☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Egoist is cute but definitely not top 4 material.

2. Girl Front being superior PREACH

3. I'm catching up and just saw Heart Attack was eliminated.

[​IMG]

Rem, evilsin, Kuhleezi and 13 others like this.
  4. nkfjbkjnfkbjfgjbklnfkgljnbfkn.

Tea! Get Olivia Hye out!

New > Eclipse > Girl Front > Egoist.

5. Just because my taste is nuanced!

[​IMG]

junglefish, evilsin, codecat and 6 others like this.
  6. Olivia wasn't cut? Yaaaaasssssssssss! Baby wolf lives on to fight for another day. She's coming for that Top 3 spot. Or maybe not ddd.

[​IMG]

As for the people calling for her to leave, all that we....ugh what's her fan name......Little Olives......have to say is...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  7. Son Hyejoo is fully deserving of being top 4 and that's that on that.

8. Oh phew that was my lowest score left.

vague likes this.
  9. this went well for me so OOP

PopZeitgeist, nikkysan and vague like this.
  10. My Girl Front commentary is getting more and more relatable by the day but at this rate we are never going to see it.

ohaimanabu, evilsin, codecat and 4 others like this.
  11. SUFFER BINCH X

Oleander, Rem, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  12. LLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT

He, PopZeitgeist and vague like this.
  13. damn here i was chillin through all the new vs eclipse shit thinking this had it in the bag smh!!!!!

14. can’t sleep and since it is technically tomorrow here . . .

i had no idea this song was so well received on here, but i'm glad it is; it's fantastic . . .

[​IMG]

In this universe with countless stars, I met you
    It wasn't a coincidence, it was destiny
    It was a blessing for me
    From now on, I'll love myself instead of you

[​IMG]

No.4
    Egoist (feat. JinSoul)

by LOOΠΔ / Olivia Hye

Score: 9.352

High scores: 11×5 (@PopZeitgeist, @eliminathan, @Mikl C, @Oleander, @Petit nain des Îles), 10×24 (@Dangerous Maknae, @teerofinale, @ryjm, @enjoy, @Coming Century, @Rainbow Trousers, @RUNAWAY, @Love Deluxe, @send photo, @ddog, @Slice of Life, @Empty Shoebox, @HappyBirthday, @nikkysan, @yuuurei, @BEST FICTION, @Rem, @Island, @Kuhleezi, @Animalia, @mokimbird, @Remorque, @He, @vague), 9.5×2 (@DrinkMyTears, @ThighHighs)
    Low scores: 6×1 (@askew), 6.5×1 (@Sanctuary), 7.5×1 (@Serg.)
    My score: 10

5 ballots: No.5 (tied), 9.5 avg.
    10 ballots: No.5 (tied), 9.3 avg.
    15 ballots: No.3, 9.3 avg.
    20 ballots: No.4, 9.3 avg.
    25 ballots: No.4, 9.38 avg.
    30 ballots: No.4, 9.45 avg.
    35 ballots: No.3 (tied), 9.471 avg.
    40 ballots: No.3 (tied), 9.425 avg.
    45 ballots: No.4, 9.378 avg.
    50 ballots: No.4, 9.34 avg.
    54 ballots: No.4, 9.352 avg.

"Egoist (feat. JinSoul)" is Olivia Hye's debut single from her self-titled solo single album, released on March 30, 2018. The song was written by Jaden Jeong and MonoTree's Park Jiyeon; composed by Artronic Waves, LAB301, Pablo Groove, and Lafee; and arranged by Artronic Waves, LAB301, and Pablo Groove. A different version of the MV with additional shots of JinSoul dancing in the parking garage was shown at CINEMA THEORY events, but, again, i couldn’t find it on YouTube.

In the description for its MV, BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    The hype for Olivia Hye as the last girl was out of this world, and the fact that she not only delivered on that hype, but, for me surpassed it, is nothing short of incredible. She's such a fierce performer, but the juxtaposition of her performance abilities and her (ddd this sounds harsher than I mean it to but) lovable loser personality showcased on LOOΠΔ TV endears her to me so much. @Rainbow Trousers once called her the "Eeyore of the group" or something like that in the LOOΠΔ thread, and that has stuck with me, and I think kind of colored my view of her a bit ddd. But, anyway, this song is utterly fantastic, and was the best possible ending to the whole solo debut project.

@eliminathan (11) — "This song is so much better produced musically than any other song in the rate. The layering of the music with the echoes is sublime. The multiple vocals in the chorus with the lower range backing vocals. The whistling bullshit. The surround sound instrumental during the rap. Everything is simply unbeatable. If I were to chronologically rate the solos on how good they are I would use the commonplace calendar eras that all Orbits should follow: BE(Before Eclipse) and AD(in the year of our lip) but Egoist would be the breakpoint where a new calender era is formed. Everything AD is better produced than the BE songs but Egoist is the start of a new era of quality that yyxy and the final group should continue. If all of that went over your heads because it was a jumbled gibberish bullshit mess then I'm just trying to say that Egoist is what other songs should aspire to be just like Eclipse was before it. Egoist is the new comparative high point."

@Oleander (11) — "Ms. Ollie. Ms. Hyejoo. Ms. Olivia. Ms. Olivia Hye. Ms. Olivia Columbia Hye. Ms. Olivia Argentina Bolivia French Guiana Guyana Costa Rica Guatemala Nicaragua Panama Venezuela Columbia Hye. Ms. Olivia Argentina Bolivia French Guiana Guyana Costa Rica Guatemala Nicaragua Panama Venezuela Columbia, raise up and down, Hye! Ms. Olivia Argentina Bolivia French Guiana Guyana Costa Rica Guatemala Nicaragua Panama Venezuela Columbia, don’t raise up, don’t put down, Hye! (Serious question….Is the joke she made about her name which I copied a reference to that dance move that was cut from the video or is it something else? Someone tell me ddd)

What can I say about you and this song that hasn’t already been said? You had a lot of expectations surrounding you considering you were the final girl. The girl who would finally bring LOONA together and make our “girl of the month” themed group complete. Looking back, it’s crazy how people doubted you but you proved all the doubters wrong the second the teaser for this song dropped. That in and of itself was amazing but then the whole song dropped and you blew us all away. You became the definition of “save the best for last” with this song, Ms. Hye. Then the video…...you showed us that you were a true fierce wolf that had Shakira shaking her hips in fear and Homura Akemi going back in time ad nauseum to try and make herself as badass as you. Many people say that they wish they were as amazing as Kim Lip but the truth is that is never going to happen cause she is on another level. She is untouchable. What they need to realize is that you are us and we are you. What I mean by that is that you are the physical embodiment of the word “relatable.” It was clear from the second you made your LOONAtv debut that behind the fierce wolf there was a silly, awkward, fun girl. Then over time that side completely took over and we got to see you be the cute wolf cub you always were but you never let us forget that you could kill us in half a second if you wanted to when you let your sassy side come out ddd. You’re like all those awkward and nerdy girls who go on ANTM and who everyone doubts but the second the camera comes on, they blow everyone away with their talent. You’re on a role model of sorts, I suppose. I said I wasn’t going to write a thesis paper for this song but here I go, ruining my plans once again. But now onto the song itself which is what we’re all here for. This is the self-love, self-empowerment anthem to end all self-love, self-empowerment anthems. There is not a single flaw in this song. None. And those low notes? I could listen to them all day. I live for girls with low voices and you are no different, Ms. Hye. Basically, with this song and video, you showed us that were you the badass binch we knew you were from the teasers. Maybe I’m slightly biased because you were the girl who debuted after I became a LOONA fan, your stage name starts with an “O,” and you were revealed during my birth month but even from an objective standpoint, this song fucking rocks and I’d still give it my 11 even if you had debuted at a different time. I know you’re going to keep blowing us all away with the future music you and the rest of the group release and will provide us with endless moments on LOONAtv that will endear you to us even more than you already have if that is even possible. Fighting!"

@Petit nain des Îles (11) — "For some reason, I've had both Olivia Hye solo songs on my phone for the past six months, and didn't even realize that she was from LOONA dddd. Probably among my favorite pop releases of 2018. Probably the best chorus out of their entire discography as well? So many uncovered layers that I notice everytime. The post chorus is heavenlike. I hesitated between this one and Rosy, but this one has way too many out there elements that, in theory, shouldn't work together, but thanks to everyone who worked on this, is a success. I could go on and on, and even write a thesis about it once the stems are available. Just take my 11 and let me catch my breath before I pass out."

@teerofinale (10) — "This was almost my 11 but my heart belongs to another song. This song is such a emotional song for me personally. The lyrics definitely relate to past crushes/love interest. Especially the “Love my myself today. Let you go today.” lines. Oh and JinSoul’s rap? YES YES YES! But musically the break right after the first chorus and before JinSoul’s rap is everything to me! Now if we can just get a choreography video of it I’d die a happy Orbit ddd"

@ryjm (10) — "Yas Olivia Slae! LOOΠΔ really wanted to finish on an absolute banger. The vicious wolf came to destroy (without hesitation) all our biases and delivered the most visceral and dark LOONA bop to date. The production goes hard with the thick production, demented OEC-esque breakdown, FinSoul's slick rap, and enough hairography to secure Olivia a L'Oréal sponsorship. This really was an incredible way to complete a group ready to dominate the world. The MV is one of the most epic videos in their catalogue, with beautifully striking imagery (the binch has wolf eyes that shoot fucking lasers for crying out loud). Olivia Hye’s story of betrayal and self-love is one of the most engrossing arcs within the Loonaverse. It’s a travesty that we never got to see her neck-breaking roll in the video but I’ll let that slide. The self-love anthem the world needed."

@RUNAWAY (10) — "this song still goes so hard and really delivers all of the feels."

@Love Deluxe (10) — "We love an industrial sounding Dangerous Woman deep-cut. My only complaint is that the production on the chorus is so present that it almost drowns out her vocals."

@send photo (10) — "That production is lush, hands down the best of 3/3."

@Slice of Life (10) — "A stunning end to the solo pre-debut era. And Olivia Hye didn't even need the strongest vocals to do that. Talent. The production is apocalyptic in the best way. Olivia's vocals are delicate. JinSoul's rap is a welcome addition. A towering achievement."

@Empty Shoebox (10) — "I will admit that I can't think of this song without the translated lyrics, because it's basically bitch_me_too_the_fuck.gif for me. We all know that Olivia isn't the most gifted vocalist, but this song is good."

@HappyBirthday (10) — "I don’t normally like reaction videos, but I love peoples’ reaction to the drop. Brilliant."

@yuuurei (10) — "The runner-up for my 11. This is absolutely perfect and these are some of my favorite lyrics in their discography, right after new. Something about it gives me an impression of swimming through deep water and looking at the light sparkling on the surface (... idk what I'm talking about either). Olivia's voice is super pretty, and the rap from JinSoul is amazing. Like, what a way to make sure last wasn't least."

@Rem (10) — "The whistle is so addictive and the fucking drop, oh my god. Also my girl JinSoul slays on this song."

@mokimbird (10) — "it was my last year of college, and it was still 40 degrees in April. i was tired of doing school, i was tired of shrugging my way through classes and social niceties while the world around me was on fire, and i was tired of pretending to be okay when it felt like an earthquake was about to tear through everything i knew about adulthood and about life. enter "Egoist," a song about that moment when your lover's face turns cold; that moment when another person can no longer be your home; that moment when you realize it'll take more than time to heal from the pain the world has inflicted on you. "i'll start loving myself a little bit more; i'll continue to live on" (and fuuuuck, did anybody else just pick up on that as a reference to "love & live"?) is both an embittered declaration and, despite itself, a triumph. i walked through the streets of Boston, glaring at everybody in my path. i dug my headphones as far into my ears as i could. i let this song soak through my veins like slush through boots. i let it burn me up."

@Remorque (10) — "I remember being just a smidge underwhelmed when this first came out, because everybody was raving about it so much, but it steadily grew into a fave of mine. Olivia herself gives us a lovely performance, but we love an iconic breakdown post-first chorus and JinSoul shows us exactly what she's good at. Love her rapping here!"

@He (10) — "A perfect song to close the most amazing, convoluted and high budget predebut. Queen wolf came and destroyed this dark concept. She served moody lower register vocals, an amazing chorus and self love lyrics. The video was incredible once again: the murder of vivi; setting fire to everything from the subunits; Yves man hands; and that fucking ending with Heejin approaching Olivia was nothing short of masterful. Jinsoul also snapped."

@ohnostalgia (9) — "Blackpink’s Whistle found rotting. Also is there anything JinSoul can’t do?"

@Ana Raquel (9) — "Iconic red eyes. Iconic drop. Iconic bad rap." (...bad rap?)

@Charles Vingt-†rois (9) — "Olivia saved me. You know this song will be good from the first line."

@codecat (8.5) — "I wish I were as iconic at 16 like Miss Olivia HYE. Her solo is another proof of how exciting LOONA singles are - industrial, hot-blooded and packed with the most powerful chorus and A+ whistling, Egoist is at the brink of something huge...and then Jinsoul's part comes and fucks the flow of the song. It just feels trite, disjointed and too concerned about pleasing the lore-obsessed stans. And Olivia is a natural, she's got the moves, a lovely low register, she is everything...so why should she have to share her solo? Not a good move by our friends at BBC, but not evil enough as to eclipse the overall brilliance of Egoist."

@Vixen (8.5) — "The pulsing and overexposed piano at the start is a mood, and God, can we talk about Olivia’s lower register which is so amazing and almost makes the following gooey and pouty vocals a little bit disappointing. The synths, like always with LOONA, are pretty great. I absolutely love the pre-chorus’ melody, and I’ve always felt a little bit underwhelmed by the chorus that follows. But then, I absolutely love the post-chorus of “Love myself today, let you go today” and I always found myself doing the routine doing that part because it’s honestly so iconique, especially with the amazing instrumental behind it. The drop is pretty cool too and a good way to take the song somewhere else. Their producers truly did it again.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: She does some pretty great low Eb3 on the first verse, that do kinda seem to have some sort of (just a bit shallow) support. And her high note in the climax is a respectable A4-B4 mixed belt that tops out at a C5/C#5 on the end. Wheew, Olivia!"

@eccentricsimply (8) — "This song had potential and the verses are really good, but I can't bring myself to enjoy the chorus or that "rap" break."

@ohaimanabu (8) — "Actually a 7 but Jinsoul's sequence earns it another point."

@GeiPanda (8) — "I seem to love everything about it (the dark soundscape, the breakdown, the MV), but for some reason I don't return to it much."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  15. ☽ TOP THREE ☾

[​IMG]
    Eclipse

[​IMG]
    Girl Front

[​IMG]
    new

16. Well. I guess that's better than 'Eclipse' or 'new' leaving.

'Girl Front' next hopefully.

17. [​IMG]

Top 4 is no easy feat with all of the fierce competition (and Girl Front). I'm fine with conceding that this song could be the third best since Eclipse and New are everyone's favourites. However, as I struggled to say in my commentary, this song is the new breakpoint in terms of just how lush a production can be in LOONA and even K-Pop in general. Egoist is absolutely the self love anthem of the rate and everyone who rated it under a 10 needs to love themselves a bitsy.

Proud of team taste @Oleander, @Petit nain des Îles, @Mikl C, and @PopZeitgeist for stanning a legend.

Why is Girl Front still here though?
    [​IMG]

18. Dddd at Girl Front scamming her way into the Top 3. Get it, sis!

19. One thing i'd like to add about Egoist is i love how the music video is the darker half of the "New". There are similar concepts and items that was shown in that video but this time they all come together to make something more sinister.

Also the hugging scene could be my favorite visual from LOONA.

Oleander, junglefish, yuuurei and 9 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.