Is All”
    “Self Control”
    “Ten Miles”
    “Weightless”

Medina (4/10)
    “Addiction”
    “Forever” / “For altid”
    “We Survive”
    “You & I” / “Kun for mig”

Melodi Grand Prix (0/10)

Christopher (0/5)

Electric Lady Lab (2/5)
    “Hurts”
    “Open Doors”

MØ (2/5)
    “Live To Survive”
    “New Moon”

Private (0/5)

Worldwide Hits (1/5)
    Junior Senior – “Move Your Feet”

And All The Rest (2/35)
    Christine Milton – “Superstar”
    Kato feat. Electric Lady Lab – “Alive”

Extras (0/15)

We’ve said goodbye to:

21) Ditte Marie – “Overflow” 8.5292
    22) Alphabeat – “Hole In My Heart” 8.5167
    23) Infernal – “Redefinition” 8.5
    24) Infernal – “Whenever You Need Me” 8.4917
    25) Electric Lady Lab – “Taking Off” 8.4667
    26) Medina – “The One” / “Vi to” 8.45
    27) MØ – “Final Song” 8.4333
    28) Emmelie DeForest – “Only Teardrops” 8.3667
    29) Sukkerchok – “Kæmper for kærlighed" 8.3364
    30) Medina – “In And Out Of Love” 8.3333
    30) Sannie – “Boys On Girls” 8.3333
    32) Electric Lady Lab – “You & Me” 8.3167
    33) Alphabeat – “Fascination” 8.2833
    34) Infernal – “Can’t Go Back” 8.275
    35) Sukkerchok – “Det det” 8.2636
    36) Svenstrup & Vendelboe feat. Nadia Malm – “Dybt vand” 8.2545
    37) Infernal – “Downtown Boys” 8.2417
    38) Alphabeat – “I Don’t Know What’s Cool Anymore” 8.2333
    39) Medina – “Velkommen til Medina” 8.2182
    40) Oh Land – “Sun Of A Gun” 8.2083
    41) Ida Corr – “Let Me Think About It (Fedde Le Grand Remix)” / Original 8.1917
    41) Medina – “Gutter” 8.1917
    43) Emmelie DeForest – “Rainmaker” 8.1833
    43) Private – “My Secret Lover (UK Radio Edit)” / Original 8.1833
    43) Stine Hjelm – “Fallen” 8.1833
    46) Rasmus Seebach – “Calling (Nighthawk)” / “Natteravn” 8.1667
    47) Burhan G – “Jeg vil ha’ dig for mig selv” 8.1636
    48) Medina – “Happening” / “Kl. 10” 8.1083
    49) Aqua – “Back To The 80s” 8.0917
    50) Fyr og Flamme – “Øve os på hinanden” 8.0818
    51) The Asteroids Galaxy Tour – “Heart Attack” 8.0667
    52) Medina – “Har du glemt” 8.0545
    53) Aqua – “How R U Doin?” 8.05
    54) Kate Hall – “I’m Not Alone” 8.0167
    55) Medina – “Lonely” / “Ensom” 8
    56) Sisse Marie – “Kill For Your Love” 7.975
    57) Alphabeat – “10,000 Nights” 7.9583
    57) Electric Lady Lab – “It’s Over Now” 7.9583
    59) Le Freak – “25 Hours A Day” 7.9542
    60) Medina – “Synd for dig” 7.9273
    61) Medina – “Junkie” (feat. Svenstrup & Vendelboe) 7.8875
    62) Quadron – “Hey Love” 7.8667
    63) Rasmus Seebach – “Så længe vi danser” 7.8636
    64) Whigfield – “As I Go” 7.8083
    65) Fallulah – “Out Of It” 7.7667
    66) A. Hampenberg & M. Breum feat. Stine Bramsen – “I Want You To Want Me Back” 7.7125
    67) Aqua – “Playmate To Jesus” 7.7
    68) Trine Jepsen – “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” 7.6667
    69) Private – “We Got Some Breaking Up To Do” 7.65
    70) Enur feat. Natasja – “Calabria 2007” 7.625
    71) Rasmus Seebach – “I mine øjne" 7.6182
    72) MØ – “Kamikaze” 7.6125
    73) Hampenberg feat. Jesper Nohrstedt – “Glorious” 7.5792
    74) Private – “Let’s Make Love (Underneath The Apple Tree)” 7.5583
    75) Carpark North – “Burn It” 7.5417
    76) Christopher – “Told You So” 7.5083
    77) Me & My – “Two Are Stronger Than One” 7.5
    78) Martin Jensen – “Solo Dance” 7.4917
    79) Thomas Holm – “Selvmord På Dansegulvet” 7.4455
    80) Alphabeat – “Shadows” 7.4250
    81) Anja Nissen – “Where I Am” 7.4083
    81) Private – “Crucify My Heart” 7.4083
    83) Martin – “Show The World” 7.4
    84) Private – “Waiting For Tonight” 7.3917
    85) Thomas Holm – “Byen kalder” 7.3818
    86) Alphabeat – “Love Sea” 7.3583
    87) Camille Jones – “The Creeps (Fedde Le Grand Remix)” / Original 7.325
    88) Christopher – “Real Life” 7.3083
    89) Mads Langer – “3AM” 7.2833
    90) Aura Dione – “Geronimo” 7.1917
    90) Daze – “Fool Me” 7.1917
    92) Nabiha – “Weapon” 7.1625
    93) Alphabeat – “Vacation” 7.15
    94) Chanée & N’Evergreen – “Sleepless” 7.1417
    95) Christopher – “The Chancer (Svidden Remix)” 7.1125
    96) MØ – “Nights With You” 7.0708
    97) Lucy Love – “Take Me Back” 6.8583
    98) Alexander Oscar – “Bad Intentions” 6.85
    99) Aura Dione – “In Love With The World” 6.775
    100) Volbeat – “Lola Montez” 6.7
    101) Kato feat. Infernal – “Speakers On” 6.6833
    102) Medina – “Rick Ross” 6.6091
    103) Scarlet Pleasure – “What A Life” 6.5917
    104) Rasmus Seebach – “Olivia” 6.4727
    105) Christopher – “Take Me Back” (vs. Matoma) 6.425
    106) Alphabeat feat. Herrelandsholdet – “Danmarks Dynamite” 6.2727
    107) Chanée & N’Evergreen – “In A Moment Like This” 6.1917
    108) Linkoban – “Popgun Track” 6.125
    109) Jesper Nohrstedt – “Take Our Hearts” 6.0667
    110) Faustix feat. Barbara Moleko – “Don’t U Worry” 5.9917
    111) The Raveonettes – “Heartbreak Stroll” 5.925
    112) Christopher – “Nothing In Common” 5.8917
    113) Aura Dione – “I Will Love You Monday” 5.8167
    114) Kongsted – “Whine Dat” 5.7833
    115) THANKS – “Dizzy” 5.4625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.