☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Cute how its average went higher for the most part near the end, yet it actually kept falling down from 41 to the very last spot.

I just realized I didn’t provide my "V-ocal-ixen" commentary for "Fairytale", but heh on a technical point, there’s not much to comment about.

2. [​IMG]

myblood, Remorque, junglefish and 8 others like this.
  3. Are we getting 43 later tonight babe @vague ? xoxo

vague likes this.
  4. [​IMG]
    Me dropping that 0 on Fairy Tale, causing a mess in Eden.

5. yes! i'm sorting the commentary right now. planning to get 42 and 43 both out tonight.

6. I wouldn't be surprised honestly if like rainsomethingsomething followed 'Fairy Tale', but I'm also here for a plot twist.

Sanctuary and vague like this.
  7. [​IMG]

Is it you, baby, that small wish that I've been dreaming of?
    If you say you'll be with me like in that song
    The sound of bells will ring
    And the white snow I've been waiting for will fall

[​IMG]

No.43
    The Carol 2.0

by LOOΠΔ / ViVi, Choerry, Yves

Score: 5.306

High scores: 10×1 (@Island), 9×1 (@Rem), 8×4 (@HappyBirthday, @DrinkMyTears, @OspreyQueen, @McQueer)
    Low scores: 0×2 (@Sanctuary, @Empty Shoebox), 1×2 (@ryjm, @Rainbow Trousers), 2×4 (@teerofinale, @send photo, @Mikl C, @Charles Vingt-†rois)
    My score: 4

5 ballots: No.44, 3 avg.
    10 ballots: No.43, 3.95 avg.
    15 ballots: No.44, 4.267 avg.
    20 ballots: No.44, 4.325 avg.
    25 ballots: No.44, 4.62 avg.
    30 ballots: No.44, 4.883 avg.
    35 ballots: No.44, 5.114 avg.
    40 ballots: No.43, 5.175
    45 ballots: No.43, 5.233 avg.
    50 ballots: No.43, 5.35 avg.
    54 ballots: No.43, 5.306 avg.

"The Carol 2.0" is LOOΠΔ's first digital single, released on December 13, 2017. The song is a remake of HaSeul's b-side, "The Carol," featuring vocals from ViVi, Choerry, and then-new member Yves, who formed a one-time unit ViRryVes (pronounced "believe") for the release of the song. It was written by MonoTree's Park Jiyeon and GDLO, arranged by MonoTree's G-High, and composed by MonoTree's G-High, Asher Park, and Choi Youngkyung, all of whom have credits on at least one other LOOΠΔ track.

This was in last place for the majority of the voting period. It wasn't until very near the end that the song started getting a few higher scores and clawed itself to second-last place. To be honest, I pretty much never listen to this; it's by far least played LOOΠΔ track on last.fm (well, tied with the other Carol I think ddd). As lovely as Yves sounds on this, I definitely prefer 3H's take on the song. Their video is a lot better, too.

In the description for "The Carol 2.0" music video, BlockBerry Creative described the song as:

@Rem (9) — "This is even more festive compared to the original omg."

@HappyBirthday (8) — "I mean, it’s a song I already loved but with increased production. God I love Christmas."

@codecat (7.5) — "You're goddamn right I'm giving this a half point more than the OG one."

@RUNAWAY (7.5) — "this is not the tea. I don't know how they did it but this version of the song is just not good."

@GeiPanda (7.5) — "I seem to always ironically stan the vocally-challenged members of groups, but then I end up actually loving them - see Qri, Momo and now Vivi. So I'm going to give this version half a point higher than Version 1.0 for featuring Vivi Carey's angelic vocals. This also makes it one of the only kpop Xmas songs that I can sit my way through - Bom + Lee Hi are shaking."

@Slice of Life (7) — "A better vocal performance that 1/3's so lemme give this an extra 1 point kekeke."

@yuuurei (7) — "I like this a little bit better than the first version because it sounds a little more upbeat to me and I like the Jingle Bells melody after the first chorus. In the end, this is just a cute, decent Christmas jam either way."

@eccentricsimply (7) — "It's.... not the first The Carol. "

@ohaimanabu (7) — "It's just as cute as the original."

@Oleander (7) — "It’s still a very nice Xmas song (deal with it you joyless heathens) but it’s not better than the original. Maybe it’s just me but their voices seem to be completely consumed by the instrumental at times which takes away from the song. Why did the producers do that? I’ll let y’all decide for yourselves."

@eliminathan (6.5) — "It's the same exact song with less skilled singers but I stan Choerry and Yves so I'm conflicted as to which I prefer. I mean it's still a Christmas song so I'm not going to give it any more than The Carol got."

@Remorque (6.5) — "This is just the same as the previously released version, but instead of HeeJin, HyunJin and HaSeul we get ViVi, Choerry and Yves instead... I'm slightly biased towards the former three, but the latter do their best and give us a cute performance too, seaux... It would help however if Yves wouldn't look like she was forced to shoot this video while having a gun pointed at her head."

@Ana Raquel (6) — "Both Carols are the same for me, to be honest."

@He (5.5) — "We know Yves delivers vocally, so, it’s cute. But I haven’t listened to this more than two times. It’s nicer than the first one. They can keep the Carol 3.0"

@ohnostalgia (5) — "No, 2.0."

@Petit nain des Îles (5) — "I don't hear anything different from The Carol instrumentally. I doubt I'll use this again."

@Vixen (4.5) — "I mean… It’s a throwaway Christmas song, but at least there’s some cute headvoice adlibs that Yves and (surprisingly) Choerry deliver fairly decently."

@mokimbird (4.5) — "oh look, it's The Carol but inexplicably every change sinks it further into the Uncanny Valley! most of the points are for the girls (with a special shout-out to Vivi's improvement as a vocalist, because whew.) an extra half-point for when Choerry and Vivi are hugging Yves and she looks like she wants to die."

@ryjm (2) — "One Christmas song, I can forgive, but two? Gurl, no. I love the combination of ViRryVes but the song was meh the first time, and is even more so the second time around. Please no more BBC (but let’s be real, we know damn well that 3.0 be released come this Christmas)."

@send photo (2) — "Of all the fucking LOONA songs to make a 2.0 of. Fuck off"

@Charles Vingt-†rois (2) — "Unnecessary."

@Empty Shoebox (0) — "'It's C*****mas time, and there's no need to give this any points', as Midge Ure never said."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Oh yes the superior The Carol outliving this is kpopjustice.

9. me at the results so far
    [​IMG]

10. The original is probably going next though so dddddd

11. The Carol in both incarnations is definitely the worst LOONA song, I still gave both around a 3 because the melody is nice enough and the girls don’t sound bad at all, but I hate Christmas music so much outside of a handful of songs and this track isn’t one of those exceptions.

Double checked, I gave 1.0 a single point more, so I guess the better version won.

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My heart throbs for that day in December
    Now my long-lost memories are coming back to me
    Overnight the world has turned white
    It feels like something special is about to happen

[​IMG]

No.42
    The Carol

by LOOΠΔ / HeeJin, HyunJin, HaSeul

Score: 5.597

High scores: 10×2 (@RUNAWAY, @Island), 9.5×1 (@eccentricsimply), 9×2 (@ohaimanabu, @McQueer)
    Low scores: 0×1 (@Empty Shoebox), 1×3 (@teerofinale, @ryjm, @soratami), 2×3 (@PopZeitgeist, @Serg., @Mikl C)
    My score: 5

5 ballots: No.43, 3.5 avg.
    10 ballots: No.42, 4.05 avg.
    15 ballots: No.42, 4.8 avg.
    20 ballots: No.43 4.825 avg.
    25 ballots: No.41, 4.94 avg.
    30 ballots: No.43, 5.1 avg.
    35 ballots: No.41, 5.429 avg.
    40 ballots: No.42, 5.338 avg.
    45 ballots: No.42, 5.456 avg.
    50 ballots: No.42, 5.57 avg.
    54 ballots: No.42, 5.597 avg.

"The Carol" is the b-side to HaSeul's solo single album, released on December 15, 2016 - although, oddly, it's the first track on digital editions of the single. The song features vocals from HeeJin, HyunJin, and HaSeul, who, at the time of its release, were the only members revealed. The music video, shot in London, ties in to Chuu's "Heart Attack" music video epilogue, which was released the following year in December of 2017. The song has the exact same credits as "The Carol 2.0": it was written by MonoTree's Park Jiyeon and GDLO, arranged by MonoTree's G-High, and composed by MonoTree's G-High, Asher Park, and Choi Youngkyung.

This song, like "The Carol 2.0", is not one I listen to very often, but of the two versions, I definitely prefer this one. HaSeul really shines on this, but I'm still a little peeved she got stuck with a Christmas song as her b-side ddd.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "YES I AM GIVING THE CAROL A TEN. Because it is THAT festive moment we all need and deserve. Haseul's opening notes are the reason I stan her, and the song is just perfection. " (yaaath own your truth, unnie)

@eccentricsimply (9.5) — "Love me a good Christmas song."

@ohaimanabu (9) — "This is probably actually a 5 or something, but i'm a SUCKER for holiday music.....So a 9 it is!"

@Rem (8) — "Wait at this being a huge bop. All I Want For Christmas who?"

@OspreyQueen (8) — "My hype for Christmas starts around March and ends around the beginning of December, so I’m a fan of this."

@Oleander (8) — "BBC kind of screwed over HaSeul by giving her an Xmas song as her b-side but at least she didn't get a second version of the same damn song as her b-side. The same can't be said for some of the other girls. HaSeul also lucked out by receiving a great Xmas song as her b-side which ended up receiving a video.She looks stunning in that video. Don't get me wrong, all three members of Triple H look great but HaSeul really shines. I also love that her coat resembles the one a toy soldier wears. Talk about getting festive. Mariah could never! What also makes me love the video is the connection it has to Heart Attack's video. I'm a bit of a theory nerd so that was a great moment." (kii)

@Petit nain des Îles (7.5) — "Hearing it a bit differently due to the Christmas-y theme. Hard to rate as I'm not in the mood for this kind of music yet, but as far as that kind of song goes, it seems okay. I can't help but think of Mariah Carey's All I Want From Christmas and other classics with very similar melodies. Some high notes in the prechorus and in the middle 8 that I applaud, sis are doing a stellar performance. I don't even hate the key change!"

@codecat (7) — "Listening to this near the end of summer is plain TORTURE I WANT IT TO BE XMAS ALREADY. You can bet this is going into my Christmas playlist. It already feels like a classic, full of joy and merriment and delight & all that ho ho ho shit. This video showcases BBC's continuous obsession for dressing up the 1/3 members in head to toe Gucci and I love that - but not as much as Haseul's beautiful intro."

@HappyBirthday (7) — "I’m absolutely certain I couldn’t pull it off, but I still want HaSeul’s coat."

@GeiPanda (7) — "This is actually cute."

@ThighHighs (7) — "I love a good Christmas song. This isn’t the best but it’s good!"

@yuuurei (6.5) — "It's pretty good for a Christmas Love Song (tm). The opening is lovely and it's a cute song overall. I like the 2.0 version a bit better though."

@eliminathan (6.5) — "It's actually pretty good for a Christmas song which is just about the worst type of song to listen to other than country music. Haseul sounds stunning tbh."

@mokimbird (6.5) — "Mariah_Carey_All_I_Want_For_Christmas.mp3 / 10"

@Remorque (6.5) — "Normally I would have tanked this in a heartbeat, but the girls actually sound like they're having fun and the production's great too. They're so fucking cute in the video I can't."

@Slice of Life (6) — "Finally some good fucking vocals. Kii. I don't celebrate Christmas so I don't really enjoy Christmas releases. But this is okay to me. It reminds me of those Mariah Carey Christmass classics."

@Ana Raquel (6) — "I'm not a fan of Christmas songs, but I don't dislike this."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (5.25) — "I'm here for this. Not their best but it does the job and the voices are actually nice to listen."

@ohnostalgia (5) — "Maybe it’s because snow is literally falling outside my window in September, but NO. Who did HaSeul piss off to get saddled with A Christmas Song?"

@He (5) — "Poor Haseul getting this as her bside. It’s a Christmas song, it’s cute, and the vocals are cute too. But I have no money for presents so I don’t care."

@Vixen (4) — "I mean… It’s a throwaway Christmas songs, but at least there’s some cute headvoice adlibs that Heejin and Haseul delivers fairly decently."

@Cotton Park (4) — "This score isn't fair because I don't like Christmas pop songs, but if you have to listen to one, and believe me, there are situations where you have absolutely no escape or any reasonable protection from them, you might as well let LOONA be the one regailing. Ho. Ho. Ho. Dukun. Dukun. Dukun."

@ryjm (1) — "The song is cute for what it is and I love that the girls came to London to film the MV, but Christmas songs are just not what anyone wants, and that is the tea. I’ll probably use this a few times during December and then go back to forgetting it ever existed."

@Empty Shoebox (0) — "Oh look a C*****mas song. Yep, I hate it." (my dumbass trying to figure out what cuss word you censored every time i opened the commentary word file and only now realizing it's just ... Christmas dddd. mess)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  13. I wasn't expecting this to survive I just didn't want y'all making The Carol 2.0 have a higher average than this one by bias only nñn

14. This is going pretty well so far. Now don't get me wrong, Fairytale is a pretty and cute song. But it's kind of the definition of cute next to gorgeous in terms of their discography. And as we all know...

[​IMG]

@vague you used my commentary from The Carol 2.0 twice. You're still doing amazing, though!

15. oop fixed now. i guess it was my subconscious wishing you had written commentary for the original too nn

eliminathan, codecat, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  16. ViVi is a living legend.

17. HA!

Could @codecat have predicted that?! I DON’T THINK SO!

Ugh, my mind...

Don’t forget to vote for @Vixen for best Psychic!

eliminathan, ryjm, codecat and 8 others like this.
  18. I can give you some on-the-spot commentary.

" BBC kind of screwed over HaSeul by giving her an Xmas song as her b-side but at least she didn't get a second version of the same damn song as her b-side. The same can't be said for some of the other girls. HaSeul also lucked out by receiving a great Xmas song as her b-side which ended up receiving a video.She looks stunning in that video. Don't get me wrong, all three members of Triple H look great but HaSeul really shines. I also love that her coat resembles the one a toy soldier wears. Talk about getting festive. Mariah could never! What also makes me love the video is the connection it has to Heart Attack's video. I'm a bit of a theory nerd so that was a great moment."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.