☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. I'm honestly baffled by some of the hate towards favOrite here. It isn't quite the culmination of all things LOONA as the twink Blockberry intern described; it's an entirely different Frankenstein's monster altogether. And that's what makes it so special. It isn't afraid to completely disrupt its soundscape and aggravate the listener. Not only is the "Brrrrrrrah!" part so kitsch in its execution; just the mere thought of the producer telling/teaching Heejin how to do it in the recording studio is iconic.

Within the unusual structure though; there's a really simple frenetic energy that builds up and explodes at each chorus. It kind of reminds me of 90's/2000's Britney songs in that sense - the "you might think that I won't make it on my own..." leading into the chorus in Stronger for example.

favOrite also made me stan Jinsoul. To me, this song is her shining moment. In the OEC era, I was quite indifferent towards her. Her icy concept didn't feel genuine - I felt like she was styled more edgy than she actually was as a person, if that makes sense? But she gets so many KEY parts in this song, and I get why. The performance from Show Champion that @vague posted captures them so well.

Her first lines done with effortless style:
    [​IMG]

Her initiating the second verse slow-down-fakeout:
    [​IMG]

Her "only you love!" done with such charisma. (Ddd this part makes me imagine the LOONA girls as having British accents - only you, love!):
    [​IMG]

Her smirking, knowing what's coming up in less than 20 secs (also, she looks especially like SNSD Hyoyeon here):
    [​IMG]

And then, THIS (2:37 in the video). I almost have no words. Her living her best life, belting out those ad-libs. It's this queer Asian boy's dream come to fruition:
    [​IMG]

At first, I was baffled why they randomly chose Jinsoul to do this part. But it all makes complete sense. Her voice has a perfect grit to it, that the lead singers in the group don't possess. She also brims with such amazing stage presence - girl knows how to smile with her eyes, for sure. A real quadruple threat.

Basically, in short - I get Jinsoul now, girls.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Kinda apt favOriTe goes out right before top twelve, as it ushered in LOONA proper. But marinating on the song it's a ten I don't regret....

I regret giving Heart Attack a 9.75

3. '
    ajnasfkjbasfasasfaasl @ this gif. Art.

4. As in you wanted to give it an 11 and now regret undermarking it?

Great!

Rem, DrinkMyTears, nikkysan and 15 others like this.
  5. Because it deserves a 10??????? Right???????

[​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

I had no idea Uncover was a fan favourite, I might’ve been more careful with my words. ... actually probably not. Now can Sweet Crazy Love go?

nikkysan, Sanctuary, Serg. and 4 others like this.
  7. Of Course! I thought that was self explanatory...
    [​IMG]

Rem, DrinkMyTears, nikkysan and 12 others like this.
  8. So ... some OEC album tracks finally fall, but they're the best ones of the bunch??? I really can't with y'all. As for Favorite (i can't remember how this title is stylized www) I didn't realize some people dislike it that much.

Sanctuary, vague, Vixen and 1 other person like this.

9. Their most overrated song finally out, c'mon SITR let's go for the win!

[​IMG]

10. @lovlands Welcome here! Hope you have fun.

Take that back right away.

11. [​IMG]

vague likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

Rem, RUNAWAY, Serg. and 8 others like this.
  13. Oh, so it's your fault. I see.

I hope 'Egoist' goes next so you know what pain feels like.

Oleander and vague like this.
  14. Ok but Stan Jinsoul all the way. Welcome to the club love!

nikkysan, GeiPanda, Oleander and 3 others like this.
  15. In the top 10 where it belongs x

16. I didn't realize favOriTe wasn't universally liked. It freaking knocks. The Jessie J synth did that.

17. He

He

Ew to all of you who don’t think Uncover is perfect.

Rem, Love Deluxe, nikkysan and 8 others like this.
  18. all three songs leaving today have something in common . . .

that thing will be more apparent after the second elimination, but for now . . .

[​IMG]

In your eyes that have become cold
    I can't see myself anymore
    And the words I couldn't say
    They're useless now

[​IMG]

No.11
    Love Letter

by LOOΠΔ / Kim Lip & JinSoul

Score: 8.606

High scores: 10×11 (@Dangerous Maknae, @Coming Century, @RUNAWAY, @Love Deluxe, @Slice of Life, @eliminathan, @Vixen, @Oleander, @He, @_hazzie_, @vague), 9.75×1 (@BEST FICTION), 9.5×3 (@ohnostalgia, @yuuurei, @Charles Vingt-†rois)
    Low scores: 5.5×1 (@teerofinale), 6×2 (@Empty Shoebox, @Mikl C), 7×5 (@HappyBirthday, @nikkysan, @soratami, @Remorque, @Cotton Park)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: No.13, 8.7 avg.
    10 ballots: No.11 (tied), 8.7 avg.
    15 ballots: No.7 (tied), 8.933 avg.
    20 ballots: No.9, 8.9 avg.
    25 ballots: No.11, 8.76 avg.
    30 ballots: No.10, 8.708 avg.
    35 ballots: No.11, 8.636 avg.
    40 ballots: No.11, 8.631 avg.
    45 ballots: No.11, 8.583 avg.
    50 ballots: No.11, 8.585 avg.
    54 ballots: No.11, 8.606 avg.

"Love Letter" is the b-side to JinSoul's solo single album, released on June 26, 2017, and features vocals from Kim Lip and JinSoul. HeeJin, HyunJin, and HaSeul covered the song at the LOOΠΔbirth concert on August 19, 2018. The song was written by MonoTree's Park Jiyeon and Agnes Shin, arranged by MonoTree's NOPARI, and composed by MonoTree's Lee Juhyung and NOPARI.

In the description for the "Singing in the Rain" MV, BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    Literal perfection, tbh. Before "Eclipse" or "Singing in the Rain" - the first two LOOΠΔ tracks I heard - really sunk their hooks into me, this was the song I kept going back to. I live for these dramatic ass, melancholic not-quite-a-bop/not-quite-a-midtempo songs, and this one has perfected that formula to me. I'm so proud of this lil b-side lasting as long as it has - outlasting several singles and bigger bops, and even managing to sneak its way into the top ten several times during voting. No.11 feels like a pretty good spot for it in the end, too, considering what's left.

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this is the song that made me believe that Jinsoul could be a main vocal. She slays this song with her gorgeous, beautiful voice. It's a really incredible song and makes me feel so many emotions all at once."

@Slice of Life (10) — "The best K-Pop duet since... IU and Gain's Everybody Has Secrets??? Stunning, stunning work from LOONA's best members. Yes, I went there. JinSoul literally saved the K-Pop industry with that high note. Also, it's weird but I love Kimmie's pronunciation of "cheoreom" in the second verse ddddd."

@eliminathan (10) — "Easily the best of the duet b-sides. This song has so much power it's ridiculous."

@Vixen (10) — "This is a FUCKING masterpiece!!!!! I almost gave this my 11 because it’s genuinely THAT good. The instrumental makes for a very atmospheric and sensual vibe, and AGAIN, LOONA came through with another amazing key change on the last chorus. This is such a great slice of RnB Pop again, so dreamy, creamy and silky with lovely beautiful vocals from our blondies.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Main vocalist Jinsoul came through with that belt in the bridge. A really nice run through the fifth octave, on some C#5, D5, Eb5 mainly. What’s so great about this belt is that Jinsoul pulled a lot of her chest voice in her mix which makes for such a big change because all the other girls before her have a very heady mix. It gives the vocal a very rounded feeling. It’s a shame because I think this is the only time she did this, and most of her belted notes that came after this have become very heady as well. Also credits where it’s due, but Kim Lip has also a very sweet falsetto D#5/E5 ad-lib on the last chorus."

@He (10) — "Phew, this duet needed a video. Why didn’t you make it happen bbc? I still get a bit sad when Lip coons “I’m really really lonely”. Same, girl, same. I still can’t decide if this is my favorite b-side, but it’s at least top2."

@ohnostalgia (9.5) — "How is her voice so amazing????? Give me a solo JinSoul album to be honest."

@yuuurei (9.5) — "A lovely and charismatic duet, the girls sound really good together. The lyrics are sadder than I expected. I really like the way JinSoul sings the 'Listen, listen' lines."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (9.5) — "Great exploration of their lower register."

@ryjm (9) — "Combining two of the most powerful members of the group was bound to result in pure magic, so the fact that Love Letter proved to be one of the best b-sides was inevitable. Love Letter acts as a sonic precursor to what would be the overall soundscape of Odd Eye Circle and is absolutely stunning. Both members sound heavenly together and deliver an effortlessly emotive and powerful performance."

@send photo (9) — "Lowkey not a fan of b-sides riding through rates but whew, sis did that. This is pretty ethereal and trancy, the exact aesthetic I look for in K-Pop. And a key change? Mediocre Illusion wishes."

@Ana Raquel (9) — "Easily one of the best b-sides."

@ohaimanabu (9) — "I use this one so much. a queer bop!"

@ThighHighs (9) — "That chorus does things to me. They sound so good together and I live for a melancholy key change."

@Petit nain des Îles (9) — "Love the wobbly synths in the chorus, and the verses are simply bliss. JinSoul did it again."

@eccentricsimply (8.5) — "I like the Heejin, Haseul and Hyunjin version better nñn" (miranda_cosgrove_interesting.bmp)

@mokimbird (8) — "really beautiful. the final chorus never fails to send me."

@GeiPanda (8) — "It's so well-produced."

@codecat (7.5) — "A beautiful duet with strong harmonies that sounds a tad artificial to me. Maybe it's the key change or the extraness of the chorus and its consequent post-chorus. But it's still beautiful, heartfelt, and they sound great together."

@Remorque (7) — "This is quite the enjoyable song, but I expected just a smidge more? Both girls sound great and the production's fabulous too."

@Empty Shoebox (6) — "I think this suffers from its position in the running order here, and it's another that sounds very familiar."

soratami, Rem, aaronhansome and 21 others like this.
  19. ☽ TOP TEN ☾

[​IMG]
    Eclipse

[​IMG]
    Singing in the Rain

[​IMG]
    Love Cherry Motion

[​IMG]
    Girl Front

[​IMG]
    LOONATIC

[​IMG]
    Sweet Crazy Love

[​IMG]
    new

[​IMG]
    Heart Attack

[​IMG]
    Egoist (feat. JinSoul)

[​IMG]
    love4eva (feat. Grimes)

20. I mean... Love Letter could've made Top 10 over LOONATIC and it'd be perfect, but other than that the Top 10 is what it needed to be, so no complaints.

Ideally it'll go:

10. LOONATIC
    9. Singing In The Rain
    8. love4eva
    7. Girl Front
    6. Egoist
    5. new
    4. Love Cherry Motion
    3. Heart Attack
    2. Eclipse
    1. Sweet Crazy Love

Rem, Love Deluxe, Sanctuary and 8 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.