☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Wait. The Legendary Song Jieun co-wrote Twilight?!?! I should have given it one point more because of that. Also everyone who voted to kill off You And Me Together + Twilight so early is currently...

[​IMG]

2. Off topic but I am so glad I found another Song Jieun stan on KPJ. I felt so alone before, unnie.

Do you stan Secret too because that would be more awesome xoxo

3. This song is a 11.

vague, yuuurei, Serg. and 2 others like this.
  4. OH SHH-
    LET'S
    TIIIIIIIIIIIME
    *screams softly*

Unnie of course I love Secret! They are...pioneers of the cute concept. They...invented retro with Magic. Poison is that lost Amerie BOP. Queens of escaping their decrepit basement!

5. today's gonna be a rough one, unnies. might as well get started . . .

[​IMG]

Flower petals dance when you open my door
    They scatter with every step you take
    Walking with you makes me smile
    I’m even happy when it rains

[​IMG]

No.29
    Starlight

by LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE

Score: 7.315

High scores: 10×3 (@RUNAWAY, @mokimbird, @He), 9×5 (@ohaimanabu, @Island, @Oleander, @GeiPanda, @_hazzie_)
    Low scores: 3×1 (@teerofinale), 5×2 (@Coming Century, @Empty Shoebox), 5.5×2 (@junglefish, @Serg.)
    My score: 7.75

5 ballots: No.30, 6.45 avg.
    10 ballots: No.30, 6.675 avg.
    15 ballots: No.32, 6.783 avg.
    20 ballots: No.30, 6.938 avg.
    25 ballots: No.30, 6.97 avg.
    30 ballots: No.30, 7.017 avg.
    35 ballots: No.30, 7.114 avg.
    40 ballots: No.29, 7.138 avg.
    45 ballots: No.30, 7.256 avg.
    50 ballots: No.29, 7.27 avg.
    54 ballots: No.29, 7.315 avg.

"Starlight" is the fifth track on LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE's debut mini-album, "Mix&Match", released on September 21, 2017. It was written by MonoTree's Park Jiyeon and GDLO, arranged by MonoTree's NOPARI, and composed by MonoTree's NOPARI as well as Joombas' JJ Evans and Hyuk Shin.

In the description for the "Girl Front" MV, BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    As the first proper ODD EYE CIRCLE track eliminated, this really isn't a surprise. I agree with the general consensus that this is their weakest offering, but even their so-called worst is still a pretty dang good song; it just pales in comparison to the rest of their repertoire, which is extremely high quality. Still, there's a lot to enjoy here, too: the smooth, understated vocals, the immaculate production work, and the sweet yet flirty lyrics.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this song is fabulous, funky, laid back, and everything I love."

@mokimbird (10) — "i would argue that this is LOONA's best ballad (as much as i love Sonatine) - despite the relatively low-energy production, the lyrics and vocal performances just light me up. listening to this feels like driving down an endless expanse of California highway, watching the sun melt into seven different shades of red before it fades into dusk."

@He (10) — "Phew, yes, get me slow dancing, queens. This is so silky smooth and gorgeous. The production flourishes are everywhere and again a gorgeous middle 8."

@ohaimanabu (9) — "9, but I'd give this my 11 for "wat ya favrit collar", ICONIC."

@Oleander (9) — "I never noticed this before but this sounds like an amped up and yet somehow more chill version of Puzzle."

@GeiPanda (9) — "This is very close to being another song I'd be ok getting dicked down to." (oh waow...okay)

@ryjm (8.5) — "OEC are just so magical together, I really struggle to convey just what it is that makes them so damn powerful. Starlight is another stunning track from what is arguably LOONA’s best sub-unit (…to date). The vocals are the highlight here, with beautiful harmonies and high notes throughout."

@codecat (8.5) — "Mix&Match has the most effective track list out of every LOONA release because it manages to balance all those big tracks without losing cohesiveness, by going slower near the end, ending up in the plushiest of the songs. Starlight is a wee bit pitchy on the bridge but it's a nice, relaxing tune that makes me younger with each play."

@Petit nain des Îles (8.5) — "A bit similar to Chaotic? Feels like two parts of the same song, which doesn't bug me. Just curious about it."

@Slice of Life (8) — "Another gem of a b-side which I don't appreciate enough. It's the closest thing to a ballad that OEC did. It just needed a little more punch to be more effective. So an 8 is an appropriate score, I think."

@ohnostalgia (7.5) — "Hmmmmm. Obviously this isn’t a bad song by any means, but it’s a bit disappointing coming from Odd Eye Circle."

@Vixen (7.5) — "I usually can’t decide which one I prefer between this and Chaotic. I think both of them have their own little charm, and validates their venture into a more RnB territory. Both of them also allowed Choerry to really showcase how colorful her voice can be when given the appropriate parts.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Honestly Choerry sounds SO MUCH MORE at home on those really laidback, grounded and earthy RnB numbers than she does on the bubblegum airy pop songs. How?! You would think it would go the opposite way, but she just has this amazing vocal color that shines through when she can sing with her chest voice. Otherwise, there’s some weird ad-libs from Kim Lip and Jinsoul, but they sound pitched and melodyned, so I’m not sure dddd?"

@McQueer (7.5) — "Not nearly as strong as Chaotic but quite a nice lil slice of K-R&B, love Choerry on this one."

@Ana Raquel (7) — "My least favorite OEC song. Yet it is receiving such a high score. I'm glad to stan QUALITY."

@yuuurei (7) — "This is okay, nothing wrong with it and it has some nice parts, but it meanders along a bit. It's just a bit of a come down after Chaotic."

@eliminathan (7) — "For some reason this song isn't doing it for me but I can appreciate the attempt."

@Remorque (7) — "My least favourite on both the mini-album and the album... Don't get me wrong, it's far from a best song, but it just doesn't really resonate with me and unlike the rest of their discography is something I could have heard before... I do like them rap-singing througout though."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (7) — "This track arrives at the perfect moment in a perfectly structured mini. So happy to have avoided the sloppy ballad."

@eccentricsimply (6.5) — "I think it's probably fine but I don't remember the song after I'm done listening to it so nñn"

@Empty Shoebox (5) — "I'm always left wanting more from this one, and for a full length song, that is not a good thing."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. Things are running smoothly.

No way Top 20 isn't a bloodbath.

myblood, ohnostalgia, Rem and 7 others like this.
  7. Good riddance.

vague likes this.
  8. Nice

we can stop eliminating anything OEC related right now

ryjm and vague like this.
  9. iamdisgusted.gif

[​IMG]

You're knocking, I'm hesitating
    When I wake up from this long night's dream
    Will I be you? Will you be me?
    I've been waiting for so long

[​IMG]

No.28
    소년, 소녀 (Let Me In)

by LOOΠΔ / HaSeul

Score: 7.375

High scores: 10×10 (@Rainbow Trousers, @RUNAWAY, @yourbetterknow, @ddog, @eliminathan, @Oleander, @He, @McQueer, @Petit nain des Îles, @vague), 9.25×1 (@BEST FICTION), 9×3 (@HappyBirthday, @clowezra, @Animalia)
    Low scores: 3.5×1 (@Hurricane Drunk), 4×1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois), 4.5×1 (@ThighHighs), 5×5 (@Reboot, @send photo, @Ana Raquel, @Empty Shoebox, @askew)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: No.26, 7.1 avg.
    10 ballots: No.27, 6.9 avg.
    15 ballots: No.26 (tied), 7.133 avg.
    20 ballots: No.28, 7.3 avg.
    25 ballots: No.28, 7.18 avg.
    30 ballots: No.28, 7.342 avg.
    35 ballots: No.28, 7.479 avg.
    40 ballots: No.28, 7.506 avg.
    45 ballots: No.28, 7.472 avg.
    50 ballots: No.28, 7.445 avg.
    54 ballots: No.28, 7.375 avg.

"소년, 소녀 (Let Me In)" (sonyeon, sonyeo; boy, girl) is HaSeul's debut single from her self-titled single album, released on December 15, 2016. The music video was shot in Iceland. The song was written, arranged, and composed by Oreo, who also wrote 1/3's "비의 목소리 51db (Rain 51db)".

I consider "소년, 소녀 (Let Me In)" to be the first properly brilliant moment in LOOΠΔ's discography, both musically and visually. The instrumentation is interesting and complex, the lyrics are beautiful and poetic (even if I have no idea what they mean ddd), HaSeul sounds absolutely divine, and the video is a fucking stunner. I was under no illusion this had a chance in hell of winning, but I was hoping y'all would let in sneak into the top 20 at least. Oh, well!

@RUNAWAY (10) — "Haseul is my bias, and this video is absolutely incredible. The song is gorgeous, Haseul's voice is gorgeous, this whole song/video combo is just GORGEOUS."

@eliminathan (10) — "The musical composition is beautiful, it's somehow both subtle and grand at the same time. Haseul could probably sing a bit harder it sounds like she's restricting her voice a bit but even then it's probably the single best solo song in terms of vocals (sorry Chuu sis). And that shitty white bob in the video, none of our biases could pull that shit off and we all know it, unless you're the unfortunate haseul akgae that gets to watch her get no lines sorry sis."

@He (10) — "The best solo of 1/3. Ms Haseul did that. This song is magical, and has that melancholy that suits 1/3 so well. It’s sad, it’s about longing, it’s cold, but also oh so delicious in the production front. I love it."

@Petit nain des Îles (10) — "What an intro! Eerie and atmospheric, I'm being reminded of some of my favorite OSTs. Lush strings, magnificent orchestration. Tons of unusual instruments thrown in there, to the point I'm surprised that the song stays grounded and doesn't crash under its maximalism. Pretty much perfect. In my mind this would be another 11 if we were allowed to have more than one."

@HappyBirthday (9) — "The first real instance of LOONA bringing the DRAMA."

@codecat (8.5) — "When the arresting, cinematic strings sweep in, you know you're going to experience something special. In her solo, Haseul proved herself to be a great vocalist with a gorgeous voice who can also rock a short Narsha wig so you will respect HA. From the LOONA TV episodes of this video + her humidity-stricken hair, one could tell that it must have been so hard to bear the cold while filming, but it was so worth it - the magical Icelandic landscapes with the dead plane make up for one of the most stunning LOONA videos."

@mokimbird (8.5) — "I do need to be in a certain mood to listen to this, but it's gorgeous. I love how the strings are used here - they build in this subtle gradual way that perfectly mirrors Haseul's performance (and the lyrical themes of personal transformation and vulnerability)."

@ohaimanabu (8) — "Not to my taste, but fantastic production and Haseul serving vocals give this one replay value."

@Vixen (7.5) — "Great cello and harp in the beginning. Just like with Hyunjin’s 'I’ll Be There', the instrumental and music does all the heavy work for me here, with Haseul actually working against the song a little bit because I feel like she doesn’t give enough weight to it. But the music is honestly so great here. I love how it managed to sound very orchestral and almost opera-like, but it also has some Latin spices with obvious little winks to a slow Tango, Salsa, Rumba, etc., music. The song is just one long crescendo, which I like, but that sadly fails to hit a proper climax because of Haseul’s reservations vocally which is why I’m hoping someone like Chuu gets to cover it. Amazing ending, though.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Well, like I said, I think vocally Haseul lets it down a little bit. It feels a bit reserved, timid, not full of confidence. I’ve touched about this in the past, but Haseul has some placement issues which makes most of her notes sound suuuuper tight. It doesn’t help that she constantly sings in headvoice, or when she mixes, it’s super heady and placed in her nose. That being said, the sustained D5 she does in the climax is pretty nice. More of that, queen!"

@ohnostalgia (7) — "Not as jazzy as HeeJin, not as ~moody~ as HyunJin. A song that tips between beige and pretty."

@yuuurei (7) — "I find some of the lyrics here strange, but the song in general is very pretty. HaSeul has a beautiful voice."

@Remorque (6.5) — "I see they went with HaSeul's aesthetic for LOOΠΔ 1/3's album? Ice kween though, as I'm living for the video and the general aesthetic here. The song itself isn't really something I'm going to revisit, but the girl gives us a nice performance, seaux..."

@ryjm (6) — "Momseul, our androgynous queen, has probably the most cinematic sounding solo, with sweeping instrumentation and an incredibly beautiful video. The curse of HaSeul is one of the most iconic LOONATV arcs, but despite this, our non-official (ex) leader delivered a solo befitting of her classical training background. Knowing now just how flawlessly HaSeul can belt out operatic vocals, it feels like BBC missed a trick here by not giving her a more vocally demanding and complex solo."

@Slice of Life (6) — "I really want to give this is a good score because the production is amazing. But HaSeul's vocals are uncharacteristically nasal here. What happened, girl? I was expecting a lot from you."

@GeiPanda (6) — "I like that this song attempted some #atmosphere, but it's just a bit... boring."

@Cotton Park (6) — "HaSeul handles LOONA's second ballad, a lush ballad with syrupy dripping strings. The rolling chorus and HaSeul's soft delivery elevates the song to some place a notch above most completely unmemorable OST ballads that South Korea cranks out like sausage."

@Ana Raquel (5) — "It just... exists? I don't mind hearing it if it's on shuffle but that's it."

@Empty Shoebox (5) — "Maybe some thing's been lost in translation here, but all I know is that the lyrics are not having the desired effect on me."

@ThighHighs (4.5) — "Wahhh I don’t like this. She’s so pretty tho. It’s lovely enough, but it just does nothing to bring me back for repeated listens."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (4) — "the song shows haseul vocal strengths well but where it tries to be subtle it's just plain."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. Hi, can I get uuuuh delete this subforum?

[​IMG]

11. EXCUSE ME

MISS "I NEED A CHACHA BEAT, BOY" TWILIGHT IS ICONIC. HOW IS IT OUT ALREADY.

RUNAWAY, junglefish, Rem and 9 others like this.
  12. Hmmm I do think 'Let Me In' is slightly overrated at times (and so is Haseul's voice, but I digress), but there's no way this isn't top 25 material or that 'ViViD' deserves to beat this... This definitely shouldn't have left yet. I regret not scoring it higher now.

13. Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Its placement didn't change much from the start huh? But I think I also low-scored it a bit, maybe due to being a little tired of it at the time. I probably could have given it maybe a point or so more. Oops. 미안해 MamaSeul.

myblood, junglefish, Rem and 7 others like this.
  14. So far the only observation I feel like sharing is:
    Kim Lip was born to be giffed. My goodness.
    That Twilight gif made me (momentarily) forget how you evil ones trashed it.

lip1.gif

Sanctuary, Rem, Serg. and 8 others like this.
  15. This is tragic.

16. Wait are we talking about Secret's utterly flawless human being Song Jieun?
    If so, I would have given it two extra points.

17. Nooooo I should’ve given it a 10.

myblood, Sanctuary, Rem and 9 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.