Rate Me, Rate I - the Delta Goodrem rate - YOUR WINNER!

9hdEYRl.jpg

It's time to rethink the pop princess. Keep your performing skills of Beyonce. Keep your relatable songs of Taylor Swift. Keep your powerhouse vocals of Kelly and Christina. Keep your serious artiste music ability of Gaga. One prodigious Aussie has it all and more. She's one of Australia's biggest-selling music acts ever, a songwriter, a powerhouse vocalist, a pianist and totally likeable on top of that. She's dabbled in pop, rock, piano ballads, easy listening and, more recently, dance. She's covered the whole spectrum from the darkness of facing one's mortality to the lightness of a relationship. In this rate, we will celebrate the career and music of Delta Goodrem, from her debut pop single and her real debut of Innocent Eyes, to the latest single, "Wings" and everything in between (but not the Innocent Eyes anniversary reissue because it's crap).

In this rate, you will be able to award one song the coveted 11 - for that song you love more than the others.

There's a lot to cover so you have three weeks - the deadline will be Sunday 11th October. Get voting!

Lto8cdv.jpg

Innocent Eyes (2003)
Written and recorded as a teenager before and during her stint on Australian soap Neighbours, ‘Innocent Eyes’ is still Delta’s most successful era. Among other accomplishments, the album spawned five consecutive Australian number one singles, was the biggest-selling album of the 2000s in Australia, and sold over 900,000 copies in the United Kingdom. The album talks of relationships, both the highs and lows, and of coming of age. The album was widely praised for its maturity and the impressive vocals of its young singer. Of all these accomplishments, however, none matches the fact that it happens to be one of the all-time favourite albums of yours truly, your rate host.

Born to Try
Innocent Eyes
Not Me, Not I
Throw It Away
Lost Without You
Predictable
Butterfly
In My Own Time
My Big Mistake
This Is Not Me
Running Away
A Year Ago Today
Longer
Will You Fall For Me

8QjekYk.jpg

Mistaken Identity (2004)
The follow-up to her record-breaking debut came after her much-publicised battle with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. As expected, the album covers this time in her life, from the darkness of the day she found out the news to, in typical Delta style, overcoming it. This is a much more stripped down and piano-led album, almost to suit the rawness of the lyrics. It was another big success in Australia and was supported by the Visualise tour. There are plenty who believe this to be her best album – are you one of them?

Out of the Blue
The Analyst
Mistaken Identity
Sanctuary
A Little Too Late
Be Strong
Last Night on Earth
Almost Here
Miscommunication
Electric Storm
Extraordinary Day
Fragile
Disorientated
You Are My Rock

0d60cV5.jpg

Delta (2007)
Delta’s third studio album seemed tailor-made for the American audience she was trying to charm at this time. This showed a departure from the piano-led power ballads and shows a more diverse musical side of Delta. Much of it was co-written with her partner of 7 years, Brian McFadden. It’s generally considered to be her weakest album, but what do you think? Does it deserve more praise?

Believe Again
In This Life
Possessionless
God Laughs
You Will Only Break My Heart
The Guardian
Bare Hands
Woman
I Can't Break It To My Heart
Brave Face
One Day
Angels in the Room
Right Here in My Heart

eXaXaRn.jpg

Child of the Universe (2012)
The most recent studio album, Child of the Universe, was intended to be a return to the Innocent Eyes sound but actually ended up much more diverse than that. Lyrically, this album covers everything – Delta’s usual positivity, the joy of love, reminders of childhood, bereavement of a friend, and the pain and bitterness of the end of a relationship.

Child of the Universe
Touch
Wish You Were Here
Knocked Out
Sitting on Top of the World
I'm Not Ready
Hunters and the Wolves
Dancing With a Broken Heart
Hypnotised
Safe to Believe
The Speed of Life
War on Love
I Lost All Love 4 You
When My Stars Come Out
Control
Alcohol
No Communication

B-Sides and Extras

I Don't Care
Dancing With a Broken Heart (Single version)
Flawed
Hear Me Calling
Lost for Words
Right There Waiting
Visualise
Beautiful Madness
Silence Be Heard
How A Dream Looks
Turn You Away
Take Me Home
Breathe In, Breathe Out
Fortune and Love
Uncovered
Waiting for Forever
Rise
Daughter
Together We Are One
Heart Hypnotic
Love…Thy Will Be Done
Only Human
Wings
Stay
Unsure
Fever

Note- I haven't added links as all these songs are easily findable but if you can't find one, let me know!

Last edited:
#1 In This Life - 9.67
#2 Believe Again - 9.58
#3 Lost Without You - 9.47
#4 No Communication - 9.37
#5 Sitting on Top of the World - 9.36
#6 Wings - 9.17
#7 Predictable - 9.14
#8 Electric Storm - 9.06
#9 Not Me, Not I - 9.03
#10 Alcohol - 9.01
#11 Fragile - 8.97
#12 Last Night on Earth - 8.92
#13 Innocent Eyes - 8.89
Take Me Home - 8.89
#15 Wish You Were Here - 8.72
#16 The Speed of Life - 8.67
#17 Hunters and the Wolves - 8.64
Control - 8.64
#19 The Analyst - 8.61
#20 War on Love - 8.53
#21 Out of the Blue - 8.50
#22 Touch - 8.46
#23 Mistaken Identity - 8.33
Breathe In, Breathe Out - 8.33
Child of the Universe - 8.33
#26 Born to Try - 8.31
#27 Running Away - 8.21
#28 Angels in the Room - 8.19
#29 I Can't Break It To My Heart - 8.14
#30 I'm Not Ready - 8.03
#31 Brave Face - 7.92
#32 Right Here in My Heart - 7.89
#33 Dancing With a Broken Heart (Single version) - 7.86
#34 Waiting for Forever - 7.84
#35 Possessionless - 7.79
#36 Stay - 7.74
#37 Extraordinary Day - 7.73
#38 Rise - 7.69
#39 Heart Hypnotic - 7.64
#40 Disorientated - 7.62
#41 My Big Mistake - 7.59
#42 Together We Are One - 7.58
Almost Here - 7.58
#44 Sanctuary - 7.53
A Little Too Late - 7.53
Longer - 7.53
Dancing With a Broken Heart - 7.53
#48 Uncovered - 7.52
#49 I Lost All Love 4 You - 7.47
Throw It Away - 7.47
#51 Knocked Out - 7.43
#52 You Will Only Break My Heart - 7.42
#53 The Guardian - 7.36
#54 Butterfly - 7.33
#55 In My Own Time - 7.31
#56 Bare Hands - 7.29
#57 Be Strong - 7.15
#58 Daughter - 7.13
#59 This Is Not Me - 7.01
#60 Will You Fall For Me - 6.98
#61 - Flawed - 6.84
#62 - Love…Thy Will Be Done - 6.82
#63- When My Stars Come Out - 6.79
#64- Fortune and Love - 6.78
#65- God Laughs - 6.73
#66- Hypnotised - 6.67
Only Human - 6.67
#68- Unsure - 6.62
#69- I Don't Care - 6.59
#70- Silence Be Heard - 6.54
#71- Fever - 6.17
#72- Miscommunication
You Are My Rock
Hear Me Calling
Safe to Believe- 6.14
#76- A Year Ago Today - 6.03
#77- Lost For Words - 5.95
#78- Visualise - 5.93
#79- How A Dream Looks - 5.90
#80 - Beautiful Madness - 5.78
#81 - Woman - 5.75
#82 - Turn You Away - 5.61
#83 - Right There Waiting - 5.56
#84 - One Day - 5.06

Album rankings here

Last edited:
And if anyone's interested, here are my averages-

Innocent Eyes- 9.4
Mistaken Identity- 8.1
Delta- 6.6
Child of the Universe- 7.8
B-Sides and Extras- 6.5

I fully expect my 11 and my top 2 and 3 to be thoroughly underrated, and for a great but overrated song to win. So we shall see!

Last edited:
he/him
I really want to explore her music for the first time. The couple of upbeat songs I've heard, I really liked. Despite the fact that I have been told that her earlier work is more ballady, I can see myself enjoying at least some of it considering I have a affinity for some piano-pop.

I have get Carly done first, because its deadline comes first...but I will see what I can do.

I really want to explore her music for the first time. The couple of upbeat songs I've heard, I really liked. Despite the fact that I have been told that her earlier work is more ballady, I can see myself enjoying at least some of it considering I have a affinity for some piano-pop.

I have get Carly done first, because it's deadline comes first...but I will see what I can do.
You have three weeks so you may have time but it's a lot of songs and there are definitely a lot of ballads. It'd be cool if you voted but either way make sure you commentate as we go along!

he/him
You have three weeks so you may have time but it's a lot of songs and there are definitely a lot of ballads. It'd be cool if you voted but either way make sure you commentate as we go along!

I already know much of Carly's music...so I plan to get most of that done this week. I'm on stay-cation the last week of voting, so I can envision having a lot of time then.

Also, I will accept suggestions for a new thread title! The one I chose here made me laugh so hard at how terrible it is.

I'm a little nervous for this, seeing as a lot of her greatest songs are generally a bit underrated. The popularity of certain "Danceta" tracks concerns me a bit as well.

As for thread titles, "Don't Underestimate Me, Be Careful When You Rate Me"? Or is that too long?

I'm a little nervous for this, seeing as a lot of her greatest songs are generally a bit underrated.
Agreed, and I'm worried for like my entire top 5. Particularly since my Innocent Eyes score was a whopping 9.4. That whole album will be underrated.

I'll be interested to see if we agree on her "greatest songs"!

Island

Staff member
And if anyone's interested, here are my averages-

Innocent Eyes- 9.4
Mistaken Identity- 7.9
Delta- 6.4
Child of the Universe- 7.4
B-Sides and Extras- 6.7

I fully expect my 11 and my top 2 and 3 to be thoroughly underrated, and for a great but overrated song to win. So we shall see!

'Believe Again'…

I will..

Also for those who want to have some fun with God.

I'll be interested to see if we agree on her "greatest songs"!

I think it will be fairly obvious to tell from my scores which album is my favourite, but it's not the same album my 11 appears on. And it looks like I'll end up with a ridiculous amount of 10s...

Ooh a couple of B-sides that I actually know and love seem to be missing, but there are many to rate anyway. Quite a few I have never heard!

Cannot wait to stan for Delta, her most underrated album.