☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • TOP FIVE | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

☽ Rate Talent. Rate LOOΠΔ. ☾ the pre-debut rate • TOP FIVE

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by vague, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Imagine waking up to this. Fairy Tale most definitely didn't deserve to be the first song out. You people RUIN ME.

[​IMG]

Kuhleezi, McQueer, Oleander and 12 others like this.
  2. I may or may not have just lipsynced for my life to Singing In The Rain while waiting for my Uber home in the pouring rain.

3. Well I mean Heejin IS in the favOriTe video...

4. He

He

5. Do y'all hate Christmas or something? Did you only get coal in your stockings...?

6. dd ok that was a bit extra.

7. dddd not me thinking I'm being clever after the misdirect of the first elimination teaser and y'all still guessing this immediately. geedee it.

[​IMG]

Fill me up with many colors, the whole rainbow
    Something highlight, surprising changes
    All day long I'm laughing
    Because you're looking at me

[​IMG]

No.41
    ViViD (Acoustic Mix)

by LOOΠΔ / HeeJin

Score: 5.694

High scores: 10×1 (@eccentricsimply), 9.5×1 (@Petit nain des Îles), 9×1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Low scores: 1×1 (@Serg.), 2×3 (@ryjm, @send photo, @Kuhleezi), 3×2 (@Ana Raquel, @HappyBirthday)
    My score: 6

5 ballots: No.34, 5.9 avg.
    10 ballots: No.40, 5.45 avg.
    15 ballots: No.40, 5.4 avg.
    20 ballots: No.40, 5.513 avg.
    25 ballots: No.40, 5.27 avg.
    30 ballots: No.40, 5.358 avg.
    35 ballots: No.40, 5.593 avg.
    40 ballots: No.41, 5.556 avg.
    45 ballots: No.41, 5.589 avg.
    50 ballots: No.41, 5.63 avg.
    54 ballots: No.41, 5.694 avg.

"ViViD (Acoustic Mix)" is the b-side to HeeJin's self-titled debut single album, released on October 5, 2016, and is, you guessed it, an acoustic version of her title track, "ViViD". A live acoustic version of the song was uploaded to YouTube on October 19, 2017 in celebration of HeeJin's 16th birthday. The song was written by MonoTree's Park Jiyeon and GDLO, arranged by MonoTree's G-High, and composed by MonoTree's G-High, and Choi Youngkyung, the masterminds behind a ton of other LOOΠΔ tracks including "The Carol", "Uncover", and "D-1".

Not much to say about this one, I'm afraid. I agree with most of y'all that what makes the original "ViViD" so great is the funky production, which is missing here. I do use this, but sporadically. HeeJin's a born star, though, so she still shines on this version.

@eccentricsimply (10) — "Talent."

@Petit nain des Îles (9.5) — "Early 00's vibes bring the nostalgic girl in me! The latin influenced guitars have a strong R&B feel that might even surpass the original version. Perfect soundtrack for warm summer nights walking on a beach, not that I had the chance to do it as of late but let me fantasize a bit unnies!"

@RUNAWAY (9) — "this version takes the song into a completely different direction, and I freaking love it."

@Cotton Park (8) — "Heejin's ViViD and its unusual acoustic made jaded and cynical me consider the possibility that there was something more memorable and intreguing to LOONA besides a clever marketing ploy. I'm still not a theorist, but I jumped in."

@ohnostalgia (7.5) — "When you’re the first girl of the month so you don’t get the budget for two songs. The oh my god yes part is still intact so I have to give some points, but an acoustic coffee shop classic ViViD is not."

@eliminathan (7) — "Even though it's essentially the same song, I'm really not huge on brass instruments so this is a much more welcome instrumental. I also appreciate that the melody is not just generic chords like in most stripped or acoustic versions of songs, instead it seems thought out and they're actually playing original music. I wish the vocal track was redone because I feel like the way she sings the original does not fit with the new instrumental."

@mokimbird (7) — "surprisingly, the song still works as an acoustic piece, even if it loses a bit of the punch that the original instrumental has. it's got a more mellow, subtle vibe, and I dig it."

@codecat (6) — "If you strip most of the beautiful instrumentation on ViViD...it doesn't hold up as well but it's still a cute song. Ah...and the video...Paris is so beautiful~"

@ohaimanabu (6) — "I don't wanna bash on this because I don't like the original much, and acoustic doesn't make it any better. So i'll rate them the same!"

@Remorque (5.5) — "I've stated time and time again in other rates where we have to rate acoustic versions of songs that I'm not here for them, unless they do something really great with it. This is not the case, but she sounds good, I guess..."

@yuuurei (5) — "The slower arrangement is nice on its own, but it just doesn't work with the song imo, and the production makes HeeJin's lovely voice sound tinny? I don't really care for it."

@OspreyQueen (5) — "I’ll throw some points at it for being a little bit less snoozeworthy than most acoustic versions."

@GeiPanda (5) — "This just sounds like the original, but with the instrumental taken out - ok, I know that's basically the point of acoustic mixes... but y'all remember 2NE1's Come Back Home unplugged version? That's how you do an acoustic mix; by adding some insight/emotion missing from the original."

@He (5) — "Unnecesary, as acoustic versions always are."

@Slice of Life (4) — "Believe it or not, I actually stan acoustic guitar-driven songs but ViViD is not a song that should've been ""acoustified"". The production was the best part of the song and in this acoustic mix, all the production details that I love disappeared."

@Empty Shoebox (4) — "I prefer the original, as you probably could have guessed."

@Vixen (4) — "A ‘4’ might sound harsh, but I just don’t think it brings anything new to the song? You know how sometimes acoustic version will give a very nostalgic feeling to a song? Or how it will sometimes give it a completely different atmosphere? Well, that just doesn’t happen here. Combine that with the fact that ‘ViVid’ is not necessarily an AMAZING song, and you just end up with a very lacklustre alternative version."

@ThighHighs (4) — "It’s fine and she sounds good but I don’t care about it. I was ready for this Live Lounge to end as soon as it started."

@Charles Vingt-†rois (3.5) — "better instrumental and more interesting soundscape but still not enough."

@Ana Raquel (3) — "Acoustic versions ruining songs since forever. Color me shocked."

@HappyBirthday (3) — "… did they literally use the same vocals from the regular version?"

@ryjm (2) — "There was literally no need for this to exist, why BBC did HeeJin dirty and deprived her of an actual B-Side I don’t know."

@send photo (2) — "Ddd low score but I wouldn't be too thrilled about this knocking out other songs ya feel"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. My lowest score being the first one going home???? And one of my two threes already leaving????????? is this heaven

9. Rain51db next xoxo

10. ☽ TOP 40 ☾

[​IMG]
    ViViD
    다녀가요 (Around You)
    I'll Be There
    소년, 소녀 (Let Me In)
    키스는 다음에 (Kiss Later)
    My Sunday
    My Melody
    지금, 좋아해 (Love&Live)
    You and Me Together
    3월을 기다려 (Valentine Girl)
    Everyday I love you (feat. HaSeul)
    Everyday I need you (feat. JinSoul)
    알 수 없는 비밀 (Sonatine)
    비의 목소리 51db (Rain 51db)

[​IMG]
    Eclipse
    Twilight
    Singing in the Rain
    Love Letter
    Love Cherry Motion
    Puzzle
    Girl Front
    LOONATIC
    Chaotic
    Starlight
    Sweet Crazy Love
    Uncover
    ODD Front

[​IMG]
    new
    D-1
    Heart Attack
    Girl's Talk
    One&Only
    See Saw (feat. Kim Lip)
    Egoist (feat. JinSoul)
    Rosy (feat. HeeJin)
    love4eva (feat. Grimes)
    frozen
    one way
    rendezvous 18.6y

[​IMG]
    favOriTe

11. Yes. Next question.

12. The gradient... The talent...

Graphic design is my passion, but done right and with taste...

The talentry truly jumped out...

13. He

He

Poor yyxy doesn’t have the most commercial color combination.

myblood, Kuhleezi, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  14. Wow yyxy's colours really aren't great together, we stan a mismatched mess of a subunit. OEC obviously had the most thought behind their colour theory and 1/3 went for nice bright colours but yyxy has peach, burgundy, mint and grey.

15. Ex-squeeze me, but Queen of the Crunch's color is EDEN green. When will the OEC and 1/3 gorlz have a color so intricately related to their theme and story? I think never, that is. xoxo

16. [​IMG]

In this unknown, unfamiliar place
    I've lost my way, no one is coming
    Which way should I go?
    Like I’m trapped in a maze, I'm just blankly walking

[​IMG]

No.40
    one way

by LOOΠΔ / yyxy

Score: 5.935

High scores: 10×2 (@yuuurei, @Vixen), 9×2 (@RUNAWAY, @eccentricsimply), 8.5×3 (@eliminathan, @Remorque, @aaronhansome)
    Low scores: 1×3 (@Serg., @HappyBirthday, @Charles Vingt-†rois), 1.5×1 (@teerofinale), 2×2 (@Rainbow Trousers, @Hurricane Drunk)
    My score: 5.5

5 ballots: No.41, 4.1 avg.
    10 ballots: No.41, 4.75 avg.
    15 ballots: No.43, 4.6 avg.
    20 ballots: No.42, 4.963 avg.
    25 ballots: No.43, 4.83 avg.
    30 ballots: No.42, 5.133 avg.
    35 ballots: No.42, 5.414 avg.
    40 ballots: No.40, 5.675 avg.
    45 ballots: No.39, 5.944 avg.
    50 ballots: No.40, 5.97 avg.
    54 ballots: No.40, 5.935 avg.

"one way" is the fourth track on LOOΠΔ / yyxy's debut mini-album, "beauty&thebeat", released on May 30, 2018. It was written by daLLy and Kam Dong is (Park Jiwon), and arranged+composed by Kam Dong is (Park Jiwon), Seo Jaeha, and Kim Yeongseong.

In the liner notes for "beauty&thebeat", BlockBerry Creative described the track as:
    I'm usually a hoe for ballads, but this really doesn't do a whole lot for me. Still, in hindsight, I shoulda bumped my score up a point or two, but that wouldn't have changed its ranking so w/e. One thing I do love, though, is how great everyone sounds - even Go Won. Stunnting vocals from Chuu in particular, who was sick when she recorded this, making how great she sounds even more impressive to me.

@yuuurei (10) — "The most ballad-y track in the LOONA discography, I think, and it's a stunner. The lyrics are so moving and the vocals are incredible - I especially love Chuu's impressive tone here, but everyone sounds awesome. This is absolutely gorgeous, and tbh if you think otherwise, you're wrong." (well, at least it made the top 40 ...... out of 44 songs)

@Vixen (10) — "Oh, I’ll fight so many of you on this one… Ya’ll are really out there praising melody-less stuff like ‘Sonatine’ and saying this stuff is bad because it’s a piano ballad?! YA’LL ARE TASTELESS. This is so beautiful, with great vocals in spades and some really great emoting too. It’s a very solid ballad that I know will be done dirty in this rate.
    V-ocal-ixen moment of the day: Yves sounds absolutely fucking fantastic on this. I love how they said her vocals were “dry” dddd, I can kind of hear it, but it just works perfectly for this ballad. She just has a very pretty tone when she sings with her chest voice. There’s many decent mixed C5 here from Yves, Chuu and Olivia. Honestly, the vocals on this song are really good, they truly delivered."

@eccentricsimply (9) — "Such a beautiful song."

@eliminathan (8.5) — "The verses kind of lead into an emotional ballad bop but the chorus falls a bit flat which is disappointing. I do love the verses though."

@Remorque (8.5) — "The first traditional ballad in their discography, I think? It's actually quite a lovely affair with the girls tryng their best. The production's quite standard Kpop, so I can't really fault it, can I? Though I am afraid this will be one of the first out's, because, wel... ballad."

@mokimbird (8) — "makes beautiful use of all four girls' voices. echoes Red Velvet's "One Of These Nights," honestly."

@GeiPanda (8) — "This is actually quite beautiful. The lyrics are devastating."

@Slice of Life (7.5) — "An okay ballad. Surprisingly, Yves impressed me the most here. Her mature vocals really work so well here. Get those OST coin, Kween!"

@codecat (7) — "No other description could top BBC gay intern's magnum opus, and every commentary I come up with feels belittled next to 'Yves opens with a dry voice...Chuu's fills up the space with her voice full of moisture...GoWon's crunchy voice and Olivia Hye's voice with the duality...'"

@ryjm (6) — "One Way is a ballad done right and is the kind of song I can get behind, every member sounds beautiful here (our precious Go Won steals my heart with her post chorus refrain). While the song itself is a standard ballad, Yves and Chuu go off, reiterating that LOOΠΔ has a phenomenal range of voices."

@He (6) — "Vocals, beautiful vocals. Chuu, Yves and Haseul would be a great fit for OST. It’s very pretty but quite forgettable."

@Petit nain des Îles (6) — "Felt like a while since they had done a proper ballad. Not really my thing but this is fine I guess? At least she puts on a good performance, and the strings elevate it above average."

@ohnostalgia (5.5) — "Sigh."

@ohaimanabu (4) — "Ah yes, another ballad i don't give a shit about. I'm sorry everyone :("

@Ana Raquel (3) — "Balladphobia strikes again."

@Empty Shoebox (3) — "I'm getting...nothing from this. Sorry."

@HappyBirthday (1) — "Let Me In and Sonatine prove LOONA can pull off killer ballads. So why is this one so boring?"

@Charles Vingt-†rois (1) — "why?"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  17. I was ready to drag @Serg. for giving One Way a 1 but then I checked my scores and I gave it a 4 (and my lowest score) so... oop.
    It definitely grew on me since submitting my ballot. The 'I know I know I know' and 'be love be love be love' parts are really, really nice.

19. Literally one of the few yyxy songs I like nñn

20. He

He

Dryness, moisture, crunchiness, duality.

The gay intern was in overdrive. An icon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.