☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. I liked you better when you had a Shane Gould avatar and I didn't know about your flop taste.

Rem, Oleander, evilsin and 12 others like this.
  2. Seeing those particular OEC album tracks in the top 10
    vivi7.gif

Wondering if Love Cherry Motion is next out
    vivi7.gif

Seeing all these questionable opinions
    vivi7.gif

Anyway I'd love it if SCL, Loonatic and Girl Front left back to back next but clearly you're all insane so I give up!

3. When @vague finishes an entire rate before I probably hit #75 in mine.

[​IMG]

Realizing I’m running out of time to write my 11 commentary.

[​IMG]

Reading the phrase “underscored Heart Attack”

[​IMG]

Rem, Oleander, evilsin and 11 others like this.
  4. while i had a lovely nap, did anyone correctly guess the pattern of today's eliminations? let's see . . .​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moonlight shining on me is a spotlight
    It gradually follows me, contact my heart
    The familiar déjà vu of a night I don't remember
    When the light reaches my eyes, I don't really care now

[​IMG]

No.9
    LOONATIC

by LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE

Score: 8.841

High scores: 11×1 (@OspreyQueen), 10×19 (@PopZeitgeist, @Sanctuary, @codecat, @Reboot, @Rainbow Trousers, @Serg., @ohnostalgia, @Love Deluxe, @ddog, @Ana Raquel, @HappyBirthday, @soratami, @askew, @GeiPanda, @aaronhansome, @McQueer, @Petit nain des Îles, @_hazzie_, @Cotton Park), 9.5×4 (@DrinkMyTears, @mokimbird, @Oleander, @Charles Vingt-†rois)
    Low scores: 6×1 (@yuuurei), 6.5×2 (@Dangerous Maknae, @RUNAWAY), 7×3 (@clowezra, @Kuhleezi, @Animalia)
    My score: 8.75

5 ballots: No.14, 8.65 avg.
    10 ballots: No.8, 8.875 avg.
    15 ballots: No.10, 8.883 avg.
    20 ballots: No.10, 8.888 avg.
    25 ballots: No.9, 8.93 avg.
    30 ballots: No.9, 8.75 avg.
    35 ballots: No.10, 8.653 avg.
    40 ballots: No.10, 8.646 avg.
    45 ballots: No.9, 8.73 avg.
    50 ballots: No.9, 8.757 avg.
    54 ballots: No.9, 8.841 avg.

"LOONATIC" is the third track on LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE's debut mini-album, "Mix&Match", released on September 21, 2017. An English version of the song was released as ODD EYE CIRCLE's first digital single on October 23, 2017, and was also included on the limited physical edition of their repackage mini-album, "Max&Match". The song was written by MonoTree's G-High, and arranged+composed by MonoTree's G-High and Kim Yooseok. Simple T wrote the lyrics to the English version of the song.

In the description for the "Girl Front" MV, BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    The little song that could, honestly. Even though a few of you have been calling for this to go for a while now, the song seems to be fairly well regarded on here, with near unanimous praise from the commentators and its lowest score only being a 6. Once this reached the top ten with the second set of voters, it didn't leave once; not every song in the top ten can say that.

@OspreyQueen (11) — "Okay, I am in LOVE with this one. It sounds like the theme song from some sci-fi cartoon I would have watched as a kid, which is absolutely a sound I can get behind. And since I don’t have any personal connections with any of these songs or anything, I guess this is my 11."

@codecat (10) — "OEC's crowning glory. It's so menacing, acidic, so out there - especially in a universe like K-pop - and it's proof that OEC have the most accomplished efforts at pushing the pop envelope and playing around with unfamiliar sounds and instruments. It just packs a lot: weird ass lyrics, honey-sweet vocals soured with reverb and gritty guitars, plastic drums mixed with real ones...it's just an absolute triumph. Also refrain from any sort of foul-mouthed G***** comparisons - she WISHES she could plink plonk like this."

@ohnostalgia (10) — "Death by ethereal vocals is a respectable way to go, right?"

@Ana Raquel (10) — "A serious contender for the best sub-unit song as well."

@HappyBirthday (10) — "The Art Angels single that never was. Am I crazy or does this sound like the English version was written first?"

@GeiPanda (10) — "I'm going to have a personal vendetta against anyone who rates this less than a 10. I've said it before... if you haven't gotten high and listened to this, y'all are missing out on a transcendent experience."

@Petit nain des Îles (10) — "One of their best intros, and I'll die on that hill. It feels like the soundtrack to a hit and run at night in a futuristic world, or like I'm 8 again playing the nightly missions from Sonic Adventure 2. No idea where I'm going with this, but HOW did this not get a music video? It's not too late unnies! One of the best discovers of this rate."

@mokimbird (9.5) — KOR: "OEC gave us some of LOONA's most off-the-wall, exciting material: here they do their best take on Grimes, bridging a psychedelic soundscape with the honed, focused songwriting we know and love from Monotree." / ENG: "just as good as the original. i like how the voices are more prominent in the mix here, though it took some time to get used to." (@mokimbird was kind enough to write commentary for both versions of the song ❤❤❤)

@Oleander (9.5) — "Confession time: I always seem to forget that a Korean version of this song even existed. It lowkey sounds better in English dddd. But that’s only due to me conditioning myself by listening to it on my exercise playlist so much."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (9.5) — "It's not a 10 because it's not Kill V Maim but it's close. (Would have appreciated a more subtle production work on the vocals)."

@ryjm (8.5) — "This Grimes inspired slice of dream pop is fucking incredible, whether it be in Korean or English (let’s be real, with how deep in the mix the vocals are does it even matter?) the song is a fascinating listen. The song feels like a producer’s playground of ideas, with instrumentation taking more of a priority over the vocals, this ambiguity continues OEC’s otherworldly theme and the song just goes off. BBC’s description of the song mimicking the experience of riding a rollercoaster is apt, what a fucking ride!"

@eccentricsimply (8.5) — "I actually like the version in english better solely because of the 'you make me feel so lunatic'."

@teerofinale (8) — "Can we say bop? Yes we can! A great album song that even got an English version (even though I can barely understand the lyrics without the subs dddd). BUT this is cute little bop nonetheless and doesn’t get old no matter how many times you listen."

@Slice of Life (8) — "A grower. I used to hate, hate, HATE this so much but I weirdly like this now??? Again, ugh, their minds. Chaotic is still the best Mix & Match album track but I can't deny LOONATIC's amazingness too."

@Empty Shoebox (8) — "I rated the Korean version because I'm that kind of shitstick. It seems a bit of a mess, but sometimes it works?"

@ohaimanabu (8) — "Immensely catchy sing-a-long tune with really fun bass synth and guitars in the mix."

@Vixen (8) — "We love LOONA’s attempt at a K-Pop Grimes/CHVRCHES song. I do think this is pretty cute, and I just love how diverse they are in their own little synthpop niche they’ve been building for themselves. The song is, at times, a little bit grating too, but it’s definitely not a bad track at all.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Not much to decipher here. It’s very airy, heady and falsetto-ish. They in fact merged a little bit too much with one another here. It almost sound like a solo at times, just with many backing vocals."

@Remorque (8) — "This song is a mess and a half as the production seems to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at it and the vocal production is shoddy as all hell, but I can't help but love it. It's bonkers and it sounds so fucking urgent. It literally does not let you breathe. Queens."

@He (8) — "LOONA meets Grimes and it sounds great. While I have to admit I don’t return to this as often, it still quite magical and the sugary rush non stop production is great. The vocals are maybe a bit anonymous but I think the song definitely wouldn’t be as special without them. The English version sucks."

@ThighHighs (8) — "It’s genius, but all a bit messily put together."

@eliminathan (7.25) — "I like it but the high pitched voices that just keep getting higher pitched during the bridge is a bit much to listen to at times."

@RUNAWAY (6.5) — "this song is also not where it's at for me, at all. I used to like it, but the novelty of Loona doing dream pop really wears off quick."

@yuuurei (6) — "I wanted to like this more, but between the high-pitched vocals and the slightly annoying beat, I'm just not feeling it. I don't hate it or anything, but it just sort of gives me a headache."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    soratami, Rem, aaronhansome and 27 others like this.
  5. I have 5 10s (including my 11) left, so the rest should go:
    8. Egoist
    7. Love Cherry Motion
    6. Sweet Crazy Love
    5. Girl Front
    4. Singing In The Rain
    3. Eclipse
    2. Heart Attack
    1. new

nikkysan, Serg. and vague like this.
  6. I really cracked the code and then got my fave track eliminated. Sasha Belle 2.0

[​IMG]

7. Heart Attack or Girl Front can leave next. I don't know when I want Love Cherry Motion to leave as we know it did change the face of all recorded music.

8. I have 6 10s (including my 11) left, so the rest should go:

08. Girl Front
    07. Egoist
    06. Love Cherry Motion
    05. Singing In The Rain
    04. new
    03. Eclipse
    02. Sweet Crazy Love
    01. Heart Attack​

xoxo

vague likes this.
  9. 08. Girl Front
    07. Heart Attack
    06. Egoist
    05. Love Cherry Motion
    04. Singing in the Rain
    03. Sweet Crazy Love
    02. New
    01. Eclipse

vague likes this.
  10. ddd sometimes blindsides are necessary

11. Egoist or Sweet Crazy Love to go next, then the rest I'd be happy-to-overjoyed with winning.

[​IMG]

vague likes this.
  12. The more of these ranking lists I see, the more it's becoming painfully obvious that I am gonna have to accept the fact that Egoist didn't make the Top 5 at the very least. Taste lost.

[​IMG]

13. 8. Girl Front
    7. Sweet Crazy Love
    6. Heart Attack (my score isn’t going to reflect 7 & 6 though nñn)
    5. Egoist
    4. Love Cherry Motion
    3. Eclipse
    2. new
    1. Singing In The Rain

My 11, four 10s, one 9, one 8 and one 7 (which I would change to at least a 9 now). Not bad.

vague likes this.
  14. Hang on baby wolf!
    [​IMG]

15. This is a VERY solid top 10, it just made me realize how strong LOONA's pre-debut discography is.....

With that said, Eclipse better be the winner of this rate

talent won.png

Rem, DrinkMyTears, Oleander and 7 others like this.
  16. If Heart Attack wins because the members who have a soul couldn't stand the thought of giving Chuu a low score it'd be iconic.

Rem, DrinkMyTears, Oleander and 17 others like this.
  17. I think 'new' has this locked, to be honest.

'Eclipse' has too many "Ugh, Kim Lip and 'Eclipse' are TOO overrated! I give this a 0!!!!" to win, sadly, but 'new' usually sits at like #2-4 on pretty much every list people do when rating their singles, so I'm sure it will be the one to prevail as it seems amongst the least divisive.

18. Does it nñn

19. me thinking about the meltdowns the first song out tomorrow will cause
    [​IMG]

soratami, Rem, aaronhansome and 19 others like this.
  20. Listen, please spare me this rate has been a never ending downwards spiral to me, if it's one of my leftover 10s or my 11 don't tag me.

Rem, Oleander, ohaimanabu and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.