Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me) | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WowWowWowWow, Mar 27, 2022.

1. I discovered Crucify My Heart in a PJ00 side theme. @WowWowWowWow just isn't ready to send them yet.

Remorque, WowWowWowWow and berserkboi like this.
  2. I’m not sure why I thought they were vetoable in a main round, looks like most of the mentions of Private on the forum are related to Show (Britney) or Emotion (Meja & Ricky)!

3. I agree, Monogamy would've been an easy 10

4. Any last voters still working on their scores? Will start the countdown tonight if not. Kthx!

5. Time to get started on the eliminations! But first, MANGE TAK to our voters:

@Ana Raquel
    @berserkboi
    @BubblegumBoy
    @daninternational
    @DJHazey
    @Epic Chocolat
    @MilesAngel
    @saviodxl
    @Sprockrooster
    @unnameable
    @Untouchable Ace
    @WowWowWowWow

Looking at our average scores, we did not have anything below a 5.0 average and 91 of the 115 songs scored between 7 and 9. So I am going to try to post these eliminations in batches, so as to not belabor this any longer than necessary.

With that said, here are the first 5 cuts:

THANKS – “Dizzy”

Average: 5.465

@DJHazey
    *Tosses in trashcan* Yeah, that’s a no go.

@Sprockrooster
    What in the fresh hell. I was constantly thinking... when is that intro jingle in their music video ending? Only to find out the song had already begun?!

@daninternational
    New to me, it’s interesting but not sure I’d listen to it again. That chorus comes out of nowhere.

@berserkboi
    BOP!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kongsted – “Whine Dat”

Average: 5.7833

Charts: DK #11

@DJHazey
    The transitional instrumentals sound like a Twitch streamer’s “Stream Starting Soon” music.

@daninternational
    Was hoping for something like Etzia’s Bubble and Wine Up and it’s not bad actually

@berserkboi
    I thought this was put in just to go first but it isn’t actually the worst song here ddd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aura Dione – “I Will Love You Monday”

Average: 5.8167

Charts: DE #1 (2 weeks); CH #2; AT #2
    Popjustice History: 39th place in PJ00s 29

@DJHazey
    What a complete fail at sprinkling a little country in here.

@Epic Chocolat
    I prefer the version where she sings 365 days etc. I waited for that part during the whole song.

@daninternational
    The vocal affectations make this very ‘of its time’ and that was a long time ago now

@berserkboi
    OMG - she just has these iconic terrible lyrics as her signature, hey? HAHAHAHAHA

Christopher – “Nothing In Common”

Average: 5.8917

Charts: DK #5

@DJHazey
    One of those examples of “oh, was a song playing, I didn’t realize...”

@daninternational
    Oh wow this sounds like it was written for Britney’s first album. In a bad way.

@berserkboi
    As above (“Basic Pop Idol Single”)

The Raveonettes – “Heartbreak Stroll”

Average: 5.925

Charts: DK #3

@DJHazey
    Waiting for them to break out into “hey you! get off of my cloud”.

@daninternational
    This is just absolute noise to me (and I like plenty of rock sorry)

@berserkboi
    Bop!!​

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Faustix feat. Barbara Moleko – “Don’t U Worry”

Average: 5.9917

Charts: DK #40

@DJHazey
    Denmark has their own Sean Paul, how cute.

@BubblegumBoy
    Paloma-esque vocals but annoying production

@daninternational
    Barbara’s vocals deserve better than this weak repetitive track.

@berserkboi
    Chaos Affectation Bop!

Jesper Nohrstedt – “Take Our Hearts”

Average: 6.0667

Charts: DK #4
    Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2012: 2nd place

@DJHazey
    Not really something I would listen to repeatedly, but it is solid.

@Sprockrooster
    This is a bit lackluster and serving average German entry quite frankly. Maybe it is a song that is more in line sonically with the rest of the songs. But speaking of Danish male acts I would have suggested Brinck or A Friend In London. They are in my opinion the best Danish entries of all time.

@daninternational
    Like a cheesier version of those Swedish dance tracks from Avicii and the like

@berserkboi
    As above (“Empty sentimentality isn’t a plus for me, soz!”)

Linkoban – “Popgun Track”

Average: 6.125

Popjustice History: 17th in PJSC 10

Vice:

Linkoban, whose real name was Ling Ly, was well-known for her electro/grime stylings, and released the album Ox in 2013.

In October of 2014, she announced that she was suffering from an aggressive form of cancer. This time, she addressed her fans with the following: “A month ago, I found out that I have cancer. I am treatment, and am spending time with family and friends. (…) I’m writing this because I have a positive attitude, and am sure I’m going to beat this illness. I’m sorry to have to cancel shows, but I promise to double the trouble the next time we see each other. xLinko”

Since then, she has been receiving radiation treatment and chemotherapy, and a year later, in October of 2015, Danish doctors gave up trying to save the singer’s life. “The system can’t do anymore for me - now I’ll have to save myself. Are you with me or not? I can’t even begin to describe how furious I am.” Her friends and colleagues in the music industry organised a fundraising concert in Pumpehuset in Copenhagen with the proceeds going to funding an alternative treatment in Germany. The concert featured appearances from such artists as Suspekt, Jooks and AV AV AV. On the website Caremaker, around 170,000 Danish kroner was raised for the treatment of the Danish singer with Chinese/Vietnamese roots.

On February 18th, 2016, her friends and family announced on her Facebook page that Ling Ly had left this world behind: “We’re deeply thankful for all of your love and support of Ling, it has meant the world to her and all of us around her. She was a shining star and a fantastic person, and we hope that her memory and music will live on. - Ling’s family and friends.”

@DJHazey
    Definitely shoots for being a hype track. I’d say they’re going to be disappointed at the results of their hopium.

@daninternational
    New to me, and not doing anything new, but doing it well. Hope it sticks around

@berserkboi
    Last place on PJSC I’d have given some points to!

Chanée & N’Evergreen – “In A Moment Like This”

Average: 6.1917

Charts: DK #2; NO #5; CH #12; SE #21

Winner of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2010
    Eurovision 2010: 5th place in Semi-final 2; 4th place in Final

Popjustice History: 1st in Popjustice 12 Points Eurovision 2010; 36th in Ultimate Eurovision Justice 2010-2019

@DJHazey
    The crowd starts waving the flashlights on their phones.

@unnameable
    The chorus is very “love, love, peace, peace” but works well

@BubblegumBoy
    What in X Factor Winners single is this? I totally don’t remember this in the ESC

@daninternational
    I legitimately thing this is the worst song ever written. I despise every part of it with every ounce of my being.

@berserkboi
    Nice chorus but otherwise unmemorable

Alphabeat feat. Herrelandsholdet – “Danmarks Dynamite”

Average: 6.2727

Charts: DK #12

@DJHazey
    Everytime I say Denmark is a World Cup darkhorse, no one believes me.

@unnameable
    Better than Del Amitri’s “Don’t come home too soon”

@daninternational
    I’m one of the rare PJers who likes football and even I think this is awful

@berserkboi
    Football’s coming home!!!!​

Christopher – “Take Me Back” (vs. Matoma)

Average: 6.425

Charts: DK #16

@DJHazey
    Most of the songs by this Christopher guy sound like you could just tack them on to each other without missing a thing.

@daninternational
    Spotify pop is very hit and miss, this one misses

@berserkboi
    Short therefore better!

Rasmus Seebach – “Olivia”

Average: 6.4727

Charts: DK #1 (4 weeks)

@DJHazey
    I guess when there’s eclectic song list such as this one, there has to be a little but of everything, so all score types need to represented.

@daninternational
    Like his dad, he does better with bops then these sickly sweet odes

@berserkboi
    Bootiful!

Scarlet Pleasure – “What A Life”

Average: 6.5917

Charts: DK #5
    Featured in the Oscar-winning film “Another Round”

@DJHazey
    It’s a pretty chill song, but he sounds drunk.

@daninternational
    New to me, Ob la di ob la da goes techno-ish? Shouldn’t work but it does

@berserkboi
    Pretty good!

Medina – “Rick Ross”

Average: 6.6091

@DJHazey
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@daninternational
    Is this Danish for Rickroll? Interesting vibe but she should stick to the dance

@berserkboi
    Bop again!

I guess none of you are Medina's man, because here she tells us that her man has a swagger like Lil Wayne!

Kato feat. Infernal – “Speakers On”

Average: 6.6833

Charts: DK #2

@DJHazey
    I don’t know, I feel like she becomes a little overwhelmed by the instrumentals.

@daninternational
    Kato produced quite a bit of average mixed among some classics. An Infernal collab should’ve been much better

@berserkboi
    Love the berserkiness of that manic instrumental!​

8. Wow that was a lot of eliminations in a row!

Give me a second to take a breath and digest the key moments:

In A Moment Like This going before that (also) godawful football track is sheer PopJustice. The rate is already Excellence in Music.

Sad for a couple of new discoveries:
    Linkoban (also a sad story)
    Scarlet Pleasure
    Whine Dat

@WowWowWowWow I'm sure you have your reasons to try and get through the rate efficiently, but could I make a polite request for either 5 at a time multiple (different) times a day, or like 2-3 at a time in multiple posts at the same time. I wanna digest and discuss a little.

9. Not speakers on!! I gave it a 9.

Also how did In a Moment Like This finish in the top 5 and this sensation was out of the top 10
    [​IMG]

PopInjustice!

(and the way the continued in the top 5 the following year with an even worse song ddddd how)

10. Denmark at Eurovision in that period was the real dark days .... Brinck, N'Evergreen, A Friend in London ughhh

WowWowWowWow and Untouchable Ace like this.
  11. I'd like to call it revenge against the tragic flop of DQ! 2007 was such a good year though

Oh yeah, their past decade.................. I'm glad there is ~only~ Anja and Emmelie on this rate because I think these were the only entries that I somehow liked. Basim and his Bruno Mars reject from 2014 being my ""third favorite"" from 2008 to 2020 is somehow pretty telling.

12. We have not even started and you're making Aura Dione dirt?

All the others: nothing of value was lost etc

13. Yeah, I can't remember half of those to be honest!

@WowWowWowWow would we be able to see high and low scorers? Partly so draggings can happen! dd

14. I would be surprised if any those got more than a 6 from me. Well done.

15. Absolutely - I launched aggressively because this is the first time I've (co-)hosted a rate where I managed to get most of the prep work done from jump (instead of trying to write later eliminations while posting earlier ones). Things will settle out a bit from here.
    I will post the full scoresheet at the end - Honestly, I didn't keep track of high and low scores because there were so many high scores and so few low ones (more than 50% of the scores were 8 or higher, and roughly 5% of the scores were lower than 5), so I'm not sure those data would be particularly informative.

Volbeat – “Lola Montez”

Average: 6.7

Popjustice History: 33rd in PJSC 40

Something about this song just does it for me. I can't really explain it, it's like it sonically unlocks a part of my brain.

@DJHazey
    Yas, rock on! \m/ Give me the Danish version of the power pop; like a harder version of Hinder. Basically catchy metal that seels out for pop lovers.

@daninternational
    oh wow you’re making sure Alphabeat don’t leave first right?

@berserkboi
    Bop too!

Aura Dione – “In Love With The World”

Average: 6.775

Charts: DK #5; AT #13
    Popjustice History: 20th in PJSC 1

@DJHazey
    So generic it almost hurts me physically.

@daninternational
    New to me, and fine for a ballad. My fave of hers is the awfully-lyriced “Indian Giver”.

@berserkboi
    Kinda getting somewhere with less clunky lyrics but I am starting to think that was her appeal anyway!

Alexander Oscar – “Bad Intentions”

Average: 6.85

@DJHazey
    I don’t know why, but this kind of stuff is just so dull to my ears.

@daninternational
    New to me, enjoyable while it’s on but not going to seek it out again

@berserkboi
    Meh!

Lucy Love – “Take Me Back”

Average: 6.8583

Popjustice History: 27th in PJSC 15; 15th in PJSC Second Chances Round 1

@DJHazey
    Don’t really have anything else to say, so I will just look at the song title and say Sylver’s >>>

@daninternational
    Is this a cover? It’s very familiar but I’d also forgotten it completely

@berserkboi
    We’ve entered the Berserk Bop section! Enjoying the entirely different feel!

MØ – “Nights With You”

Average: 7.0708

Charts: DK #21

@DJHazey
    Certainly on-trend, just not my thang really.

@daninternational
    It’s very MØ, but doesn’t stand out as one of her best

@berserkboi
    Offputting bop!​

17. They've each lost a song from the bonus sections, but next time, one of the Headliner acts (Alphabeat, Infernal, or Medina) will lose a song from their main dectet.

18. This is the right firsst Mø cut and hopefully the only one in a while!
    But why you tanking Aura Dione?

19. Have you heard the material, my child? It is no Sommer Igen...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.