☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • FINISHED

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. hello~ it's after midnight, so you know what that means . . .

it's time to say goodbye to one last song before the ~grand finale~ of the rate . . .

[​IMG]

Oh boy, from the moment I wake up every morning
    You're the one I think of right away, my boy
    When did you enter my heart, hey you
    I was cold, but now I'm getting hot, wow

[​IMG]

No.3
    Girl Front

by LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE

Score: 9.486

High scores: 11×5 (@HappyBirthday, @DrinkMyTears, @Rem, @Kuhleezi, @aaronhansome), 10×28 (@Dangerous Maknae, @PopZeitgeist, @Sanctuary, @junglefish, @codecat, @Rainbow Trousers, @ohnostalgia, @Love Deluxe, @send photo, @yourbetterknow, @ddog, @Slice of Life, @Ana Raquel, @Empty Shoebox, @BEST FICTION, @clowezra, @eccentricsimply, @ohaimanabu, @Mikl C, @askew, @mokimbird, @Oleander, @Remorque, @He, @Hurricane Drunk, @McQueer, @ThighHighs, @_hazzie_), 9.5×5 (@teerofinale, @ryjm, @OspreyQueen, @Petit nain des Îles, @vague)
    Low scores: 6.5×1 (@yuuurei), 6.75×1 (@Charles Vingt-†rois), 7×1 (@enjoy)
    My score: 9.5

5 ballots: No.3, 9.8 avg.
    10 ballots: No.4, 9.35 avg.
    15 ballots: No.4, 9.233 avg.
    20 ballots: No.3, 9.35 avg.
    25 ballots: No.3, 9.56 avg.
    30 ballots: No.3, 9.483 avg.
    35 ballots: No.3 (tied), 9.471 avg.
    40 ballots: No.3 (tied), 9.425 avg.
    45 ballots: No.3, 9.467 avg.
    50 ballots: No.3, 9.54 avg.
    54 ballots: No.3, 9.486 avg.

"Girl Front" is LOOΠΔ / ODD EYE CIRCLE's debut single, from their first mini-album, "Mix&Match", released on September 21, 2017. The MV was shot in Los Angeles and the song+choreo contains references to all three girls' solo releases. The song was written by Jaden Jeong, MonoTree's Hwang Hyun, and Park Jiyeon; arranged+composed by Ollipop and Hayley Aitken; and produced by Ollipop.

In the description for its MV, BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    I'll be honest, when this first came out, I was not immediately impressed. I was expecting something much harder hitting or sexier like "Eclipse" or "Singing in the Rain" - and this song definitely wasn't that. To me, it felt like a second rate "Love Cherry Motion" retread on first listen, but I was wrong, as is often the case. Instead of judging this on what it wasn't, I finally calmed tf down and learned to judge it on its own merits, and it grew and grew and grew on me until it became one of my favorite songs of last year. I still don't think it's the best thing ODD EYE CIRCLE has done as a collective or individually, but it's still a brilliantly bonkers pop song.

@HappyBirthday (11) — "The first LOONA song I heard and still my favorite. The two distinct coos in the chorus. The gorgeous backing vocals. The fact that the lyrics and choreo are OEC greatest hits. Most importantly, the propulsion- the synths hit the ground running and it maintains that energy until the bridge. The girls gather themselves for a moment and then keep on running. Brilliant."

@Rem (11) — "This was the first Loona song I heard and what a fucking tune. It caught my attention right from the start. The synth melody is so addictive and the chorus is just…iconic with the deep distorted voice. How could I not give this my 11? It’s the song that made me stan them."

@codecat
    (10) — "BBC gay intern said we were getting Eclipse + Singing In The Rain + Love Cherry Motion and although it's not exactly what they promised, it's one of the best singles and the infectious behemoth of a chorus on Girl Front may be one of the group's best aural moments. I love how it's just unabashedly fun and how it doesn't lean much on the "summer song" clichés. Plus it started the whole Converse styling and we stan that + their iconic glaring at the camera when the bridge ends."

@ohnostalgia (10) — "Pure witchy happiness."

@send photo (10) — "This is probably my most played LOONA song, if only because it’s such an upbeat positive song that’s easy to hop around and bop to when you’re walking. A true strut bop"

@Slice of Life (10) — "2017's best summer single. It's not as obvious of a summer single as, say, Red Velvet's Red Flavor. And speaking of Red Velvet, if they released Girl Front, I am so sure it would go number in the Gaon charts. Ugh."

@Ana Raquel (10) — "The best sub-unit song and it was a serious contender for my 11."

@Empty Shoebox (10) — "Get rid of the man voice thing and pronounce 'z' correctly and this song might very well be the best in here. But alas, they haven't."

@eccentricsimply (10) — "I was pleasantly surprised when this came out because I wasn't expecting something like this from OEC and it succeeded my expectations."

@ohaimanabu (10) — "Just wow. They really did it on this one. It's pop music at its best that transcends region/language barriers"

@mokimbird (10) — "a strong contender for 2017's SOTY for me. seamlessly balances all of the OEC members' colors (as vocalists and performers), conveys a genuine confidence without losing its sense of playfulness and humor (which i'd argue is the trap a lot of girl-crush aspirants fall into). the moment when they're all staring into the moon, only to turn back around onto us with a razor-sharp record scratch, warrants a 10 alone. there wasn't anything that sounded as fresh and fun as this in 2017. there still isn't."

@Remorque (10) — "Talent! What a fucking song. Seriously, after Eclipse this was the song that drew my attention, because it's so fucking uplifting and I love the general attitude of this sub-unit. They're brimful of attitude, give us a great performance and the production is some of the best I've heard last year. Fucking fantastic."

@He (10) — "Remember the OEC teaser? Ugh I don’t think I’ve been more hyped for anything kpop related. Girl Front is a masterclass in big pop with quirky leanings. That chorus is just incredible, and Jinsouls bit is my favorite. The video almost made my little Orbit head explode with all the references."

@McQueer (10) — "The anticipation for this….and then the actual drop bitch!!! I’m still shook"

@ThighHighs (10) — "An absolute banger, and one of the only LOONA songs that my friends have ever actually requested. Their impact."

@teerofinale (9.5) — "Love love love this song!! OEC really did THAT with this song reaching out to international fans! Another song that caught international attention for all the right reasons! Hearing all 3 of these beautiful voices in this unit definitely make this song a powerhouse out of the all the units’ first singles!"

@ryjm (9.5) — "A delightfully obscure song, Girl Front was the perfect introduction to the magnificence that is OEC. I love how the lyrics reference each member’s solos and the production incorporates similar elements. Girl Front is probably LOONA’s most erratic sounding track, the frenetic production bounces all over the place and hypes you the fuck up! The song is just so damn catchy that I can’t help but sing along and mercilessly butcher the language. The MV is similarly erratic, throwing in so much symbolism that Orbits are still going through frame by frame to pick it all apart. To finish it off, our girls are given super powers?...as if they weren’t already heroes of KPOP."

@Petit nain des Îles (9.5) — "Oh this is their song? Drag me dddd. I've heard this one used as a meme a lot this past year, so I'm already familiar with the chorus. Instant fave as well."

@GeiPanda (9) — "This is so strange, disjointed. Somehow still works."

@Vixen (8.5) — "The girls keep on owning the synthpop genre, and they hadn’t even released ‘Hi High’ yet at that time. I’ll admit that the song does sometimes grate on me a little bit, but there’s no denying that it’s a bop. I absolutely love the male pitched-down vocal through the song, and that "sense of danger" being used in some places of the song, helped by some very syncopated vocal delivery and production perfectly timed. Also that bridge is just absolutely magical, ethereal and beautiful. Truly a moment.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Jinsoul has an amazing headvoice adlib that scales through some E#5, F#5 and tops at a surprising G#5 during the last chorus. We really love a main vocalist, huh xoxo! Kim Lip also has a falsetto D5/D#5 on the bridge which sounds cute."

@RUNAWAY (8) — "yeah, that's right, I don't love this song. It's all over the place for me, and it just doesn't do anything for me at all."

@eliminathan (8) — "It's good but Sweet Crazy Love is so much better so when I see people who think the opposite it makes me like this song less because get taste."

@Charles Vingt-†rois
    (6.75) — "nice but too bright after those interesting solo singles."

@yuuurei (6.5) — "The vocals here are great, but the song is a little too all over the place for my taste, and that distorted voice really irritates me!"

2. ☽ FINAL TWO ☾

[​IMG]
    Eclipse

VS

[​IMG]
    new

finale tonight @ 7:00 pm EST

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. JAJXHXHDJDJDHDJD LET THE FIGHTS BEGIN, UNNIES

LET GET THIS BREAD

ICONIQUE FINALE

4. Oh THANK GOD. Should have left about 10 places ago, but hey.

Ideally, 'Eclipse' would win, but like I said, I think 'new' has it in the bag.

nikkysan and vague like this.
  5. What a Top 2.

I’m happy with either winning, so i’ll just get comfortable and watch ya’ll fight to the death.

[​IMG]

6. I'm so happy Girl Front won!!!!!!

7. @Slice of Life we need to pencil in our fight since I’m going to bed real soon.

8. Me to you:
    [​IMG]

What time do you wake up? I'm very busy today at work so we can't fight right this moment.

9. At least and at last, something has gone right with these results! These two songs deserve to be the final two and whichever one wins it will be well-deserved. I think it's pretty obvious which one I'd prefer, but if the other takes it I won't be mad at it.

10. Sophisticated French aristocrat Yves for the win.

11. AT THIS BOX

12. New would probably win this which makes Eclipse #2 on two rates now and I don't know how to feel about that

But they're both very deserving so I say let's make this the winner instead

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  13. OEC's Red to Sweet Crazy Love's Velvet ❤️

14. I think it's especially apt that the rate boils down to these two, in that they both kind of represent dramatic shifts in the style and ontology of Loona as a fully-fledged group. Eclipse was a sexual awakening in a hitherto sexless universe. New was a serpent sliding into an ostensibly god-abiding paradise. The scope of the universe grew to epic proportions thanks to both songs.

15. And they also both slap

16. Both songs are deserving of winning, but I want my precious baby new to take this.

17. When you called her YVETTE on the SOTY 2017 rate

[​IMG]

18. Talent.

19. Talent recognizes talent, I love it.

20. Oh and RE: Girl Front's A TO Z: They pronounce Z as G because it's actually their secret signal for the Girls and the Gays to unite - The Z is just a cover up to confuse the straights. We stan ingenious LGBTQ+ talent!

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.