Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me) | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Rate Danes: 20 Years of Denmark's Best Music (according to me)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WowWowWowWow, Mar 27, 2022.

1. At first, I gave 3AM like a 0 but boy did it hook me after a few plays and became a 10. Probably the best song to exit so far.

2. #81 (TIE)
    Anja Nissen – “Where I Am”

Average: 7.4083

Winner of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2017
    Eurovision 2017: 10th place in Semi-final 1; 20th place in Final

Popjustice History: 62nd in Ultimate Eurovision Justice 2010-2019

@DJHazey
    Generic Top 40 radio fodder. Plus I am kind getting sick of ‘armor’ metaphors in pop lyrics.

@daninternational
    Singing very loudly is not singing well (trust me, I know). Shouldn’t have won the NF, shouldn’t have made the ESC final, shouldn’t go far in this rate.

@berserkboi
    Nice but really oversung!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#81 (TIE)
    Private – “Crucify My Heart”

Average: 7.4083

Charts: DK #4

@DJHazey
    Decent, but a bit messy; losing its direction too many times.

@daninternational
    I guess it has a chorus at least

@berserkboi
    Great chorus!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alphabeat – “Shadows”

Average: 7.425

Charts: DK #19

The Official Charts website: Alphabeat “are back to brighten up pop with their comeback track... It’s essentially Alphabeat at their most Alphabeat.” Stine says: “Lyrically, it’s about the difficult things in life. It’s a positive song but there’s darkness to it. It’s about how our lives aren’t just about the nice things and go out partying, it’s about waking up and feeling heavy and not knowing if you can find the energy to smile.”

@DJHazey
    The song playing when the theatre cast comes back out to take their bows.

@daninternational
    I like the chorus but the male vocals are annoying and drag it down a bit.

@berserkboi
    Not as fond of this sound if I’m honest

Thomas Holm – “Selvmord På Dansegulvet”

Average: 7.4455

Charts: DK #33

@DJHazey
    Rough. When paired with video it’s the wrong side of cheese.

@daninternational
    Used to love this back in the day (basically anything which mentioned the dancefloor), but it feels a bit cheap these days. And he’s not as cute as he thinks he is ddd

@berserkboi
    Bop Redux

Martin Jensen – “Solo Dance”

Average: 7.4917

Charts: DK #7; UK #7; NO #7; SE #7; DE #14; AT #14; CH #17; FI #19; IT #32; AU #40

@DJHazey
    A song you’d hear playing during an intermission of an esports tournament. Not bad, but bring back the competition!

@daninternational
    New to me. Obviously basic, but a bop too

@berserkboi
    Nice but weaker than a bunch of other bops​

3. My 11 will be the first 11 eliminated. But did anyone else give it an 11? Time will tell.

4. Wow, that's surprising/frustrating ddd

Me & My – “Two Are Stronger Than One”

Average: 7.5

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2007: 6th place in Final

@DJHazey
    Hey, it’s far better than Dub-I-Dub at least. Did I say that out loud?

@Sprockrooster
    Not that this was good, but christ that it lost to DQ with one of the weakest songs ever from Denmark. So sad it was wasted on a moment where dragqueens could be represented in a grand manner. Too bad it perhaps did more wrong than good due to that song.

@daninternational
    Sounds a bit dated in this context, but it’s not a bad song

@berserkboi
    Immensely cute!

Christopher – “Told You So”

Average: 7.5083

@DJHazey
    What, is this the Danish Timberlake?

@daninternational
    Why does every country think they need a Bruno Mars

@berserkboi
    How rapey! Ddd

Carpark North – “Burn It”

Average: 7.5417

Charts: DK #27

@DJHazey
    I appreciate the dramatic flair.

@BubblegumBoy
    Sort of love and hate this at the same time...

@daninternational
    Danish acts should stick to dance music, their rock always feels a bit flat to me

@berserkboi
    I enjoy the melody!

Private – “Let’s Make Love (Underneath The Apple Tree)”

Average: 7.5583

@DJHazey
    At first I uttered “WTF?”. By the time it was over I was left shaking my head, wondering how the hell I ended up loving it. Throw this on a GTA: Vice City and no one is going to call it out for not actually being from the 80s.

@berserkboi
    Their best track!

Hampenberg feat. Jesper Nohrstedt – “Glorious”

Average: 7.5792

Charts: DK #17

@DJHazey
    Had something going for it until the wet paper towel of a chorus. Good beats though.

@daninternational
    Reminds me of Invincible by DMGP, there were a lot of songs like this back at the time. This is one of the better ones

@berserkboi
    Basic bop alert!​

6. Goodbye Christopher, we hardly knew ye.

7. When I listened to this it reminded me of Crazy Frog

Once again, if his right songs were chosen instead...

8. Oh Christopher, how I have failed you. Please let me make it up to you somehow. Whatever it takes.

9. Re: Christopher - Bye pumpkin!

Shadows deserved far better!

WowWowWowWow likes this.
    MØ – “Kamikaze”

Average: 7.6125

Charts: DK #16; BE/VL #30

@DJHazey
    Quirky Pop Rate - Danish Edition. This has that Tove Styrke - Kiddo sound to it.

@daninternational
    It’s fun but not exciting

@berserkboi
    Nice enough

Rasmus Seebach – “I mine øjne”

Average: 7.6182

Charts: DK #1 (3 weeks)

@DJHazey
    I wouldn’t be caught dead listening to this singer, but at least this song has its melodic moments.

@daninternational
    ballady bop

@berserkboi
    Beautiful!

Enur feat. Natasja – “Calabria 2007”

Average: 7.625

Charts: FR #9; US #46

@DJHazey
    Beyond that well known sax loop, there’s not alot going on here.

@Sprockrooster
    This brings me back to so many great memories.

@daninternational
    Destination Calabria takes me back to my uni days, but the original stands up well too. RIP Natasja </3

@berserkboi
    Nice but Destination Calabria is an 11!

Private – “We Got Some Breaking Up To Do”

Average: 7.65

@DJHazey
    I find myself understanding why the album got accolades, even if if my own enjoyment is a mixed review. More great 80’s retro jams.

@daninternational
    Painfully white

@berserkboi
    Awesome discovery

Trine Jepsen – “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again”

Average: 7.6667

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2009: Result unknown, but not among the top 4 finalists

@DJHazey
    A lesser version of a couple of songs in this section and that’s far from an insult.

@daninternational
    2009 was all about Someday (I guess not included because Hera Björk is Icelandic? it would have got my 11). This falls just on the wrong side of dated cheese

@berserkboi
    Massive bop!​

11. Enough with the Mø cull now, please

12. I can confirm she is safe up until at least the top 50!

13. [​IMG]

WowWowWowWow and Untouchable Ace like this.
    Aqua – “Playmate To Jesus”

Average: 7.7

Charts: DK #13

@DJHazey
    Definitely a grower because I wrote it off at first.

@daninternational
    Not their best, but can still appreciate that they tried to do a lot of different stuff

@berserkboi
    This is the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen (Gothic Ken took me out ddd) but beautiful melody as I have come to expect!

Alexander Hampenberg & Morten Breum feat. Stine Bramsen – “I Want You To Want Me Back”

Average: 7.7125

@DJHazey
    The meh song you would hear on BPM FM these days. (One of the reasons I never re-up my XM subscription)

@BubblegumBoy
    That video was painful to watch...

@daninternational
    A bit faceless

@berserkboi
    Bop but some annoying bits!

Fallulah – “Out Of It”

Average: 7.7667

Charts: DK #1 (3 weeks)

@DJHazey
    Never quite lives up to my initial reaction, but the “crazy” part is ridiculously good

@BubblegumBoy
    This sounds like a Quirky Pop Girls rate extra and I like it

@daninternational
    Love the driving beat and one of those occasions where everything fell into place to make an effortlessly excellent pop song

@berserkboi
    Kinda very boppy

Whigfield – “As I Go”

Average: 7.8083

@DJHazey
    About damn time we finally highlight some of her later work and I can 10 her.

@unnameable
    Not up to the levels of classic Whigfield, but pleasant enough

@daninternational
    Saturday Night is a classic, but it’s not surprising she didn’t have much success after that

@berserkboi
    No one does it like these Queens! Cest Cool LA LA!!!

Rasmus Seebach – “Så længe vi danser”

Average: 7.8636

Charts: DK #10

@DJHazey
    What this some modern attempt to re-live Dirty Dancing or Footloose or something?

@Sprockrooster
    This is vaguely reminding me of something I can’t put my finger on and it is driving me crazy. Cause I like this a lot, so probably that goes for the song that reminds me here as well.

@daninternational
    It’s fun, but nothing special

@berserkboi
    Bop despite the pathetic (like me!!) dancing ddd​

15. if anja is out can i already call for emmelie

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  16. I just discovered this bop that also exists

17. Slow downnnnnnI_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY please

From what I can take in from the latest cull, we seem to have got rid of most of the annoying 'rock' songs.
    Christopher is a 'nothing of value was lost' based on his songs here (and tbh his whole catalogue is a bit faceless).

The danCe is being done a little dirty, things like The Creeps and Calabria shouldn't be out at this point, but I guess Medina cornered the market there a little.

Is anybody left untouched at this point? Doubt it.

DJHazey likes this.
  18. If you don’t count Speakers On as part of the Infernal section, their primary 10 songs are all still in play.

MilesAngel and daninternational like this.
  19. and I guess the same is true of Medina if we discount her Danish extras?

20. ‘Tis true! Sadly the same cannot be said for the Chanée and N’evergreen section tee hee

daninternational likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.